Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I realized today that my insurance company has the wrong vin for my tC. The last 5 of mine are 20647. They had 20648. So I called immediately to correct it. When they changed it, the customer service rep told me that my rate would go up by $30 due to the change. I can't figure out why the car that came off the assembly line after mine would be $30 cheaper to insure. Unless it has side air bags, then it's probably the exact same as my tC. Any other ideas?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Why didn't you ask them? USAA is usually pretty good about telling you why the rates change. I always ask why.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's strange since you only changed the last digit, it's the first 10 digits that tell you what kind of vehicle it is. I don't know what they are trying to pull by raising your rates and blaming it on the vin digit. Could be they thought it had side air bags? Is that $30 per month, $30 per year, or $30 per 6 months?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the rep called me back. Turns out that for the first 5 years or so of a car being on the market, the insurance industry constantly keeps track of how much it costs to repair cars. Apparently, by changing the vin, it gets processed as a different car, so it gets re-appraised in the computer system. Since I insured it with them last about 2 months ago, our car has been raised by a point on the scale. So, $30 extra per 6 months. ####ty, but not a huge deal.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Sorry about that. Mine was one of the ones that made it go up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
$5/month more. no big.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally posted by Azrael@Aug 5 2005, 03:07 PM
So the rep called me back. Turns out that for the first 5 years or so of a car being on the market, the insurance industry constantly keeps track of how much it costs to repair cars. Apparently, by changing the vin, it gets processed as a different car, so it gets re-appraised in the computer system. Since I insured it with them last about 2 months ago, our car has been raised by a point on the scale. So, $30 extra per 6 months. ####ty, but not a huge deal.
What you've got to do is tell your agent to backdate the change of your vin back to the date you bought it. The rate for the Scion today may be higher than the rate when you started the policy, no big deal. If he makes the change effective today it is going to be at today's rate, but if he makes the change effective when you first got the vehicle (which is when the correct vin # should have been entered anyway) you will get the rate it was then. I'm an insurance agent myself, probably not with the same company, but that should do the trick if that is in fact what is raising your rate.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 5 2005, 11:11 AM
Why didn't you ask them?  USAA is usually pretty good about telling you why the rates change.  I always ask why.
USAA? Ugh..

I work for a 3rd party insurrance company who handles all of USAA's medical billing for auto-insurrance. I never thought I'd see something work related HERE! lol

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you guys notice that I didn't mention USAA in my first post, yet Lance already knew that I had them? His knowledge is delves into the realm of the supernatural!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It was in a previous thread.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 8 2005, 08:39 AM
It was in a previous thread.
And you are also a mind-reading turbo demon....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't remember posting it in another thread...I figured you just guessed because you know I'm Air Force.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.