Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would trim down the info from my other thread regarding sunroof issue fixes. This should be able to serve as a listing of fixes for various issues people have had with the roof. I can add any other info to this original post so it stays up top if anyone adds anything.

Back of glass seems to have play when closed, causing wind noise around the back of the glass

You may also notice that when you shut the doors, you see the glass jump a bit from the air pressure.

1) Remove negative battery cable for a few minutes
2) Replace and initialize the sunroof per the owners manual instructions. The issue is most likely that it "lost" its memory of full close. It should shut nice and tight with no play afterward. May fix some rattles as well

Jam protection triggers a lot when closing
1) Clean track assembly and lubricate if needed
2) lubricate the top of the deflector arms with some silicone lube

The arms are pushed down by the front of the sunroof when it is closed, which closes the deflector. This may stop some of the creaking some experience as well.

Rattles in the front of the deflector area
1) Dab a bit of grease into the pivots for the deflector arms. These have play in them and will rattle around when the glass is closed if the joint is dry. The grease (white lithium works well) will serve to dampen the movement and reduce the rattle.

A felt washer of some sort could probably be added by removing the pivot pin. This would probably get rid of all that rattle.

I have found that most issues with it are simple things like this. When you take it apart, the unit is actually pretty solid and well thought out. Keeping it serviced well and lubricated will reduce most issues.

Creaking noise towards front of sunroof when going over uneven pavement
Mine just started doing this a bit, so a I took a bit of time and figured it out. Basically the same fix as the rattle mentioned above. Only I needed to get the grease down into the joint better. The "creak" was actually the arms side to side play on the pin, coupled with pressure from the sunroof still pressing on the arms (didnt do it when the glass was fully opened) and the fact that the pins were dry.
1) The pins that hold the deflector arms to the deflector are held in place by a C-clip on the inboard side. Snap this off (dont lose it)
2) Pull the pin out and pull the deflector arms out of the tabs on the deflector. I recommend only doing one side at a time so the other side supports the glass for you.
3) Glob some thick grease (I used white lithium grease) into the holes for the pins, and dip the pin in some of the grease as well.
4) Replace the pin and clip, and whipe any excess grease off the outside where it is visible.
5) I also wiped a thin layer of grease on top of the arms (I do this every now and then). Silicone works well since you cant really see it and it doenst trap dust as much.

Issue is fixed. Again, this and most issues with the roof I think are just clean up and lubricate items rather than actual issues with the device.

·
*Insert Something Cool*
2,101 Posts
nice write up.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump for those that may want to see it. I will probably put this on the wiki as well. Like I mentioned, most of this is just simple maintenance that gets missed by the average driver.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
QUOTE (engifineer @ Sep 11 2007, 04:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342319
2) lubricate the top of the deflector arms with some silicone lube[/b]
Thanks for the write up, I missed it the first time.

I know I asked Doc Iso about this and I forgot to do it. So, just a simple rag and lube? Any particular brand of silicone lube? And do I use the silicone lube as the cleaner?

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just clean it first and then use silicone spray lube on a towel and wipe it on. You can grease some of the moving parts with white lithium grease, but that part you want to keep dry so it doesnt make a mess, so the silicone spray works well there.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Added more info on the "creak" some hear from the sunroof. Thought it may be helpful.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Thanks! I've been having the "creak" lately. I've been meaning to take a look at it, but just haven't had time. Now that I know I won't have to use trial and error, I'll probably fix it this weekend.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we asked to pin it previously so we could collect this info in one place... I had thought it was pinned until I looked for it today

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
This was one of my best friends when I was a del Sol owner:

Lasts considerably longer than the plain Pyroil stuff, and less likely to attract dirt to the seals, no matter how much you glob on there. For grease, there's a dealer on eBay that sells a product called "Gorilla Snawt", a hobby grease-- but I've found that it works insanely well in every imaginable application. Completely waterproof and loaded with Teflon, it lasts forever, it seems. I was a Marine Grease guy (excellent if you're feelin' cheap) until I discovered the Snawt.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
QUOTE (Dr. Isotope @ May 9 2008, 08:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=396892
This was one of my best friends when I was a del Sol owner:

Lasts considerably longer than the plain Pyroil stuff, and less likely to attract dirt to the seals, no matter how much you glob on there. For grease, there's a dealer on eBay that sells a product called "Gorilla Snawt", a hobby grease-- but I've found that it works insanely well in every imaginable application. Completely waterproof and loaded with Teflon, it lasts forever, it seems. I was a Marine Grease guy (excellent if you're feelin' cheap) until I discovered the Snawt.[/b]
Does this spray help lubricate the sunroof weather strip as well? Door jam weather strip?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Any weatherstripping. Spray a liberal amount onto a cloth, then wipe down the seals. Keep doing it until the silicone won't soak in quickly. After that, you're set for at least 6 months, maybe longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (engifineer @ Sep 11 2007, 04:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342319
Figured I would trim down the info from my other thread regarding sunroof issue fixes. This should be able to serve as a listing of fixes for various issues people have had with the roof. I can add any other info to this original post so it stays up top if anyone adds anything.

Back of glass seems to have play when closed, causing wind noise around the back of the glass

You may also notice that when you shut the doors, you see the glass jump a bit from the air pressure.

1) Remove negative battery cable for a few minutes
2) Replace and initialize the sunroof per the owners manual instructions. The issue is most likely that it "lost" its memory of full close. It should shut nice and tight with no play afterward. May fix some rattles as well

2) lubricate the top of the deflector arms with some silicone lube

The arms are pushed down by the front of the sunroof when it is closed, which closes the deflector. This may stop some of the creaking some experience as well.

Rattles in the front of the deflector area
1) Dab a bit of grease into the pivots for the deflector arms. These have play in them and will rattle around when the glass is closed if the joint is dry. The grease (white lithium works well) will serve to dampen the movement and reduce the rattle.

A felt washer of some sort could probably be added by removing the pivot pin. This would probably get rid of all that rattle.

I have found that most issues with it are simple things like this. When you take it apart, the unit is actually pretty solid and well thought out. Keeping it serviced well and lubricated will reduce most issues.

Creaking noise towards front of sunroof when going over uneven pavement
Mine just started doing this a bit, so a I took a bit of time and figured it out. Basically the same fix as the rattle mentioned above. Only I needed to get the grease down into the joint better. The "creak" was actually the arms side to side play on the pin, coupled with pressure from the sunroof still pressing on the arms (didnt do it when the glass was fully opened) and the fact that the pins were dry.
1) The pins that hold the deflector arms to the deflector are held in place by a C-clip on the inboard side. Snap this off (dont lose it)
2) Pull the pin out and pull the deflector arms out of the tabs on the deflector. I recommend only doing one side at a time so the other side supports the glass for you.
3) Glob some thick grease (I used white lithium grease) into the holes for the pins, and dip the pin in some of the grease as well.
4) Replace the pin and clip, and whipe any excess grease off the outside where it is visible.
5) I also wiped a thin layer of grease on top of the arms (I do this every now and then). Silicone works well since you cant really see it and it doenst trap dust as much.

Issue is fixed. Again, this and most issues with the roof I think are just clean up and lubricate items rather than actual issues with the device.[/b]

Alright, new to the forum, but I got my scion used and it didnt come with a owners manuel and they were expensive as hell everywhere i looked or you had to buy multiple. I'm having the issue with it not sealing all the way and the wind noise from the back. So what all does the:
include?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually i figured it out nevermind. Disconnected the neg and it recalibrated itself. She started idling really rough for a little and i did it all over again and was still kinda rough then seemed to settle it out. Was pretty weird though, anyone else had these problems?

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ECU has to relearn parameters after you disconnect the battery for a bit. It is normal for it to idle rough until you drive it around for a while afterwards.

The part in the owners manual to reset the windows (all of them need to be reset after you disconnect the battery for a bit).

1) Roll window half way down (if the passenger window, do it from the passenger side button, not the drivers side)
2) Roll it up and hold the button for about 6-7 more seconds

That will re-initialize them

·
Registered
172 Posts
QUOTE (engifineer @ Jul 27 2010, 01:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=567544
1) Roll window half way down (if the passenger window, do it from the passenger side button, not the drivers side)
2) Roll it up and hold the button for about 6-7 more seconds

That will re-initialize them[/b]
This also applies to the sunroof.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep... that is what I was writing it for.. just forgot to include sunroof in the sentence :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something flew out...

OK, so I don't see anything about my issue.

I was driving down the highway when something white and long flew out of the sunroof. I'm assuming it was some kind of weather stripping or insulation??

Right away when I closed the sunroof it would whistle.

I could get it to seal enough that the whistle would be really quiet at first, especially if I closed it when I was at a standstill. If I closed it while moving then it wouldn't seal properly.

Now it's gotten worse and worse.

I took it to the dealership and they didn't believe me that something flew out of it!!!

Please help!? Can someone point me to some proof that there should have been something in there? What is the part?

I really need them to fix this correctly or it's just going to keep on messing up and I will be out of warranty.

Why are dealership repair shops all so douche-baggy. Ugh!

·
*Insert Something Cool*
2,101 Posts
You should take a pic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts