Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious cuz I never opened the hood while it was running. Can you guys see if you can hear your valve with the hood open please? It's about as loud as someone tapping their fingernails on a table lightly. Just wanna know cuz I almost redlined today and I have about 1150 miles. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yep, me too. I noticed it after around 2k. When I did my last oil change, it disappeared. Then it came back aroun 2k later. The service guy I talked to says it's normal, but I don't trust him.

Damon or Mickael,
See if your servise dept thinks this is normal or not and let us know. Thanx.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm using synthetic. I only have another 500 mi to go till my next oil change. It seems to me that after the oil gets a little wear, viscosity may be breaking down causing less cushion in the lifters/valves, causing the ticking sound. Just a guess?!?! Anyone else have a better one? Maybe 5W30 is too thin? The owners manual says we can sub 10W30. Maybe I'll give it a try next oil change. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
936 Posts
you will always here it, its part chain/lifter noise.......unless yours is loud enough to cause panic, dont waste your money trying to remedy it. Just a thought - t

·
Registered
730 Posts
But why does it go away after I change the oil, just to return later???

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hm... could be valve springs, could even be a bent valve. But I doubt those. The Viscosity of oil both organic and synthetic does break down over time and things start to receive less protection from the oil and you may start to hear tapping. You can buy oil friction modifiers of all sorts that claim to help keep the oil's natural viscosity longer without changing the weight. I'd try one of those and see if it helps. If this persists, you may want to take it it... could just be a fluke. Does anyone else have this tapping? If so, how many miles did your car have when you first heard it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another reason I asked was because I have a VW Fox too and that car has 133,000 miles on it it runs great but you can hear the lifters (probably because of buildup in the lifters)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sciontist,

As far as your VW Fox goes, have you ever done a valve adjustment? That could fix your problem right there. Overtime, the valve clearances can change, and will make that "tapping" noise.

Now for the tC, does this "tapping" noise happen after it had been warmed up all the way? When you first start it up? Other than that, I have no idea... I don't personally own a tC at the moment, so I cannot think of what it might be, unless I hear it myself.

Btw, why can't you open your hood and hear it for yourself? Can you mess with the throttle, to hear it at different RPM's? If you can (I wouldn't know.. never seen much of the engine bay. I just know the intake manni' is in the back) maybe you can pinpoint where the sound is comming from. i.e. valve cover, heat shield, ect.

Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can't play with the throttle cuz its "drive by wire" kinda setup, besides its in a tight place. That's the first thing that I looked to try. and yes, warmed up all the way. It's from the valve cover, it's probably normal. I'll just go with normal.

·
Registered
730 Posts
OK, I just changed the oil (10,026 mi) and the ticking is now gone!!! I used synthetic, again. I'll let you all know when it comes back.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by SSR Engineering@Sep 30 2004, 11:28 AM
No, that's not your valves ticking. It's your injectors firing.
Doubtful.... although injectors do make a tick... it would be constant as long as the car is running... he is saying that it goes away with an oil change.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well,

I'm at 12K now and the ticking is BACK!!! Damnitalltohell! What gives?!?!

·
Registered
299 Posts
hmmmm i dunno if this is the same thing as you guys are talking about... i dont hear any ticking, tapping while the car is running, however after driving awhile and i turn off the engine, there's a ticking/tapping noise..

i asked the service guy when i went to get my leather seat taken out for repair and he said that its the exhaust expanding and contracting cause the car is new... and that'd it'd go away after around 7k or 8K miles

you guys are obviously over that mileage so i'm probably taking about something totally different! forgive the car n00b!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah SG, I get that too, I already knew what that was though. I got that on a lot of my other cars. I'm not sure if it ever goes away but it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My valve ticking just started at 1550 miles and when I checked the oil, it looked a bit low. Gonna wait until daylight to get a closer look at it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts