Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ever since I was told to not keep the clutch pushed in at red lights and instead put the car in nuetral, I was wondering about another thing. Is it okay if say I'm coming to an exit-ramp and I'll eventually need to fully stop and I'm naturally in 5th gear, as soon as I get below ~45mph I know I'll need to down shift, and what I use to do was just push the clutch in all the way and wait till I fully stopped (while braking of course). But hearing that this is bad from lance, is it better if I push the clutch in, shift to nuetral, release clutch, and just come to a stop? I just want to know the proper ways to do these things is all. Is this the proper way to do this in this scenario? I'm not going to keep downshifting through each gear b/c that seems like a waste of a clutch.

I think what I'm describing as the okay way is right, but if I'm not, please tell me what to do instead.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just clutch out of whatever gear I'm in into neutral and let the clutch out in neutral while coming to a stop. No point in downshifting at all besides more wear and tear on the engine.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yep its what I do and I have had no problems after 6 years of driving manuals in fact in fifth you can just pull it out of gear without using the clutch..and I think that this is ok

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
I've tried doing that, since I usually put it in neutral when at a light, but I feel like I have less control of the car that way. I know it's just psychological, but I always feel more in control when I have it in gear with the clutch pushed in while braking. Sometimes I just freak out that I'm going to have to start speeding up for something in an emergency and not be able to get the clutch pushed in and back in gear in time. I usually just keep the clutch pushed in while braking, and then downshift to the appropriate gear without releasing the clutch. That way, I know I can just left of the clutch and go, if I need to quickly.

But, I could be completely wrong in doing that. I don't know much about what it does to the clutch or anything.

I also sometimes pop it in and out of first when I'm at a light, just because I'm bored... That's probably not too good for me to do though... Especially when I screw up and let off the clutch when it's still in first...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
You would be fine just pulling it out of neutral and putting it into gear. If you are that concerned slide in 5th until about 35ish, then put it into 3rd which will take you down until under 10 before you "have to" downshift. If you dont feel comfortable being able to get the car into gear within a second or so maybe you should practice some more

The way a clutch works is that you push the clutch in and it has a fork which pulls a bearing and pushes it against the clutch fingers to disengage the clutch, you are putting a decent amount of stress on these pieces because they are fighting a spring. The less time the clutch is pushed in the better. JUST DONT DO IT!!!! hehe

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Feb 3 2006, 09:29 AM
You would be fine just pulling it out of neutral and putting it into gear. If you are that concerned slide in 5th until about 35ish, then put it into 3rd which will take you down until under 10 before you "have to" downshift. If you dont feel comfortable being able to get the car into gear within a second or so maybe you should practice some more

The way a clutch works is that you push the clutch in and it has a fork which pulls a bearing and pushes it against the clutch fingers to disengage the clutch, you are putting a decent amount of stress on these pieces because they are fighting a spring. The less time the clutch is pushed in the better. JUST DONT DO IT!!!! hehe
why does it sound like a "ALHHK"'s goes at the end of this statement?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Neutral is your Friend. I use neutral alot; and i also double shift alot also. But when im coming to a stop i use neutral and if i see traffic moving, i look at the speed that am going then downshift or shift to any gear it belongs. Everyone have there own way of shifting, i would like to see the right exact way of doing it. I sometime feel like i burn alot of clutch; but then again thats just me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i haven't heard the full explanation of why it's bad to leave the clutch in at a stop, to me it sounds like people think the clutch is going to die quite soon. how much (in expected mileage) does it shorten the life of your clutch to leave it in at stoplights, stop signs, etc?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It shortens the life of the thrust bearings on the crank. The clutch doesn't care either way. Crankwalk is a known problem with DSMs, and if you sit at lights with the clutch in, you are putting a lot of constant stress on the thrust bearings.

Most of this stuff is subjective. Stops in neutral and stops in gear have no practical difference to the engine as long as you don't come to a complete stop in gear. Because the engine is at full vacuum, there's little difference in fuel economy, and because the engine isn't making any significant torque, the brakes don't really care either.

On the track, you always have the car in gear while braking. You never brake for a turn in neutral; you're not controlling the car with it in neutral, and you are expecting to accelerate anyway. On the street, it's 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

I do exactly what EddieMoney described, I downshift to 3rd while approaching a light because 3rd is the most useful gear in the gearbox for normal street speeds.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thnx guys. I feel better now

And yeah, my dad drives a standard too, and swares that he's never worn down a clutch or anything else for that matter by having the clutched pressed in at a light and in gear ready to go. But I know lance is really smart with this stuff, so I'll listen to him and keep her in N.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, b/c you loose all engine breaking when the car is in N. When I put it in N when I know I'm going to be coming to a full stop, and just start braking, it feels like I'm driving an automatic, lol. I love how fast our manual tC drops speed when you let off the gas, and when you're going down a hill you don't need to brake much at all. Just get off the gas.. it's nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Feb 3 2006, 03:23 PM
Thnx guys. I feel better now

And yeah, my dad drives a standard too, and swares that he's never worn down a clutch or anything else for that matter by having the clutched pressed in at a light and in gear ready to go. But I know lance is really smart with this stuff, so I'll listen to him and keep her in N.
Yea, thats why I just leave it in gear and hold the clutch down when I stop at a stoplight. My dad has always done it, and I just picked it up from him. I just supposed it must not be too bad though since he's never had a problem with doing it and he's been driving standards for years.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I used to do the same thing. I've been driving manuals for 40 years now, and owned quite a few of them. I don't anymore primarily because I've seen the problems with DSMs and occasionally with other imports. I don't know if it is the bearings themselves or the way they are oiled, I've just seen problems with it that are expensive to repair. Very expensive. So I've adopted the sit in neutral method to preserve the thrust bearings as a habit.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.