Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on Engadget today: http://www.drgadget.co.uk/product.php?xProd=759&xSec=1

I LOVE the idea of having a USB port on the HU. Many new home stereo receivers (see Denon, lust...) have features like this. This HU could be total garbage, but that's not my question. How does "universal-ity" with products from different continents work with cars? Is it similar to if I take something overseas I can't plug it in the wall socket without a converter, or is everything the same? I posted a while ago about the Panasonic 2-din tube amp HU from Japan and thought the same thing.

·
Registered
730 Posts
European radios have a different tuner bandwidth and spacing. FM band should be OK w/ the exception of losing a couple of upper band channels but AM prolly won't work. The spacing for AM channels is 9KhZ instead of 10KhZ. So channels won't line up. E.G.-630 may be ok but the next channel would be 639 instead of 640. Then 648, 657, 666...you get the idea. The rest of the functions of the radio should be fine.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by Boombacloud@Jul 8 2005, 08:37 AM
I saw that post on engadget as well. Interesting system. I'm kinda curious about the interoperability myself.

I kinda like the car puter they detailed later.
Infill's In-Dash PC
Meh, I can build one myself for cheaper.. have it be faster.. and run my own software. Being an engineer can be a good thing

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd rather build one myself too. But for a couple hundred dollars, it might be worth looking at.

Although, I found another site that had that same product (much cheaper too) with some reviews and people said the USB link controls hardly ever work, but the SD does.

Methinks I want to put a Mac Mini in or build my own Linux box...

Thanks for the info Greg, u r teh r0x0r

·
Registered
658 Posts
The FM should be just fine. I have an American car radio in europe and it works okay. The only problem that i had was that the radi catches only even numbers. The car radios in europe can catch even and uneven numbers like FM 94.4 or 94.5. So i dont think you have any problems with the FM i dont anything about the AM, but i'm sure Alpman is right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.