Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Flint Mica I test drove yesterday had 252 miles on it. I'm debating between the Flint Mica and the Nautical Blue. My question is, at what mileage does a car begin to be referred to as used, or at a minimum not brand new? Not that 252 miles is alot, but I just think that if I walked in tomorrow and bought it as opposed to ordering a brand new, there should be some sort of discount. Am I way off on this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The car has to be previously driven to be qualified as used,so,seeing as the tC hasn't been previously driven and traded in,it should still be qualified as new,right?? Oh yeah, you won't get a discount on the tC because of Scions' "pure pricing".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I just needed to be reaffirmed that I wasn't crazy for thinking that a "new" car with 250+ test drive miles isn't really new anymore. I mentioned that I wanted FLint Mica and they of course said, "Great, just take this one. No wait!" Now to choose between FM and Nautical Blue. So indecisive!

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah screw the dealer cuz they want to make a sale.. they don't give a crap if you buy a test driven car (aka beat to hell).. it's not like they're taking any $$ off, and no amount of $$$ could fix the abuse.. better to try another dealer if that's what they're tryin' on ya..

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I really doubt that those miles were taken easy. I don't know how important break-ins really are, but I would want one with less than 10 test drive miles. Mine had 3.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by EnronCFO@Jul 24 2005, 04:37 PM
The Flint Mica I test drove yesterday had 252 miles on it. I'm debating between the Flint Mica and the Nautical Blue. My question is, at what mileage does a car begin to be referred to as used, or at a minimum not brand new? Not that 252 miles is alot, but I just think that if I walked in tomorrow and bought it as opposed to ordering a brand new, there should be some sort of discount. Am I way off on this?
Screw that man my tC had 6 mi that I put on it from a test drive when I took it off the lot. 250+ is almost the first tank of gas.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
It's new so long as the dealership holds the paper on it. Once you sign on the dotted line, it's "used". You don't even have to pull out of the lot-- it just magically depreciates by X amount. Some cars more than others. But for any car in the tC price range, that's about $2k in the wind.

If you can find any dealership anywhere that will offer you anything other than a free soda because the lot car has 250 miles on it... make your next search for the Holy Grail or the Fountain of Youth. Your luck may hold out.

I had 18 miles on mine-- maybe 4 test drives total. My wife's Corolla we ordered-- it had .2 miles on it-- yes, that's 0.2 miles-- before we test drove it up to a big 6 on the clock.

·
Registered
185 Posts
mines had 1 mile on thursday, now it's over 250. knowing what i drove to get to 200 miles i wouldn't like to buy a "new" car with those many miles on it. you don't know who test drove it and how.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by EnronCFO@Jul 24 2005, 04:37 PM
the car becomes a used vehicle the moment it is reported to the DMV (or, whatever your state calls it). It has nothing to do with miles. We sold our recient xB demo with 970 miles on it and, it was sold as a new car because it was.

Like I said, when it gets reported as sold then, it is a used car.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by sitdowncomic@Jul 26 2005, 10:45 AM
Think of [it] as a girl, do you want her to have 2 miles or 250?
i respect what you are saying but, it doesn't make much since.

I really, really, want to go off on this but, I know the mileage thing has been discussed. Search for that topic to find out how i feel about miles on a new car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i don't feel like reading all the other people's comments.. but i just read the sub-heading for this topic..

"At what point does a car become not new?"

the car is considered used when you buy it from a previous owner.. just because it has miles on it doesn't mean it's "used".. literally, yes, but to car dealerships, no. having miles on the car just means it's been test driven before and what not. silly kids.

·
Registered
243 Posts
oh boy, im getting my tc on wednesday, in a dealer trade. i hope the tc doesnt have a bunch of miles on it already, i want to be the first one to use it, that would feel great, but i guess if it has been test driven, there isnt much i can do about it. oh well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was under the impression this was common knowledge. USED=PREVIOUSLY OWNED; "Excessive" miles= demo..

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by Shark_bite@Jul 29 2005, 11:05 AM
oh boy, im getting my tc on wednesday, in a dealer trade. i hope the tc doesnt have a bunch of miles on it already, i want to be the first one to use it, that would feel great, but i guess if it has been test driven, there isnt much i can do about it. oh well.
you are at least going to have the number of miles that are between the dealerships. and any miles that got put on befor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.