Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 5spd which exhibits no problems under normal driving, but I have something I was wondering about. I noticed this on the first week I had the car.

Basically, as Ive read on various forums, and in the tC manual itself, its best to immediately get going and gingerly drive it to get the car warmed up. It feels like (when the engine would normally be in high idle) that it 'surges' a bit. nothign dramatic but I can feel a bit of.. hmm, fluctuation, early in the morning when Im making my first minute or so of driving in first/2nd. Is this normal? I dont believe I have any transmission issues as its buttah everywhere else and I noticed it with under 150 miles on the clock. It also seems to go away near instantly once I get going and the car warms up. like, Ill feel it going in first or 2nd up to the stopsign where I get on to the main road, then by the time I have to start in first again its not noticable or there.

Also, its not a very pronounced thing, although my girlfriend did notice it and ask about it. Its like the engine is still trying to go in high idle in first gear while your pulling out.

Ive only noticed this after the car was sitting all night and it was reasonably cold out, Ill have to pay attention tomorrow, as its been pretty warm for a while now.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Basically, you're driving with the choke on. Now before anyone jumps up and down about not having a choke, or what's a choke, all I'm saying is that while the engine is coming up to operating temp, the ECU dails in a different air/fuel map to help the process.
If I'm wrong, let me know.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
That's a good analogy. The official term is "cold cycle" operation. I've noticed mine is a bit more testy lately when it's cold, almost as if the throttle blade were sticking. I know on regular engines it's pretty standard to remove the throttlebody and clean it up with carburetor cleaner to get the varnish off of it and stop the first thing in the morning sticking, but I would think with both VVTi and throttle by wire, we wouldn't have those conditions that promote spitting back on the throttleplate.

Short answer: mine does it too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.