Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, two days ago i was on my way out, and realized one of my headlights were out. I put silverstars in about 5 months ago? I went to the store and bought another two pack. Tonight im driving and realize the other one is out!!! Are then desined to blow out after certain usage? I just find it real weird that they both went two days apart. I usually always keep them on, even during the day. I think 35 dollars is alot for bulbs that last 5 months.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Something's definitely not right about that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do drive on some ROUGH roads to and from the ski slopes a few times a week, think those pot holes could do it?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
That's interesting. I still have all the original bulbs in my 12 year old Supra with 140,000 miles on it. So much for aftermarket being better than stock.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So something Could be wrong causing a surge or something?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Something is probably either wrong with the bulbs themselves (defect or damage caused by handling them or puttnig them in) or with the installation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You are correct if you are lowered so the car has a rough ride and you drive through the bad mountain roads a lot that could mess the bulbs up some. Another thing is if you touched the glass portion of the bulb when installing them that will also shorten the life of your bulbs. You might want to check with Silver Star to see if they will warranty there bulbs.

I own LuminicsBulbs company site www.LuminicsBulbs.com we offer a full 1 year warranty on our bulbs from any manufacture defects such as blowing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
sometimes, when people install the bulbs they aren't careful and touch the bulbs with their fingers. the oil from your fingers cause the bulbs to get hotter than they should and that should explain why they blew out.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Well the lowered and stiff ride thing doesn't make sense for my Supra. I have Teins, the car is lowered and has been for 5 years, and I've bent the rims on it 3 times. The original bulbs just keep on going.

I'd bet the Silverstars use a filament that is a LOT more fragile than stock to get the color temperature they want.

Fingerprints on the bulbs cause uneven thermal expansion and contraction of the glass, not the filament. The glass envelope shatters when you have a fingerprint problem. I learned this in 1976 doing stage lighting for my high school. One fingerprint on a 1kw+ idiot light bulb and POP! Sort of cool if it didn't make such a mess.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, i probably did touch the bulb with my fingers when installing it, tried not to but didnt realize that it could do this.. Well put new silverstars in, so we will see what happens with them. Hopefully you are right about the fingerprints, but its just too weird that they blew two days apart.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I've got silverstars for about 8 months in the tC, and they were in the Matrix (with DRLs) for another 4-5 months. Both cars lowered, both cars were driven on a rough pavement / places with lots of speeebumps - bulbs are still working.

One thing is true about Silverstars - if you keep them on 24x7 - they will burn out in 4-5 months. And no matter how you put it - they are a waste of money. Once this set burns out - I will not buy another one.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, I always left them on, put a new set in and im not leaving them on anymore! And they have lasted for two days so I dont think there is an electrical problem. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had sylvania light on my dad's 99 corola for 8 months and happened the same thing. 1st the one went out and then 2 months later the other one too :<. The car is not lowered what so ever LOL and i dont live in the mountains either. Lo bux could it be something that Toyota has designed or maybe the amps are not just right or something.
EDIT: the tc stock lights are pretty good even i could say that they are very bright, since 5-6 cars on the road have flashed their lights when driving against me. Don't know why, probly cuz of my lights.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That is bad luck on the Silverstar burnouts. I would look into the connection itself. I do not mean that the bulbs are not really burned out. I mean that if there is a momentary break in the juice to the bulb caused by a loose connection at the bulb for example, the on and off effect of the bad connection can rapidly decrease the bulb life. Most bulbs burn out when they are first turned on. Think about the number of times light bulbs have burned out in your house when you first flipped the switch. Sometimes the connections on aftermarket electricals are only slightly different than the OEMs and the connectors are not really the best electrical fit in the world. A rough ride or road can "break" that not so perfect connection and give a few quick "off..on.." action. I have had past experience on this issue with my crummy fit electrical connections on my Fiat with european aftermarket headlights.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You own a FIAT? You're a brave man.

The issue with most light bulbs is the filament heats and cools everytime the light is turned on and off. This causes mechanical stress on the filament and eventually breaks it. It is possible to make bulbs that never burn out. Edison's original light bulb still works, but it would be impractical for lots of engineering and economic reasons.

I'd still bet the Silverstar filament is more fragile than the equivalent OEM bulb because they need to make it that way to get the light they are advertising.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Mar 16 2005, 10:52 AM
You own a FIAT? You're a brave man.
I have heard it put other ways in the 12 years I have owned my 2000 Spider....idiot..fool...I have heard those things said about me and many more. Brave is very kind...but I have learned a lot from that car. one thing though..it is no more unreliable at 23 years old than it probably was at 2 years.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I owned a 128 sedan. It was a great car to drive, but the Fix It Again Tony factor and through the floor corrosion made it a junkyard dog. I distinctly remeber spending $124 in 1979 for a new gas tank because the original one was rusted completely through and leaking everywhere. Those were the days....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.