Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after thinkn long and hard i've decided to say TRD S/C can kiss my black a$$. I want power so i'm gonna go with a turbo. I just want to hear your guys opinions apon which company has the best kit. I was leaning more towards ZPI Stage 1 but havn't gotten heard enough good things about them.

my question is what is the normal routine maintenace associated with turbos, what i will have to do to make it as reliable as possible, and the specific pars/tune ups i would have to get done to get the most out of it. or should i just forget the tc and get an SRT-4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
If you get an SRT4, you'll eventually have to come to terms with the fact that you drive a Dodge. And your car will be ugly



That said, I remember reading somewhere that ZPI released..oh, here we go:

QUOTE
ZPIracing is proud to release the stage 1 short block.

While testing and retesting the power limitations of the 2AZ we have found that the pistons are the first weak link. Taking this is mind we have developed a stage 1 short block that will be able to handle the elevated boost levels that we all want. These blocks are the all BRAND new OEM Toyota with our upgraded forged pistons. This will retain stock rods and bearings with Forged CP pistons and rings.

We have these available in 8.5.1 compression and 11.1 for you all motor guys. These short blocks are delivered to your door ready to install. No down time waiting on a engine to get built. 3-5 day lead time on block completion.

****Head Studs are recommend with this package.***

MSRP: 3500.00[/b]
That was posted on ScionLife last October. Combine that with their turbo and you may be looking at a reliable system...after the thousands of dollars in engine work and you may as well just burn your warranty.


eidt: its too late to spell rigt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
Nver late enuogh too justify mispelling.

Anyways, if you're looking at a sub 14 psi set up (11 psi is suitable for killing STi stock) then probably only the pistons need to be replaced. But no one knows the real answers as I've found no one's been turbo longer than 50k miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
you want to be fast and have a warranty, go buy an srt-4 with a stg 2 kit... if u want ur tc to be fast, kiss your warranty goodbye and turbo it. the ZPI stg 1 is a nice setup, so is the turbonetics, i havent seen much about the dezod but zpi has shown good customer feedback on scionlife and turbonetics is a big company, which has been around awhile.if u want it to be reliable i would leave it at 10psi and do something with the fuel system for a lil extra insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Originally posted by Ryan'sTc@Jan 28 2006, 08:57 AM
Mopar stage 2 and up are not smog legal in Cali.
Only if you're an idiot. It has been smogged plenty of times.

If you want to go fast now and without the hassle then buy an SRT. It will run 13's on street tires but you'll have to grow some thicker skin becuase the haters will come at your faster than you can count. God forbid there be some enthusiasts out there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
WTF is that supposed to mean? I got my facts from the Mopar site.

CALIFORNIA ONLY
The emissions laws and regulations of the state of California apply to all non-racing vehicles operated in California. Consequently, those parts marked in this catalog with an asterisk and appropriately marked on their packaging may legally be used in California only on a racing vehicle that will never be operated on public roads.

http://www.mopar.com/street/products_srt4.htm#

Nobody’s haten your neon. If they made a model that didn't have the interior of an early 90's economy car I may have gotten one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Originally posted by Ryan'sTc@Jan 28 2006, 10:02 AM
WTF is that supposed to mean? I got my facts from the Mopar site.

CALIFORNIA ONLY
The emissions laws and regulations of the state of California apply to all non-racing vehicles operated in California. Consequently, those parts marked in this catalog with an asterisk and appropriately marked on their packaging may legally be used in California only on a racing vehicle that will never be operated on public roads.

http://www.mopar.com/street/products_srt4.htm#

Nobody’s haten your neon. If they made a model that didn't have the interior of an early 90's economy car I may have gotten one.
So when you go to smog a Stage 2 SRT you're going to bring them that printout and say "Gee officer, I don't think you can pass me becuase this here paper".

Keep your trap shut, 91 in the tank, High Octane mode OFF and it will pass just fine. You may need a tranny simulater (sold on SRTForums) for a mismatch code.

And I wasn't refering to you in my entusiasts remark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
I guess anything is possible if you don't care about laws. Are officers are getting better about noticing mods. In this state if it doesn't have a carb sticker your running a risk. And if you’re running around with 300hp in a srt-4 it's only a question of time. Also what's the point if you only have one known gas station that carries 100 octane?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Originally posted by Ryan'sTc@Jan 28 2006, 10:17 AM
I guess anything is possible if you don't care about laws. Are officers are getting better about noticing mods. In this state if it doesn't have a carb sticker your running a risk. And if you’re running around with 300hp in a srt-4 it's only a question of time. Also what's the point if you only have one known gas station that carries 100 octane?
There is no way for a cop to visual tell if an SRT has Stage 2 without the owner actually telling him.

But alas, yet another reason I will NEVER live in Cali. Sucks bro...
 

·
Ironhead
Joined
·
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by uberingram@Jan 28 2006, 10:09 AM
Keep your trap shut, 91 in the tank, High Octane mode OFF and it will pass just fine. You may need a tranny simulater (sold on SRTForums) for a mismatch code.
still doesnt make it legal. and intelligence has nothing to do with being CARB compliant. you are, or you arent. doesnt make anyone an idiot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod+Jan 28 2006, 10:31 AM-->QUOTE (inevitablegod @ Jan 28 2006, 10:31 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-uberingram
@Jan 28 2006, 10:09 AM
Keep your trap shut, 91 in the tank, High Octane mode OFF and it will pass just fine.  You may need a tranny simulater (sold on SRTForums) for a mismatch code.
still doesnt make it legal. and intelligence has nothing to do with being CARB compliant. you are, or you arent. doesnt make anyone an idiot. [/b]
It's an odd situation yes but unless you wanted them to know for some inane reason I don't see a point. *shrug*
 

·
Ironhead
Joined
·
13,253 Posts
no one is debating the cheats to get past smog. yes, if you are crafty you can pull a fast one on your smog station. still doesnt change the legality. or make someone who mentions the legality of it an idiot. seems to me that post from ryan was simply to state that it was illegal in CA. he didnt shout names or hate on you or your car. you having a bad day?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Jan 28 2006, 10:38 AM
no one is debating the cheats to get past smog.  yes, if you are crafty you can pull a fast one on your smog station.  still doesnt change the legality.  or make someone who mentions the legality of it an idiot.  seems to me that post from ryan was simply to state that it was illegal in CA.  he didnt shout names or hate on you or your car.  you having a bad day?
I wasn't calling HIM an idiot at all. I'm just saying that if you live in that sh.it-tacular state of California then all hope is not lost, legal or not (as if that really matters in this case).

I'm having a great day actually.


Ryan's a good guy. The people above his initial post? Not so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
It's all good, I like srt-4's. When I go to the track there some of the nicest people out there. I can't stand most of the evo crowd there pricks. They think there the gods of the track till one of them blows a tranny in front of everybody lol. There was a guy at the track that even took me on a run with him in his srt-4 and it was a blast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Originally posted by I'm_A_G(humble)@Jan 27 2006, 11:57 PM
after thinkn long and hard i've decided to say TRD S/C can kiss my black a$$. I want power so i'm gonna go with a turbo. I just want to hear your guys opinions apon which company has the best kit. I was leaning more towards ZPI Stage 1 but havn't gotten heard enough good things about them.

my question is what is the normal routine maintenace associated with turbos, what i will have to do to make it as reliable as possible, and the specific pars/tune ups i would have to get done to get the most out of it. or should i just forget the tc and get an SRT-4
About the SRT4, a ZPI stage 1 tC pulls right past the Dodge. So no, don't forget about the tC.

And as far as kits go, either get the ZPI Stage 1 or the Turbonetics kit. The Stage 1 has incredible gains, and the Turbonetics kit looks cool. So you make the choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,881 Posts
Or go with our kit, coming soon to a distributor near you.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top