Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently discussing the possibility of adding a small turbo to my tc, just for moderate gains, nothing crazy. I was talking to my buddy who owns an autoperformance shop, an 800 hp daily driver Supra, and a 350 hp EVO, and he said that turbo charging cars with throttle-by-wire systems is pretty tricky. Not quite sure I understand all the mechanics that go into this, but I get the basic premise. ANYONE ELSE have any thoughts on this?? I would have thought toyota/scion would have thought about this before building a car to market to the "tuner crowd". Could our TC really be that difficult to boost? (for a daily driver, not a dyno queen or show car)

Maybe the TRD s/c will be the best option, if it ever comes out!

Maybe u scion guys have some input on this matter...

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Kean Wang at Boostlogic said that?

· Registered
1,860 Posts
automatics are a little trickier but nothing too complicated, I would think it would be easy just like most cars, if you have an automagic you can't boost alot but you can boost..I think thats right, in fact I am pretty sure...correct me if I am wrong, but its not hard...I have had a boosted car before, not a automatic but a manual and it wasn't hard to do either

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
What does an automatic transmission have to do with drive-by-wire and turbocharging? The only downfall of the auto is it will die sooner than a manual under boost. Very few autos are "overbuilt" from the factory, and Toyota is notorious for having issues with their automatics when power is bumped up.

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YEah, I never said I had an auto, I have a 5speed. My point was that the drive-by-wire technology presents problems when it comes to turbocharging. i'll try to get more info from my buddy, not kean wang or whoever, but if anyone else knows any more than me, please feel free to "educate"..

· Registered
16 Posts
Hmmm...don't tell the guys who own Grand Nationals that you can't run a lot of boost with an auto.

If the drive-by-wire system is governed by parameters in the programing for things like torque management, there is going to be a problem with anything that increases the HP/torque significantly. Of course, a programer in the hands of someone who knows what he/she is doing could easily solve that...I understand the TCs computer can be flashed.

· Registered
14 Posts
Drive by wire is definately a problem when turbocharging.

When we turbo IS300's the first thing we do is convert it to cable TB.

The way the throttle by wire opens and closes the throtle body it feels really strange when turboed, almost like uncontrollable.

· Registered
1 Posts

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Jotech's car does have a throttle wire. It has a completely different set up than the stock tC including MoTeC engine management. I also seriously doubt it is running VVT of any kind.

· Registered
51 Posts
maybe the tC was made so you would having a hard time putting on a non trd turbo, where you would have an easy time putting on a trd supercharger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.