Scion tC Forums banner

Turbo, anybody?

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  ElementRacingTRD 
#1 ·
#2 ·
On the 0 stage kit wouldn't you want an intercooler or do you not have to run one? I always thought somehwere you had to have an intercooler...but I am thinking about boosting my TC I have $2000 at my disposal now, it is very very tempting to be aroudn 230 horses

#4 ·
$2500 for the kit plus have $5000+ saved up just in case you need a new engine. It's not a TRD - you might need a backup...

#5 ·
Yeah the only thing that I hate about the TRD is how little horsepower it plans to make, grant it its under warranty but I love the sound of BOV and spooling up. If I were to get that kit, which I might get the kit once it comes out on turbo-kits.com where I got my last turbo for my Honda.

I think that I am going to get the intercooler for it also, cause uhh I have never seen a turbo without one, even ones running 3-4 psi have intercoolers.

#7 ·
You can do some calculations and make some basic decisions about intercooling. Below 6 psi, the temperature gain on a compressor with 80% or better efficiency isn't terribly bad. Sticking a 25 lb intercooler and piping on the front of a tC might not be all that great unless you relocate the battery to the rear of the car. Intercooling becomes a much larger concern over 6 psi, and the TRD supercharger is basically gear driven turbo (just like Vortech), so they've opted to leave out the IC.

It won't hurt anything, but you may have a hard time justifying the expense and weight for the measured gain.

#8 ·
230hp isn't bad, but if I ever turbo mine, i'd buy only the exhaust manifold and do everything else myself. The EVO III is a great turbo, and its not that expensive, slowboyracing usually offers them for around $500 brand new. So that kit seems pretty damn expensive for not having an intercooler. I want to hear some feedback from people who've done this before I think about it.

#10 ·
Ever picked one up? I have. If it's worth anything the total weight of the IC, mounting brackets, and piping will be somewhere in the 15 - 25 lb range.

#11 ·
Wow cause on my Honda the intercooler that I had weight more near the 10-15 lbs range I guess it depends on what its made of? But I would get one needless to say the way that I would drive it if I had a turbo, not that I would drive it hard but I love the sound of the BOV

#12 ·
Not the material, but the cooling capacity. Little ones are fine for little applications, but if it's going to be effective, it needs to be pretty good sized. If you're going to run 12+ psi it better be pretty big, that means heavy too.

#14 ·
Just in case anybody was curious, this is what the scionspeed turbo setup looks like.

#17 ·
I'm going with a 100% custom solution, should be completed by the end of the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.