Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Anybody that sells wheels will have them. You need them for some wheels because the holes for the lugs are very small. You just need ones that fit. That's about all there is to say about it. After they fit, you need to pick a complementary color and style. That's basically cosmetic, so pick what you like!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked all the online tire places (tirerack, wheelsnext, discount tires, etc) and couldn't find them anywhere
I just bought some wheels from a friend because he was desperate for money and selling them at a great price, but I need the tuner lugs to get them on the car... I'm not sure why he doesn't have them from his old car. He gave me what seems to be the top part of the lug, but I have nothing to screw that top part into.

I hope SOME of this is making sense.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The top part of the lug? No, not getting your meaning here. You should have five lug nuts of a single piece each for each wheel.

If you want, you can get tuner lug nuts from Motorsport Dynamics on Arden Way behind Dimple records. 648-8000. Ask for Ed and tell him Lance sent you.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Sounds like bolts not nuts.

Here's what I have on mine. I seem to recall I paid a bit less than this though. Some people complain about the colored ones, but I have black with zero issues. The one thing I was told is to be very careful with the socket because it is easy to get it misaligned and crack it. Not a good plan. They are a little harder than average to steal without breaking into the car.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you check Discount tire, etc, you can find the same as these

http://www.projectnissan.com/productcart/p...&idcategory=152

for alot less money, same thing lance pointed you to but but mine are chrome which is fine on our car.

My buddy just gave them to me with my new tires:)

They weighed in at 2 lbs less for the 20 pieces set than the stock lug nuts!!! Of course could not use the stock ones on these wheels anyway but just thought that was pretty significant.

Rick

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The only difference with mine is the enclosed end. I didn't want to have the silver end of the stud with a black nut on a bronze wheel, so I went closed. Still a LOT lighter than stock. That's what I meant about picking the style based on your preference. Any of them will be fine. IIRC, I paid $23 for my set from a local shop, but I ordered tires and wheels at the same time, and got a smokin' deal on the whole package. I'm definitely a happy camper with the deal.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The wheels I have have a cover over the nuts anyway, so color doesn't matter.

edit - thanks a lot guys, I knew you two would be helpful
These wheels are in no way performance wheels, but they have Nitto NT555 tires with about 8k miles on them, so it should be worlds better than stock.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@May 4 2005, 12:13 AM
Sounds like bolts not nuts.

Here's what I have on mine. I seem to recall I paid a bit less than this though. Some people complain about the colored ones, but I have black with zero issues. The one thing I was told is to be very careful with the socket because it is easy to get it misaligned and crack it. Not a good plan. They are a little harder than average to steal without breaking into the car.
One more question...that link you gave me shows "Open 1 - 25" and "Open 1 - 50"

What the hell is the difference, and what do I need?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Open end or closed end. 12mm x 1.5 or 12mm x 1.25. To be honest, I don't remember the thread pitch.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Spline drive are nice, what we have, open end was ok, I painted the studs black.

But, I have not caps over the center and am having trouble finding something to work, dang axle shaft sticks way out, much further than needed. OK, I found a way to remove more unsprung weight:)

Rick

·
Registered
742 Posts
Spline drive are nice, what we have, open end was ok, I painted the studs black.

But, I have no caps over the center and am having trouble finding something to work, dang axle shaft sticks way out, much further than needed. OK, I found a way to remove more unsprung weight:)

Rick

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Assuming a 17" rim, a 235/45 will fit, but it's not optimum for the size. A 235/45 is also a much larger diameter tire than the OEM size. A 235/40 likes an 8.5" rim, with 8.0 specified as minimum. No matter how you slice it, it seems the 225 is a better choice for a 7.5" rim, and 225/45 is ideal.

If it's an 18" rim, 225 is it, and even that's not optimum.

Use this chart as your guide for what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, to end this thread - I went to america's tire Co. today to see if they had some lug nuts to sell me. They needed to look at the wheel to determine which ones were neeeded, luckily I had a wheel with me at the time. They figured out which lug nuts I needed and even tested the wheel on the front and back of my car to make sure it wouldn't rub. They were VERY helpful and knowledgable. I highly recommend them to anybody in the sac area (this is the america's tire co. on East Bidwell in Folsom).

They were shocked at how many different wheel sizes this car could take; the guy told me their system said a 19x7.5" wheel would fit with offsets between 30 and 50. The wheels i have are 19x7.5 (I know, heavy and big, but the guy sold them to me for far less than the Nitto tires were worth) with a 35mm offset and fit very well with the TRD springs.

Thanks again to everybody who helped in this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.