Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is VIN specific, but it is a new TSB i got this morning.

5spd tC's with a VIN prior to : JTKDE1#7#50016119

you may experience a loose feeling shift gate, or a rattle from the shift lever. if so, head back down to your dealer for the replacement of your shifter. everyone after that VIN, you got the replacement shifter in your car at the factory.

just giving you all a heads up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanx for the news...I had a loose shifter and took it back to get replaced and now it runs great.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hmm... interesting... I'm surprised no one responded on this one for like two weeks. Oh well... thanks Damon... I gotta share this with my huns.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i'm going to take mine to the dealership today, to see if i qualify. i just thought cheap toyota transmissions were naturally more "clunky" than my SR20DE tranny. we'll see what happens!

this is also my first post. i'm escaping from scionlife, by recommendation of [email protected]

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Toyota transmissions != "cheap".

·
Registered
372 Posts
Um, so what is a loose shifter? I guess if I have to ask, I don't qualify. But just asking to find out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i went to the service dept @ sparks, they said the TSB is still active, and said that my car was coming up as a match, even though my VIN# is higher than the one posted.

so, even if your VIN# is higher than the one in the bulletin, you might want to go ask.

the process involves diagnostics, and then they order the part, so it will most likely be a lengthy process. the only part replaced is the actual shift lever, so i'm gonna have this done before i install the short shifter. that way i'll have the corrected part if/when i return it to stock

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by racertc@Nov 24 2004, 11:11 AM
Thanx for the news...I had a loose shifter and took it back to get replaced and now it runs great.
Some of us are still waiting to hear. Just what is a loose shifter? How are we to know if we need to take her in?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
well, besides the signifigant amount of "play" while it rests in neutral, i can wiggle my shift lever at least an inch in every direction while it rests in any gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was one of the first people to get a Scion Tc back in July 04. My car qualifies for this TSP...number 5000 something of the assembly line. The car drove fine for a few weeks. My shifter started to feel "loose" when engaged into 1st, and 2nd gear. Usually you only get play on the shifter when it is in neutral but I started to notice that something wasn't right when even in 1st gear it had alot of play. I took it to the dealer after comparing it to other manual cars. The dealer at the time did not even have a manual Tc to compare my problem to but I knew that it didn't feel like the way it felt when I drove it off the lot. To make a long story shorter, the Toyota salesman was kinda of handy and he took apart the shifter cover and realized that the plastic shifter popped out of place when you pushed the shifter too hard to the left. It didn't cause the problem when you push to the right. He pushed the plastic ring back into place and it felt normal again. I thought it solved the problem but the darn thing kept popping back out and feeling loose again. So Toyota had to order a whole new shift assembly and replaced it. The problem seemed easy to solve if they just built the shifter stronger, one screw int he right place would of solved it, but the shifter is all plastic and used a snap together design. The problem here was a simple plastic ring cap that keeps the shifting ball locked in place. It's hard to describe but easy to point out if you ever looked at the plastic shift assembly. My problem had nothing to do with the clutch itself, just the cheap plastic assembly that couldn't even handle the normal force that you would use to engage into 1st gear. If anyone has this problem, it would feel like the shifter is loose when engaged into gear. While in first the shifter should stay close to the left, when my shifter was loose it would drift back to the neutral position. Annoyed the hell out of me because you couldn't tell what gear you were in visually. Since the replacement I've had no problems with the car accept for a slight drift to the right that should be solved with an alignment....which BTW the dealer said they didn't have yet for the Tc. Sounds like BS to me, I don't know how after 5 months they didn't have alignment info available for the Tc...getting off topic, hopes this helps fellow Tc owners.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Need to revive the old thread. Hopefully somebody with better Toyota connections than me can give some advice. I noticed a side-to-side free play in the shifter today when in gear - about 1/4" each way or so (that's with the TWM installed).

So the question is - what was the TSB about / what was the fix and what was the cost of parts. I don't feel comfortable taking this to a dealer, since I did mess with the shifter installing the TWM kit, but since my tC is one of the first ones out there is a good chance that it's some stock part's fault.

Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by Technical Service Bulletin October 15 2004 TC007-04
Some 2005 model year Camry, Corolla, Scion tC and Solara vehicles with manual
transmission may experience one or more of the following conditions:
A loose shift gate feel
A rattle from the shift lever assembly
These conditions may be caused by the shift lever assembly retaining ring lifting (see illustration on next page) and allowing excessive movement of the shift lever. The shift lever assembly has been improved to eliminate this condition.

Production
Change
Information

Scion tC Japan 5 Speed JTKDE1#7#50016119

Repair
Procedure

1. Verify that the condition is caused by the lifting of the shift lever retaining ring.

2. Replace the Shift Lever Assembly following instructions on the Toyota Technical
Information System (TIS), 2005 model year Repair Manual: Manual
Transmission/Transaxle, Floor Shift Lever Assy (Mtm): Replacement.

3. Verify shift lever operation is normal after repair.

Parts
Information
Scion tC part number 33530–21020  Shift Lever Assembly
[.02]
put your stock shifter back in and take it to the dealership for the warranty.
[/.02]

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I took it to the dealer with the TWM in, good thing I know the techs and tip them every once in a while, so they remember me. Ordered the new assembly, should be here on Wednesday. They also said they'll move the TWM in the new assembly for me

Oh, and yes, it's going under warranty.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
short shift lever making ours shifter look like that:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I wouldn't have done it if the damn thing wasn't wobbling like a twizzler.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts