Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately i've been reading in some threads about people saying intakes don't do anything. i was wondering if you are talking about for our cars or in general. yet the same people saying they don't do anything still want to modify the stock intake system.

i'm just puzzled by how someone can say that putting a straighter, free flowing, smooth intake pipe that is moved from the engine bay into the fender well sucking up nice cool fresh air doesn't do anything.

to some it might not be worth the amount of money you pay for one, but a nice free flowing intake will help for when you add other performance upgrades to the motor.

now i will agree that some cars get more power out of an intake then another, but it still does something for the car.

but i guess everybody has to have their own opinion. i'm just wondering what the logic is behind some of them.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When I originally was psyched about an intake, I didn't really know a whole lot about cars. By 'not knowing a whole lot' about cars, that means I didn't know ####.

If you plan on going Forced Induction, the intakes are..from what I've seen, absolutely useless. Be it TRD Supercharger or the several Turbo Kits on the market, they all come with their own modified intake that replaces the OEM.

And if you don't plan to FI, then there are a bunch of other things that the $150-$300 would be better spent on. Suspension, audio, flywheel, or any of the nifty interior/exterior visual mods. The OEM intake is pretty good, but it looks..well, stupid. You'll see better visuals under the hood with an aftermarket intake than you will performance.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Toyota didn't sell the car with an intake tract that will provide less air than the engine needs. So long as the intake piping can provide the motor with max CFM @ WOT +10%, it could be made out of a trombone and parts of a civil war cannon.

Plenty of Honda folks have gotten the same gains as purported by CAI and SRI manufacturers simply by slapping a cone filter on the end of the TB.

I simply don't think that the off-the-shelf CAI is something worth a substantial investment: none are street legal, the gains are peaky, and the pricetag(s) are ridiculous. Put that money toward a set of swaybars or a lightened flywheel, and get a substantial performance increase.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
A CAI from any manufacturer will probably yield gains only once the intake air is disturbed enough by the stock intake tract. There are some gains by straightening out the intake tract. The question of whether or not these gains will equal lower ETs is a different matter. Apparently several GTech readings have read higher ETs; conversely, several people who have intakes have been running low 15s. One guy, pure bolt-ons ran a 15.1. Is he on here? Or was that Scionlife.. either way. We're probably capable of 14.9 with all bolt-ons. 14's is the next frontier for a NA tC.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i understand the fact that instead of buying the intake you could put the money towards something else that might give you more of a gain by itself than what an intake would. the way i look at it is that no matter how little the gain might be its still that much more than what you had before. it also helps that much more when you do add more parts to the car.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all i can say is that if your paying 300 for an intake then i hope they are putting some good lube on your a$$ while they rape you.

something else i don't understand is everyone says its a waste of money to buy an intake but how many people are spending hundreds of dollars just to buy springs and have the dealer install them.

now thats wasting money.

·
Registered
11,890 Posts
Originally posted by greddytc05@Feb 22 2006, 05:00 AM
all i can say is that if your paying 300 for an intake then i hope they are putting some good lube on your a$$ while they rape you.

something else i don't understand is everyone says its a waste of money to buy an intake but how many people are spending hundreds of dollars just to buy springs and have the dealer install them.

now thats wasting money.
The same people that pay others to wire a network in a office. Or buy a pre-built computer when you can build a much powerful one for a smaller price. Or those that pay others to build cars for them.

The beautiful thing about technology and language is that if someone has written a book on it, you can learn it. The way the service industry works is that people don't want to invest the time into doing it themselves or don't want to learn how to do it themselves. So they pay someone else to do it. Just like rotating tires.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Yeah, but when it comes to bolt-on's, you really don't need much experience...

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
an increase in the diameter of the piping on the atmospheric side makes very little if any difference.
you seem to have your mind already made up. if you are looking for validation, you wont have much luck here, sorry. get your intake. and your "dyno proven" 6WHP!!!
if all it takes is a dyno sheet to get money out of you, i will head up to the garage with a truck load of metal tubing. get out your checkbook, i can show you 16WHP if it makes you happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.