Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

A couple months ago I had this problem as well: Today i was driving and when I would make right turns I would hear this popping sound coming from my driver's side wheel. When I stopped and looked, there was axle grease all along the inside of the wheel, and some on the outside as well. The first time this happened, they replaced the axle and said I wouldn't have any other problems. I went back to the dealership and they almost didn't cover it under warranty until I talked to one of the managers, thank god. Well they are going to replace the axle again I think but my question is, I have the hotchkis springs with the stock shocks, is that a normal problem, or did it have something to do with the installation? This problem didn't come up again, until 2 days after my 15,000 mile check up so I thought they might have accidentally did something to it. And I know that running lower springs with stock shocks will wear them out quicker, but I've only had them on there for about 6,000 miles, I didn't think they would go that quick. give me your opinions, thanks.
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,467 Posts
Axle boot failures have nothing to do with shocks or springs. However, there is ample opportunity to damage the boots on a lowering spring install if your mechanic is a moron.

Between Damon and me, I suspect we've had the axles loose on about 25 or 30 cars. We have yet to see a boot failure.

BTW, a bad day at school doesn't even hold a candle to a bad day at work...
 

·
Ironhead
Joined
·
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 28 2005, 05:37 PM
Axle boot failures have nothing to do with shocks or springs. However, there is ample opportunity to damage the boots on a lowering spring install if your mechanic is a moron.

Between Damon and me, I suspect we've had the axles loose on about 25 or 30 cars. We have yet to see a boot failure.
accurate on both counts. weve been knee deep in a lot of tC's, and havent had anything go wrong. but, that doesnt mean that the guy who did your job didnt mess up. it is hard for me to believe that it would happen, because it seems so easy to avoid, but, morons do get mechanic jobs. still, the installation of your springs themselves is absolutely not to blame for any boot failure. and the springs you have on the stock shocks / struts wouldnt cause this either. something is amiss, for certain. one would hope that the dealer you took it to will not just correct it, but look for the cause this time.

btw, as we rail about a moron mechanic, i must ask... who did the job?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh wow, yeah the service guy at the dealership told me it was because of the lowering springs, that it had something to do with putting more weight on the axle. I know the first time it was because the strap or boot came off or loose, that much I know, I just didn't know it has nothing to do with the springs or shocks. The dealer did my spring install, and yes I'm sure a bad day at work is worse than a bad day at school. Esp since college is a 24/7 party.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah, and if anyone is from the Orlando/Central Florida area, let me know if you know of a good quality place to get a second opinion and get it checked out by a "professional mechanic" and not some moron, thanks! I wish Ken could open up a dealership here in fl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Make sure it isn't the strut/shock itself that is damage. I almost had the sound probblem, but i kept hearing the popping sound, took it to the dealership and he told me that the strut/shock were broken lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
I thought ken's shop was in Fl.... maybe I'm wrong.
 

·
Ironhead
Joined
·
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by BLsurfer@Dec 28 2005, 11:39 PM
oh wow, yeah the service guy at the dealership told me it was because of the lowering springs, that it had something to do with putting more weight on the axle.
if that was true, there would be thousands of tC's with the same problem. and civics, and integras, and no one would lower their car. someone is blowing smoke, or they are an idiot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
In my experience, dealership servicewriters generally know just about nothing about cars. There are some that do, but the majority are nothing more than glorified secretaries working on commision. On the other side of the coin, servicewriters at independant shops tend to have been mechanics in the past, but age or injury had led them to change what they do. This is my opinion.
 

·
Ironhead
Joined
·
13,253 Posts
certainly valid in a number of situations. there are advisors who were techs, but they seem to be few and far between.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i spoke to the guy and he said it was the install that caused the problem not the actual springs. Apparently the boot and some other parts of the axle were left loose, and the brake line was just hanging in the wrong place or something. Yeah, I def went and logged a complaint to scion corporate, freakin' idiots.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,504 Posts
I installed my springs myself without a problem. We just didn't rush. It can be done at home in the driveway, don't be that scared of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes.. got my car back today. All I can say is WOW, the difference in ride quality is amazing. All this time, I thought it was the springs that was causing a sometimes uncomfortable ride, but I guess it was the axle. I got my car back today and the ride feels almost as smooth as stock. After speaking with the guy last night, he had his best mechanic go through and find the problem, found many loose bolts and a dangling brake line, and fixed all of it for half and hour labor, $40. He couldn't believe that a dealer would install those springs so unprofessionally and that his own dealership couldn't catch the mistakes the first time I brought it in. Anyways, thanks for all the input guys, if it wasn't for your posts I prob would have never been able to pull out a researched argument for my repairs with the dealer.
 

·
Ironhead
Joined
·
13,253 Posts
ive done suspension work on at least 15 tC's. from springs and shocks to sways and tein ss coilovers. at home, in my garage. its not a difficult thing to do. in fact, i know that there are a number of us who do all our own work. and i would trust my wrench over a random toyota tech any day of the week.

you can do this stuff at home, provided you have the knowledge and the tools, or the person with both those things willing to teach you and help you.

kid - youre in norcal, right? if and when you get to it, hit me up. i would be happy to roll your tC in my garage.
 

·
Ironhead
Joined
·
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by BLsurfer@Dec 31 2005, 09:00 AM
Yes.. got my car back today. All I can say is WOW, the difference in ride quality is amazing. All this time, I thought it was the springs that was causing a sometimes uncomfortable ride, but I guess it was the axle. I got my car back today and the ride feels almost as smooth as stock. After speaking with the guy last night, he had his best mechanic go through and find the problem, found many loose bolts and a dangling brake line, and fixed all of it for half and hour labor, $40. He couldn't believe that a dealer would install those springs so unprofessionally and that his own dealership couldn't catch the mistakes the first time I brought it in. Anyways, thanks for all the input guys, if it wasn't for your posts I prob would have never been able to pull out a researched argument for my repairs with the dealer.
glad you found the problem, and got it fixed. sounds like the dealer who corrected it took good care of you. thats what one hopes for, right?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top