Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I posted but I hope someone can help.

When I go to start my car, it won't start. It acts like the battery is dead, so initially I would jump start my car and go on with my life. Recently though, I could jumpstart my car and 2 hours later it wouldn't start again.

I took my car to interstate battery for testing and the battery is fine, they hooked it up to the computer and had me test the window motors, headlights, blower motors, and audio while the car was running and the computer showed no problems. However, the tester said there was an unexplainable "ripple" in his charts, but he couldn't explain it.

The man from interstate also tested something he called "The diode" but he said that passed the test.

I tested the alternator myself by starting the car and disconnecting the battery and drove around for a while with no problems.

I've heard about the tC having problems starting in cold weather but I didn't think it was this serious. Surely thats not the issue. (It's been between 18 and 26 degrees) This problem has been getting worse for about 2 months now.

My car is under warranty, so I'll take it in tomorrow morning but I'd like some insight on all of this.

My battery is stock, and my car is an 09 (bought in October 08)
I have a 900 watt amp and Meng HIDs hooked up to my battery, the amp has been in 8 months, and the HIDs since June.

Another interesting note: When the car refuses to start (like the battery is dead) none of the other electrical componets stop working, the windows go up and down, lights don't dim or anything.

·
Frequent Flyer
2007 Scion tC
3,744 Posts
have u tried starting with everything off? like turn off the radio, lights, and fans. thats all i can say to try. good thing its under warrenty.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (paul.segovich @ Jan 10 2010, 05:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=516070
Does it turn over like it's trying to start, or is there just clicking?[/b]
It makes a clicking noise.

QUOTE (Nickifer @ Jan 10 2010, 06:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=516071
have u tried starting with everything off? like turn off the radio, lights, and fans. thats all i can say to try. good thing its under warrenty.[/b]
I have a habit of turning everything off before I get out of my car so yes I have.

I'm beginning to think it may have been the weather because I was having the problem in East Texas where it was ~18 degrees at night but I moved back to West Texas and its been ~46 degrees here. The car has been starting normally since I arrived.

·
Registered
957 Posts
But if it was just the cold weather, wouldn't the car turn over? Not click?

·
Registered
493 Posts
It sounds like you do turn off everything before getting out of your car but I just wanted to point out that if you don't it will over the long run seriously damage your battery. Always turn off the head unit and HIDs before turning on your car.

Can't wait to hear what the problem turns out to be.

On a side note I've noticed my Capacitor makes a loud grinding noise when my car turns on during the cold. It seems to warm up for 10 seconds and then the noise stops. lol

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea it just makes a clicking noise but everything else works. It hasn't given me problems today or yesterday. I'm not even sure I should take it into the dealer because the problem is completely random. Sometimes it will happen once a month and sometimes 3 times in a day. I doubt it will show any problems when they're looking at it...ugh.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sitting at the Toyota dealership now and they're telling me it was the battery so either the Interstate Battery tester was an idiot or they the Toyota guys are idiots but from the way the car was behaving I'm not convinced its the battery so I'll update this in about a Month or when necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey just curious, I have a 2014 tc and I've had similar issues tonight. Any tips on what happened with the battery or outcome of this situation. Its been a few years but wondering if ya remember.
Everything works, just won't crank when I try. Then its back & fourth with starting.
Cold front just came by tonight and it didn't want to turn over but then it did on the 4th attempt.
East Texas weather maybe.

No clicking and lights work like normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have an Autozone nearby I would recommend having them check the battery. It's free, and probably the most simplest thing to in regards to staring your troubleshooting. If you have a manual transmission like I do, sometimes I don't push the clutch in all the way which prevents the car from starting sometimes. Perhaps your clutch safety switch is going bad if you have a manual transmission?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts