Scion tC Forums banner

201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I'll be saving for a sway set after I move to Florida then...HIDs and LEDs after. Function before form!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
So tonight I'll be starting my trip down to FL...and will be stopping by a member's place on the way. Let the drinking games commence!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
have fun, Robo! Florida sounds good after the winter you guys on the east coast have been experiencing.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
So I've been down on the beach for about a week now and I'm staying. Updates are:

Washed/waxed
Getting front end fixed (long story, kinda funny though) FREE
Working (dat cash flow doe :D )
Getting a new serpentine belt (squeaks like a cracked out squirrell)
Getting exhaust rattle fixed...AGAIN

On agenda...figure out why the top grille keeps popping out toward the condenser...time for VRD?

Water here is a little hard...I'll try to get here rinsed for pics later this week.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Pictures are coming later today (just cell pics at 8MP iPhone 5s and 13MP GS4).

I'm at the Stealership getting my belt replaced due to turning brown from oil/slits/extreme squeaking, and an oil change. They said that with higher mileage engines they recommend 5w30 (instead of 5w20) plus if I'm dealing with a possible ringland recall this should help oil consumption for a little while due to slightly thicker oil, and I'm stay full synthetic. Speaking of higher mileage engines...I'm at the Scion here in FL and they said they are noticing an "unreasonable amount of carbon build-up" in the throttle body and asked if I've noticed any "lag" in the time I press the pedal and how long it takes for the engine to respond. I've been noticing a good amount of delay for the longest time, and I tried cleaning the TB about 30k ago and it was black with all the carbon. They want to charge $93 to do the TB cleaner, and $96 for the injector cleaner/valve cleaner process, is that a decent price? It supposedly removes all the carbon from the system for about 30k miles. Also they noticed my power steering fluid seems to be very dark and is caused by condensation and can cause the rubber hose to swell, but hasn't yet so just keep an eye on it and change when convenient. They want to charge $130 for the flush...I'm sure I can do it myself...should I DIY or pay? lol

Oh and at this Toyota/Scion they wash your car with every service FREE!

·
Ignorance-intolerant
7,695 Posts
My dad and I talked about switching to a heaver oil with the tC burning a little oil, and the valve noise being so loud all the time. But interwebs mentioned something about heavier oil being a bad idea with cars with vvti because of the small small holes the oil has to go through or something. Then again I'm in an 06 and the recommended oil weight is 5w-30 anyways...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #208 (Edited)
So as usual, I didn't get to take pictures...I ended up turning around right after I left the shop and asking why I still hear a squeak. I found out it's my TOB (Throw Out Bearing) starting to fail, I called ACT to confirm and it's verified. They sent me a replacement free (after 6 months of owning the kit. 90 day warranty). Now I just need to find a shop that won't charge $800 to swap it. On the plus side, the shop who installed the parts in NY said that he'd do it free, but seeing as I'm 24 hours driving distance away he'd pay half the bill! That's what I call customer service!!! If anyone knows of a reputable shop around Orlando for good prices let me know (not a Toyota/Scion dealer preferably).

As for the starting issues I found out it was some garbage fuel from a BP station here, and I won't be going back. Ethanol-free fuel for me from now on!

I won't be on here for a week or so due to school work and house hunting before the end of the month...and getting another job. On the plus side I'll be remodeling a gentleman's house with LED lighting controlled by his iPad both inside AND outside soon. I'll get some stats for that along the way if you like...should be interesting!

On a slightly different topic, I got and offer from the Toyota/Scion dealership here for a 2011 WRX sedan with 38k coated in WRB for $20k...going for a test drive in 2 weeks. But unless they can drop it down to $16k I won't budge...seeing as they low-balled my tC for $6k even with the work I've put in. Now if it were a hatch I'd allow $17-$18k.

Either I'm going to attempt that route or look at a Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS. They're good bikes, 30-40HP increase with an exhaust and more with a tune, 50-60MPG and cost $6k NEW. Just throwing ideas out there...but if I do sell the tC for a Ninja 300, I'll be selling my ACT Stage 2 kit and Fidanza 9.5lbs flywheel, my Pioneer TS-W1200PRO sub, paired to a Rockford Fosgate R500-X1D and 4gauge wiring kit, my Avital 5303l security/remote start system, and Magnaflow cat-back.

·
Gynecomastia
5,925 Posts
My dad and I talked about switching to a heaver oil with the tC burning a little oil, and the valve noise being so loud all the time. But interwebs mentioned something about heavier oil being a bad idea with cars with vvti because of the small small holes the oil has to go through or something. Then again I'm in an 06 and the recommended oil weight is 5w-30 anyways...
5-30 seems to be the sweet spot for me. definitely not 10-40... losing mpg and longer warm up times is not fun.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)
So I just dealt with 45 minutes of stop-and-go traffic through a 1/2 mile and my chassis started creaking, then after I went over a big "speed bump" at 40 (which I couldn't stop in time due to risking a collision) I now hear creaks AND clunks in the engine bay. I know I hit the bump stops and I'm not sure what came loose. With my luck I'll have to repair the chassis...AGAIN!

On a better note, I'll be starting school at UTI here in Orlando on Monday!!! Place to live, park the whip (without my life in it), and be able to relax for the first time in two and a half years! I have classes from 2PM-8PM Mon-Fri. so I think I'll snag a job at one of the many local theme parks for some cashflow.

Disney | Universal | Seaworld | Fun Spot 'Murica
^1/8m go kart track^

I don't know which to choose! D:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Well it's been over a year and even though I never got to install my CF hood or strut bar I acquired, I was able to install my XXR 527 +25 (looks good but rubs when low) and my HIDs. Around February this year I was driving home one night after hanging with a broski and the worst thing yet happened...my wheel started to sheer off the studs on the passenger front hub while driving about 40mph. Luckily I noticed a weird noise that slowly developed into a clunking/thudding sound, then started to feel the car wobble in the front end. I tried to slow down and pull into a parking lot when CRUNCH!!! The wheel literally flew off the hub after sheering all but 1 stud clean off and bounced into the night as the car slides across the parking lot on the oil pan.

I will say a couple things...now knowing what corrosion can do to metal (especially up north in the winters) and how poorly tire shops treat customer cars (over torquing lugs/studs, not using TQ wrenches) it was not the smartest move to put off replacing all the studs sooner, but also how well made REAL XXR wheels actually are for their price! The wheel only got a couple tiny nics in it and didn't crack or anything, not to mention the car was still moving when it came off!

Well since there was so many issues (front end repair cosmetic/mechanical, motor, 5MT, steering column joint), I was hoping that insurance would total out my tC, as sad as it sounds...it was better for the both of us. I did manage to get pictures but with my luck both my HDDs failed and I lost all my photos (including from raves/concerts).

On the bright side I managed to snag a deal on a sweet new whip! I got an 02 wrx wagon in WRB. Came with a full UEL header-back cat-less exhaust and a High Compression pistons. I'll be making a thread on wrxtuners with all the updates (which have already started happening). Can you say stroker motor???

Follow my new build HERE

·
Where is Donnie?
2,858 Posts
Sup noob? Get it!

·
Where is Donnie?
2,858 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Hello again after a year+! Been busy with life and whatnot, the wrx is sitting and doesn't want to pass NYSI. Had too much fun a year ago and slid into a curb on 194k suspension parts, so while I wait for those to be replaced I'm waiting to get my new injectors/gauges/suspension parts/other goodies in. Sucks to hear Scion got the axe but we all knew it was coming years ago. I'm still a damn well informed Scion guru and if anyone in the surrounding areas wants to get some of my one off mods, a cf hood, TRD strut bar...PM me. I was working for Toyota/Scion until I torn my wrist last summer.

Peace out!

201 - 217 of 217 Posts