Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in for the recommended 5000 mi. oil change and tire rotation. Well, my dealer declined to rotate the Yokohamas that came with my car, saying they need to "set" up better and just come back at 10,000 miles. I didn't understand what he was trying to tell me. Is this legit or was the dealer just benig lazy? Thanks, you guys! BTW, I always mark my tires with chalk to make sure they are rotated.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
So the dealer actually refused to get (amlost) free money from you? That's odd.

I rotate mine every 5K - that's what the manual says.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I would go back there and say uh yeah thats not right because I rotate mine every 6k and the dealer never has a problem taking my money.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I agree with zoltiz and goldenchild. Take it back to the dealership, they shouldn't refuse a request. I got my oil changed at around 1k and they didn't refuse to change it until 5k.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That is interesting. First I have heard of that one, but there is always a "new one" when taking a car in for service. They rotated mine at 5,000 miles without requesting...as it is listed in the service manual to do at that mileage. I did not get charged as all the maintenance is done on my car for 2 years or 24,000 miles free of charge. It is just one of those dealer things that some do to make them look better than the competition...not a Scion thing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i wouldn't doubt that your dealership wants to sell you new tires soon.. since these tires don't last that long.. and if you wait til 10,000 miles you won't have much to rotate..

i've been rotating them about every 3000 miles, I did wait til 5k to do it the first time was noticing wear so I'm stepping them up to something lower in mileage to rotate them..

Get another dealer to rotate them the one you're dealing with are idiots.. "set up" gee another made up lie by a dealer who thinks they know things.. what a joke.. get another dealer

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the dealer was offering to do it free on the front end. So, when he didn't do it, I asked why and he gave me that story. Not knowing if there is any real reason not to, I accepted his excuse, for the moment.
My thinking being that Scion uses different tires on different tC's at times, so maybe Yokohama's are different somehow.
BUT....
That's what the manual says, so I am going back to the dealer. And we only have two Toyota dealers here and I don't trust the service department of either one of them. I already collected refund money from them on unneccssary repairs to my last car,

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My phone call to the dealer got this further excuse: Sure, cars out west and in desert areas need to be rotated every oil change, but here in Ark. Miss, Tn. we only recommend rotation at every other oil change. and the service manual is just generic because it has to cover all the USA.
Funny the other dealer here said 5000 mi. would be wise, althouh not necessary, because it is heat that kills tires and we sure have that here.

It's hard for me to tell if these guys are just lazy, uninformed, or have ulterior motives. I am going to err on the side of caution and get them rotated.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I wish you guys 200 miles north of me had NTB tire shops - they do free tire rotations. That's where I get mine done every 5K. It does not cost anything and it won't make it worth. Oh, and there is a chance of making my tires wear more evenly and squeezing extra couple K miles from them.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by easyrider@May 9 2005, 05:02 PM
My phone call to the dealer got this further excuse: Sure, cars out west and in desert areas need to be rotated every oil change, but here in Ark. Miss, Tn. we only recommend rotation at every other oil change. and the service manual is just generic because it has to cover all the USA.
Funny the other dealer here said 5000 mi. would be wise, althouh not necessary, because it is heat that kills tires and we sure have that here.

It's hard for me to tell if these guys are just lazy, uninformed, or have ulterior motives. I am going to err on the side of caution and get them rotated.
In California, you can sue them for failing to follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. You can also sue them for unnecessary service not prescribed by the manufacturer. Your owner's manual is the car's bible. Do what it say, no problems. Don't do what it says, risk problems (maybe, maybe not).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, you all! That is what is so great about this board. It gives me another well-informed, experienced, well-intentioned group of people to help advise me how to take proper care of my car. You all are great! I appreciate you so much.

·
Registered
675 Posts
hey you're welcome for the help!!

but those excuses this dealer gives you are priceless I love laughing at them.. they are such crap..
these are the funniest thing I've ever heard!

glad we could help you out and show you how screwed up that dealer is and to definitely stay away, but I am still laughing at their stuff.. hahaha.. arkansas is a different universe for tire wear that california.. hahahah.. oh brother.. that is so funny

·
Registered
42 Posts
they basically didn't want to do your tire rotation unless this dealership is really evil and wants to sell you tires later on

i would most likely bet on the first one, they are a lazy dealer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.