Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your stands with tri-pod pillar gauges, you know, the ones that are on the drivers side pillar. They usually have 3 guages, usually air/fuel ratio, oil temp or pressure, voltage, if you had a turbo boost gauge. but anyways what do you guys think about them, Too Ricey or Freakin hott, i think thier awsome but again im not tryin to rice out my car, just lookin to do performance mods. has anybody had these before and are they difficult to insall, would it be a DIY project or professions only and are they reliable... thats alot of questions but hopefully your guys will answer them. thanks

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
No need for those gauges unless you went with F/I... if you have them and are stock it's 100% rice (no matter who you are). If you go F/I it is arguable what gauges you need, but the standard is usually:

Boost
Oil Temp
Wideband AFR (Narrowbands are complete ####, and by the time the "idiot light" goes off on them something has already gone horribly wrong... wideband can help you narrow it down)

These are quite debatable, but this is what I would go with personally. Also the location you are speaking of is the A-Pillar, and unless you like gauges to the face are not very practical if you have SAB. There are better locations that are more subtle and harder for people outside the car to see.

·
Registered
498 Posts
if it were me i'd recess them down in the compartment infront of the cig lighter, theres alot of room down there...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by fiream@Aug 25 2005, 08:18 PM
if it were me i'd recess them down in the compartment infront of the cig lighter, theres alot of room down there...
Thats a good point but thats not exactly the ideal place to look when your driving....damn, well the thing is i really do plan on throughing in the supercharger when it comes out (If it ever does...
) so whould you still want a boost gauge on that, i thought boost gauges were only for turbo's...?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another question, whats the use for an oil temp gauge... why would i want to know that...?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'd like to see someone install a Heads up display in their car. That would be radical!

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by superchargedscion@Aug 26 2005, 06:31 AM
another question, whats the use for an oil temp gauge... why would i want to know that...?
Most turbo's are oil-cooled, so keeping an eye on the oil temp is a good way to shut down before anything goes wrong (preventative measures). A boost gauge isn't really needed for a supercharger since you run at constant boost... and since you'd be going for the TRD supercharger I assume just get a boost gauge and center mount it above the head-unit.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Boost gauge for the SC can be useful to make sure everything is in good shape. I had one that I would hook up every once in a while to check if I'm pushing correct PSI, the rest of the time my vacuum hose was plugged up with a golf tee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.