Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question: does the TRD supercharger have a whine on it? i heard sum random supercharger on a WRX last weekend and it sounded....well it sounded like the car was driving in reverse. supposedly this is "regular" and i was told that "all superchargers" sound like that.
i dont bleve that tho. arent there 2 types of superchargers and ours in the Centrifugal and so im wondering if that means that our cars wouldnt whine. anybody who has a supercharger lemme know. im interested in this whine.

Search returned nothing.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOT an STI. just a WRX it was here in VA

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops, 2.5i, one of the newer ones not the old uglier ones. they dont call them WRX even tho its the same car w/o a turbo and 17's instead of 16

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YES! IN DE FACE! only thing is, u cant be too much of a sleeper with that constant whine. and to those who dont know, it sounds like there is a major issue with ur car. at least as lout as that Suby was.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah but the 2.5 and the WRX have the same basic bodystyle. BASICALLY, i f'ed up when typing it was a WRX i meant 2.5. sorry to derail you.

· Registered
274 Posts
Originally posted by AcrimoniousBear@Feb 8 2006, 03:59 PM
yeah but the 2.5 and the WRX have the same basic bodystyle. BASICALLY, i f'ed up when typing it was a WRX i meant 2.5. sorry to derail you.
I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. I just wanted to make sure you heard a s/c and not a turbo. lol

basilisk4 you are correct.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it was definately a s/c. that whine is MUCH different from the whistle of a turbo and i dont recall hearing BOV. like i said it sounded like it was in reverse. Damon, can u hear that s/c whine from inside the car? or is it not that loud on tCs.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
its really not very loud at all. its there, and if you are listening for it you will hear it. the noticeable noise is the "rattle" of the unit at idle. it goes away about 400 rpm above idle, but at a stop, you can hear it. i would imagine someone sitting next to you who didnt know what it was would think something might be wrong with your car. those who know what that sound means, know there is a blower in there.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
tC SC does NOT have the usual roots type whine. It's impossible to tell if the car has it under load. When you are coasting on a parking lot or stopped it has a bit of a whirring sound to it, but not loud.

I had a Matrix with roots type blower, and that thing sounded like an RC car - loved the sound. tC SC just makes my dash sound like an RC car (actually I think I nailed the last buzz this weekend, so we'll see when the car comes back with the kevlar clutch and a fidanza).

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Feb 8 2006, 08:33 PM
yeah, i got the dash buzz, too. what did you find?
Last "buzzer" I insulated was the top part of the center vent. It's basically an elbow that directs the air towards the cabin, and is made of paper-thin plastic. I think it was rattling against the lower portion of the vent (thicker pipe). I was too lazy to pull the dash again, so I just forced it out after removing the center trim. It's held by 3 push pins. 2 of which you'll be able to reinsert, and the 3rd one is in the back, so impossible to reach without pulling the dash off.

All I did was cover that sucker in Rick's raammat head to toe, making it 2lbs heavier

I did not have much time to test it, but it wasn't buzzing on my cold morning drive to work.

Took me almost 30 minutes of driving in the office parking lot in 1st gear at 4000rpm with a flashlight, sticking my hand inside the dash and feeling around for possible culprits. The buzz seemed to stop whenever I stuck my hand inside the vent and pulled on its lower part.

You can see the center vent in the picture. the top elbow is what you are directing your anger at.

· Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by AcrimoniousBear@Feb 8 2006, 08:26 AM
quick question: does the TRD supercharger have a whine on it? i heard sum random supercharger on a WRX last weekend and it sounded....well it sounded like the car was driving in reverse. supposedly this is "regular" and i was told that "all superchargers" sound like that.
i dont bleve that tho. arent there 2 types of superchargers and ours in the Centrifugal and so im wondering if that means that our cars wouldnt whine. anybody who has a supercharger lemme know. im interested in this whine.

Search returned nothing.
i wish i still had the sound clip from the Ati Procharger in my vette....they are loud , very noisy...i would not be surprised if the TRD one is a bit on the noisey side

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
It's barely noticeable. I've been on the road with inevitablegod many, many, times and I've never noticed it except the first time I heard it. Really, it's VERY minor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.