Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old car was a '91 integra dropped and stiffened to the point that long rides were almost unbearable. Teeth clacking and whiplash were common ailments reported by passengers.

My question is this. How much stiffer are the TRD springs vs. the stock springs. The tC is by no means 'loose' when it comes to suspension, but I'd prefer to try and keep the ride a bit softer than my integra. I also think the gap between the tire and fender is too big so I really do want to get the springs installed for the reduced gap.

What are your toughts?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I wonder this also, holla at us wid some answers!

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by krzy@Nov 8 2004, 11:19 PM
My old car was a '91 integra dropped and stiffened to the point that long rides were almost unbearable. Teeth clacking and whiplash were common ailments reported by passengers.

My question is this. How much stiffer are the TRD springs vs. the stock springs. The tC is by no means 'loose' when it comes to suspension, but I'd prefer to try and keep the ride a bit softer than my integra. I also think the gap between the tire and fender is too big so I really do want to get the springs installed for the reduced gap.

What are your toughts?
alright, my perspective on the TRD springs. i have installed two sets, one on my tC, and one set on wolo's. the gap is closed nicely, almost but not quite tucking the rear wheels. the ride is stiffer than before, but trd manages to marry performance with comfort pretty well. the ride is not unforgiving, and i have had no complaints about it from any passenger. the cornering is tighter, obviously, and for my purpose, they match what i need quite well.

damn, this should go in product reviews. anyway, yeah. my .02

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ and they are a blast to install.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
and 6 beers to go around.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd have to agree with you inevitable. When i first test drove a tc it was totally stock. I loved the car except that i didn't like the gap in the wheel wells and I thought that the suspension was way too mushy. So i got mine with the TRD setup and not only does it make the car look ten times better but it now drives like the sporty little hatch that it is. Cornering is improved and much less nose dive under harder braking. My dealer installed the TRD stuff (one of the few things they did right) and they dropped it about 1.4 in. all around. I would not have wanted to go any lower. Right now the ride is great although I have to watch it a bit going into some driveways and keep an eye out for medium to large potholes. My old car was a '99 Jeep Cherokee so I'd gotten into the habit of running over anything in my way so it's an adjustment.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Marty (basilisk4) is very sceptical about springs, but he rode in my car couple of days ago and I did not see him complain. Much.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i just installed the trd springs by myself this past week.. impressions are that they are very nice.. remind me of my H&R springs on my nissan.. soft yet able to handle very well... drops the car to a very good height.. im glad i put these on, but who knows, if i see a basic tein setup, i might just go that route

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
they are progressive springs, so the harder you work them, the stiffer they get. when you arent cornering hard, just driving around town they are still soft enough at the end coils to be comfortable.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Nov 10 2004, 03:15 PM
Marty (basilisk4) is very sceptical about springs, but he rode in my car couple of days ago and I did not see him complain. Much.
Good point, Andrew. I hadn't thought about it until now -- I had forgotten that you have the TRD springs installed on yours -- but I didn't really notice any difference in handling that I can recall. Definitely good to know. Except that now I have another thing to spend money on. Crap. Wanna install my springs for free? How about for 3 beers?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ all i got out of wolo was a 6-pack. if you can top that, and dont mind driving to sacramento...

nah, probably not.

but if you would, i bet youd bring at least a twelve pack. any stand up guy would, dont you think?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Nov 10 2004, 03:23 PM
^^^  all i got out of wolo was a 6-pack.  if you can top that, and dont mind driving to sacramento...

nah, probably not.

but if you would, i bet youd bring at least a twelve pack.  any stand up guy would, dont you think?
I'll bring a 12er. What'dya like? I'm about <strike> two hours</strike> one and a half hours away. I'm serious about the install, parts were shipped out yesterday. I would prefer to have someone install them that has actually done it.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ migraine motorsports is always open. i drink sierra nevada pale when i lower cars. pm me.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
oh wolo, you know i am only messing with you. i gots mad love for the Exception.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
OK, I live 20min from sacramento, and would gladly go to the sierra nevada brewery in Chico and bring back as much as you want!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts