Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that having the lowering springs on the stock shocks will wear them out faster but how long will they last before being shot...? has anybody worn these out yet?

and lo bux, we both had some issues with the hotchkis sway's but now that im lowering the car i wanted to ask you if i should get shorter end links like you did... i read the post you did when you did it for testing purposes but i didn't see a follow up on the subject...

anybody with hotchkis front swat bar and TRD springs have any problems?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the wear all depends on how you drive the car. I would figure at least a good 2 years before you really start having problems. But then again I'm a n00b, what do I know.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
TRD / Scion warranties the OEM shocks/struts with just the application of the TRD lowering springs. that would lead me (and my lead tech and shop foreman) to believe that the service life of the OEM parts will be good for a minimum of the factory warranty (5yr/60k).
i know of no one, either here at my shop or from my own garage, who has had a problem with that set-up. and i / we have lowered a lot of tC's. you will be fine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Feb 1 2006, 02:48 PM
TRD / Scion warranties the OEM shocks/struts with just the application of the TRD lowering springs. that would lead me (and my lead tech and shop foreman) to believe that the service life of the OEM parts will be good for a minimum of the factory warranty (5yr/60k).
i know of no one, either here at my shop or from my own garage, who has had a problem with that set-up. and i / we have lowered a lot of tC's. you will be fine.
didn't your work with lance on that sway issue.... if i lower the car will i have an issue with the sway bar on trd springs?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yeah, i was there when we discovered that. it appears to be a problem when the vehicle is lowered too much, ie on the tein ss-p's we used on his car. i seem to remember thinking it would be fine with a lesser drop. if you run into an issue with it, lance has fabricated the solution. he can give you the details on it.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I haven't done a final fix. I have '96 Camry rear links on the front right now. They are not a good fix. I've been told the later model Camrys are a better solution, but I haven't looked into it yet. I have ideas for a proper adjustable solution, but again, I haven't made the time to get to the machine shop and fab the pieces I need.

I've also looked for a source online, and there are a few possibilities for purchasing the parts I'd like, but getting them in metric sizes is not simple.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so lance, your running tein ss and the front sway bar correct? whats wrong with the 96' end links, as long as they prevent the sway from hitting anything i'd say its a fix....

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The studs are not the right diameter, they're one size too small. Yes, they work, but no they don't fit right.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you used the studs from the scion or the ones from the 96' camary, if thats the case i can def. find the right size with a trip to a hardware store....

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It doesn't work like that. The studs are part of a ball joint. You can't replace the studs because they are integral to the ball joint. If it were that simple, I'd've fixed it long ago.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o0o0o yea.....i forgot about that.....$%&*,
that sucks.....so now i have these springs that i dunno what to do with.....

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
lance, is he going to run into the same problem we did with your if he puts in the TRD springs? i was under the impression the problem was due at least in large part to the stance of your car on the ss-p's. correct me if i am way off base here.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I've heard of having the problem with other set ups, but the only one I can say for sure is mine. SS-Ps will definitely cause problems with the end links.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My girlfriend has a 93 Camary, i might just measure them out and see if i can use them, i wonder if i could just swap them.... shes going to sell the car soon so who cares...., inevitablegod, i was wondering the same thing, since the TRDs are not the big of a drop, but who knows, i just dont want to put the springs on and have a problem.... i can't believe nobody else has posted something, theirs gotta be someone on this site with the same setup i do, front and rear sways, front strut bar, and trd springs....

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You need a later model than '93. I got mine from a '96. I've been told the '00 - current models have a link more like the tC. Bigger, beefier, and shorter. Just what we need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.