Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my TRD springs last weekend with only one problem...... the right rear is around 1/2 inch higher than the left rear!! The fronts are perfect. Has anyone else run into this and found a fix......or figure out what they did wrong? I was thinking that maybe I didn't compress the right spring down enough when I put the top bolt on (although it did look like there was enough thread on top when done). Any ideas??? any help would be much appreciated!!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be checking that tonight, I am pulling the left one first, because honestly, the left rear looks TOO LOW beleive it or not! I'm sure it is something stupid like that.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i would recheck everything

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by reverendericd@Jun 21 2005, 06:55 AM
Installed my TRD springs last weekend with only one problem...... the right rear is around 1/2 inch higher than the left rear!! The fronts are perfect. Has anyone else run into this and found a fix......or figure out what they did wrong? I was thinking that maybe I didn't compress the right spring down enough when I put the top bolt on (although it did look like there was enough thread on top when done). Any ideas??? any help would be much appreciated!!!! Thanks!
LOTS of people are having these issues.. mine is on the front though, and only a 1/4 inch.. why is the right side always higher than the left??? sooo wierd

Scion Life thread

Good luck!

-K

·
Registered
87 Posts
Originally posted by k_splay+Jun 23 2005, 02:06 PM-->QUOTE (k_splay @ Jun 23 2005, 02:06 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-reverendericd
@Jun 21 2005, 06:55 AM
Installed my TRD springs last weekend with only one problem...... the right rear is around 1/2 inch higher than the left rear!!  The fronts are perfect.  Has anyone else run into this and found a fix......or figure out what they did wrong?  I was thinking that maybe I didn't compress the right spring down enough when I put the top bolt on (although it did look like there was enough thread on top when done).  Any ideas??? any help would be much appreciated!!!! Thanks!
LOTS of people are having these issues.. mine is on the front though, and only a 1/4 inch.. why is the right side always higher than the left??? sooo wierd

Scion Life thread

Good luck!

-K [/b]
My front right is higher as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by chipmOnk@Jun 23 2005, 11:42 PM
Bummer..

After thinking about it long and hard.. all I can come up with is this:

That the top of the front struts -- the swiveling part with three bolts -- does it only fit one way? Because, it seemed like it had a tilt to one side.. so.. if the bolt pattern is even, then there are actually three ways it could fit, but only one of them is correct..

Does that make sense to anyone? I mean, I thought I had a 'best fit' before.. but I suppose I could be wrong. My only problem with this theory is.. why is it a mistake only on the right side? Coincidence? Maybe.. I'll let y'all know what I find out.

-K

·
Registered
336 Posts
That sounds about right. I could be wrong though. I know that when you remove the stock springs and shocks, your supposed to mark where the stock springs begin on the shock and then match that with the new springs...or something to that effect.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Originally posted by k_splay+Jun 24 2005, 07:50 AM-->QUOTE (k_splay @ Jun 24 2005, 07:50 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-chipmOnk
@Jun 23 2005, 11:42 PM
Bummer..

That the top of the front struts -- the swiveling part with three bolts -- does it only fit one way? Because, it seemed like it had a tilt to one side.. so.. if the bolt pattern is even, then there are actually three ways it could fit, but only one of them is correct..

Does that make sense to anyone? I mean, I thought I had a 'best fit' before.. but I suppose I could be wrong. My only problem with this theory is.. why is it a mistake only on the right side? Coincidence? Maybe.. I'll let y'all know what I find out.

-K [/b]
i just looked at the rears... the strut only goes on one way because its not a isosoles triangle bolt pattern.. one bolt is farther away than the other two.... my drivers side rear tire is tucked... while my passanger side rear has a 3/4" wheel gap.... i guess i have this problem as well but never noticed it untill i actually looked.... the car seems to drive fine tho... D... you've done lots of spring installs... any tips for us to look into?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by hamster+Jun 24 2005, 03:40 PM-->QUOTE (hamster @ Jun 24 2005, 03:40 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2005, 07:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-chipmOnk
@Jun 23 2005, 11:42 PM

Bummer..

-K
i just looked at the rears... the strut only goes on one way because its not a isosoles triangle bolt pattern.. one bolt is farther away than the other two.... my drivers side rear tire is tucked... while my passanger side rear has a 3/4" wheel gap.... i guess i have this problem as well but never noticed it untill i actually looked.... the car seems to drive fine tho... D... you've done lots of spring installs... any tips for us to look into? [/b]
Yeah, I was talking about the front... My tC's rear is perfectly level. The only thing I think could go wrong in the rear is the springs being rotated out of position -- everything else gets bolted to the same place, right?

This whole thing seems weird to me..

-K

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
my fronts are fine.... i checked the springs to make sure they were in correctly.. they look like they are in correctly... i dunno what the heck is goign on

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just ran into the same 1/2" higher problem on the right rear. I'll be rechecking everything again this a.m. The only possibility I can think of is the bottom seat for the seat rotated out of position during install but I was pretty careful. Front is perfect though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Something must have settled, it's perfect all the way around. Alignment done, rear sway bar, race setting and B&M short throw shifter. It is perfect, just waited too long to do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I figured it out............checked everything and they were in correctly......upon inspection of the struts when they are out of the car you will notice that the orientation of the left spring is different than the right (so they will fit). because of this the left strut becomes abou 1/8-1/4 inch shorter!! FIX!!!!!! (def. REAR BUT PROB FRONT TOO!!!!)..............LEAVE THE STRUTS IN THE CAR!!!!!! take the trunk apart so you can see the top of the struts (you have to take out the side walls). Once you can see the strut tops, pry the plastic cover off. NOW WITH THE CAR ON THE GROUND (not jacked up), crank the strut top nut down on the strut that is higher!!! YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT HOW FAR DOWN YOU CAN GO. This will essentially "even out" the two sides. I assume this will work on the front as well, as you can take theplastic tops out to see the screw with NO EFFORT.
I got this tip from a mechanic who worked with race cars, and he said sometimes the shorter springs + the strut orientation will result in one side being taller (or shorter). That is why there will be some thread left in the strut top screw.

Good Luck.............THIS WORKED FOR ME!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.