Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i want to get the trd springs installed. gonna purchase from trdsparks. called my local toyota dealer and he said the install cost would be $675.00 and will take 16 hours. i have no idea if that's correct or not, but it seems awfully steep and also seems like a long time - does this seem right to you guys????

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
That doesn't seem right at all. I installed them myself with one other guy using no power tools and some crappy spring compressors and it took us an astounding 12 hours. There is no way a dealership should take 16.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
my best time is 1 hour 58 minutes, from pulling in my garage to dropping the car back on four wheels. my dealership bills the job at 6 hours. 16 is absurd. however, the cost per hour at a dealer is pretty high, at about 80 bucks per hour. the job is done right and well, no doubt, but there are other alternatives and they wont void your warranty. check around, buy your parts seperate, and find a shop that bills less. if rhode island was a bit closer, i would have you come over. sorry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just sent out emails to every scion dealer within 50 miles... asking for their price for springs+install, and price for just install. crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
but there are other alternatives and they wont void your warranty.[/b]
i was reading around some where that if you dont get your springs installed by a dealer, then it will void your warranty on the car... this seems contradictory.. but then again your a dealer so i dont know what to believe

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
If you do it yourself and you screw up and break something from messing up the install the dealer won't warranty it out. However, if you install the springs yourself and still screw up but what breaks is not related to your bad install the dealer still has to honor the warranty for that broken part if it is proven that what you changed did not cause the part to break. Got it?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i think i understand.... so any thing that breaks and is suspension related will be void under the dealership warranty? but other stuff that breaks... that will still be covered.... did i get that right?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
ty, jake. lucky for me i know a guy that works at the dealership... hopefully i wont get screwed when i lower my car

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
It really isn't that hard to do yourself if you have the tools, jackstands and a nice jack. You can borrow spring compressors from an Auto Zone or a play like that. We can get you the install instructions that the dealers use.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
if it can be determined that your install was the cause of a wannratied part failing, it would not be covered. however, i have xB customers with airbags installed and they have maintained their warranty. it really comes down to your dealer and how hard they want to be about such a thing.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i see.... i guess the safest thing to do would be ask.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Labor charge should be about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. That's what I got from my dealership. (3 hours) Anything more is a rip. Anything less and you'll be approaching Master D's speed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
there's a guy in toms river nj who does installs for team scionrg in the northeast. charges $80 for the spring install-perfect. about 2 hours of time. dealerships in ny quoted me prices from $400 all the way to $750. $750!!!!! told that i should leave the car overnight that way they could charge me for labor while it sat there and storage fees. this was westbury scion. the guy jeff in toms river had to jack up each tire, remove everything piece by piece then put each tire back on and it still took only 2 hours. imagine if he had a lift. dealerships were telling me that it'd be about 6-9 hous of labor. they didn't mention that the 6-9 hours included lunch break, dinner break, jerk off break, cigarette breaks, bs breaks, and sitting around to rob me blind breaks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just installed springs myself. With breaking a socket and having to run to autozome it still only took me about 4 hours. And I would say the thing that took the longest was the rear interior.

I would say no matter what dealer charges is way to steep they are all about just screwing you. No offense to anyone that may take offense.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Did you get it in writing? I bet not, and otherwise their assurances are worthless. Do whatever you want with your own car; I just don't want people thinking that there's no reason to get the springs professionally installed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.