Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is my first post, though I've been browsing around this forum for a week or two now. Just got my '05 TC May 16th so no mods yet (shoulda just waited for the '06!). I'm thinking of keeping the stock 17"s so I'm wondering should I go with the trd springs or the hotchkis? It seems to me that the drop w/the trd's would be barely noticeable, but then again, it seems that a lot of people like them. Then again though, it seems to be about 50/50 preference between the two. What do you guys think? I'm a girl (if you haven't yet figured that out), and my boyfriend lives hundreds of miles away in San Diego (I'm in the East Bay), so he can't really help that much. Plus, he owns a civic. What to do?

Also, do I have to get the sway bar, or is it just a suggestion for increased performance?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Sway bar not needed, or struts, or strut bar.

I'd get the TRD because i have them, they ride great.... also the drop is noticable....parked next to a tC just yesterday (same color) and it was pretty obvious i was lowered and he wasn't

·
Registered
843 Posts
Originally posted by jennroque@Jun 3 2005, 11:53 PM
Ok, this is my first post, though I've been browsing around this forum for a week or two now. Just got my '05 TC May 16th so no mods yet (shoulda just waited for the '06!). I'm thinking of keeping the stock 17"s so I'm wondering should I go with the trd springs or the hotchkis? It seems to me that the drop w/the trd's would be barely noticeable, but then again, it seems that a lot of people like them. Then again though, it seems to be about 50/50 preference between the two. What do you guys think? I'm a girl (if you haven't yet figured that out), and my boyfriend lives hundreds of miles away in San Diego (I'm in the East Bay), so he can't really help that much. Plus, he owns a civic. What to do?

Also, do I have to get the sway bar, or is it just a suggestion for increased performance?

Thanks!!
Hi Jenn,

Depends on the wheel gap you'll want when your done. You can't go wrong with the TRD's or the Hotchkis, but there is a difference in the drop. TRD will drop you car 1 1/4" and Hotchkis will drop it as much as 1.97" . Here's some info on both.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?...11&parts_id=642

Ken

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Hamster, you have the same color tc as me, and I think your drop looks good
Think i might go with the trd's. We'll see I guess!

Ken, think i might be purchasing them from you

Now to find a place to install them w/o costing an arm and a leg....maybe i'll PM inevitable god. Sac isn't too far from me!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes- drop. But what about ride or spring rates? Changing spring rates. Higher spring rates make the ride bumpy since the shocks arn't set up for it. It is inportant that if you drop 2 inches that you stiffen the springs and the shocks. Not just the springs.
I had this problem with my STi when I put Tein S type springs on. Had to upgrade to the spring and shock kit. The ride jsut went to junk with just springs. It worsend the suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone says if I stick w/the TRD springs, I don't have to get anything else (shocks, etc). So if I decide to get the hotchkis, then just the springs won't do? I'll have to get new shocks? Help!

·
Registered
843 Posts
You won't have to get new shocks right now if you don't want to, but the factory shocks will wear faster with the Hotchkis Springs. Your shocks will still make it through the warranty period. It's just cheaper labor wise to do the springs and shocks at the same time. You can usually get it done for close to the same price. Hope that helps.

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.