Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I can do a search, but their is no post that is dedicated to the negatives of the TRD lowering springs. My mom is contemplating about if I can get them or not. I keep telling her their is nothing that is negative about getting them and that half this forum has them but she won't listen.

So everyone with TRD Lowering springs, please list the negatives, if any. If someone finds it fit to say how much they like them, that is fine too
,because i'm all about getting them. Thanks for all your help!

-Eric

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Negatives:

1. Your roll center goes lower and increases the roll couple which tends to make the car roll more when initiating a turn unless the springs are made stiffer to resist the increased roll couple. The TRD springs are stiffer to help compensate.

2. Your struts and shocks will have to work harder to control the stiffer springs, so they will tend to wear out sooner.

3. You have to be aware of speed bumps, steep driveways, and sharp drop offs to avoid scraping the nose or underside of your car - it is easier to high center with the car lowered.

Those are it.

Positives:

1. The car will corner better, stop better, and roll less while turning.

2. The dreaded "wheel gap" will be gone.

3. Most people will say your car looks better.

That's about it.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 10 2006, 05:30 PM
Negatives:

1. Your roll center goes lower and increases the roll couple which tends to make the car roll more when initiating a turn unless the springs are made stiffer to resist the increased roll couple. The TRD springs are stiffer to help compensate.

2. Your struts and shocks will have to work harder to control the stiffer springs, so they will tend to wear out sooner.

3. You have to be aware of speed bumps, steep driveways, and sharp drop offs to avoid scraping the nose or underside of your car - it is easier to high center with the car lowered.
Thank you very much lo bux, you are always a source of information. But what you said about rolling easier you said TRD compensated for that so that isn't that bad, correct? I will also be getting the TRD shocks, strut, and rear sway bar so with that take point 2 out of it? So the only thing I will have to worry about is the scrapping, correct? Thanks for all your help!!!!

-Eric

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by buderic@Jan 10 2006, 05:37 PM
Thank you very much lo bux, you are always a source of information. But what you said about rolling easier you said TRD compensated for that so that isn't that bad, correct? I will also be getting the TRD shocks, strut, and rear sway bar so with that take point 2 out of it? So the only thing I will have to worry about is the scrapping, correct? Thanks for all your help!!!!

-Eric
If you're doing the TRD struts and shocks at the same time you're doing the springs, then yes, the only negative is #3. Good approach to solving the problem.

· Registered
842 Posts
Originally posted by SpeeedTc@Jan 10 2006, 10:11 PM
Also if theres alot of hills and stuff the TRD lowering springs lower it close to 2" instead of the 1.25" is says it does.
That's not correct. If the TRD Springs dropped your car 2", someone did something wrong.

Ken

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Originally posted by Ken@Jan 11 2006, 12:08 PM
That's not correct. If the TRD Springs dropped your car 2", someone did something wrong.

Ken
S'pose I dont know for 100% sure, however, the dealer was the one who told me when I picked up the car for delivery, that it was a 2" drop (give or take slights). I never saw it stock. But either way, I havent had any problems AT ALL with them.

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Originally posted by phungy@Jan 11 2006, 12:11 PM
Uh oh, you reading this thread Ed? -dun dun dun!-
Like I said; I'm still not 100% sure the car should get as low as mine is, nor will I ever really know for sure, but I'm not the only one whose car sits as low as mine and otherwise works perfectly fine. It would not surprise me one bit that Westchester Toyota FUBAR my install.

-Ed

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks you all for all of your comments, I do not want a full 2" drop because that is kind of low but from what I hear it isnt that bad to live with. Keep all the comments you guys have about TRD coming. You are all helping me with my problem!!!

-Eric

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Originally posted by Ken+Jan 11 2006, 12:08 PM-->QUOTE (Ken @ Jan 11 2006, 12:08 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-SpeeedTc
@Jan 10 2006, 10:11 PM
Also if theres alot of hills and stuff the TRD lowering springs lower it close to 2" instead of the 1.25" is says it does.

Ken [/b]
thats just what a tread i read said. they said that it started to settle to 2" instead of the 1.25" that it says it is.

· Registered
5,861 Posts
What are the prices for the TRD Shcok and strut set for the tC? dang I forget the price on the springs too.. anyone care to give me some estimates? thanks.

· Registered
202 Posts
Shocks are $460, Springs are $160, or as a set they are $599 from Sparks.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So can someone tell me why the TRD springs are sagging .75"? I really would be more happier with a 1.5" drop than 2" because I don't want to hit anything. Another question I need answered.... Has anyone had problems with scraping going over railroad crossings(the steep ones in particular)? Thanks for the help!!

-Eric

· Registered
842 Posts
How about some 'expert' opinions. If the springs start out dropping 1 1/4" and a year later the car is sitting 2" lower, did the springs cause the drop or is the car settling from normal use and time? I agree the tC's are probably in the area of 1 3/4" to 2" lower from when they started as new cars, but are we being correct when we focus on the springs as being the complete cause of the drop? I'm not a tech so if that's too much of a dumb question please don't roast me.

Ken

· Registered
170 Posts
I've had my TRD spring on stock struts for over 6 months now. Mine did sag maybee .25" after a few weeks. I think that the main thing happineing is that the people installing the new lowering springs are not properly setting the rubber gasket between the strut and spring.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.