Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know I saw it on some post in this forum, somebody mentioned having one/getting one/wanting one I dunno, I just remember reading "TRD INTAKE." Is that something you can get when it comes from the factory? Do I have to purchase/install it seperately? I'm trying to get as much of the stuff I want on it, when I buy it, so I don't have to save up a whoooole lot to buy this stuff later. So if anybody knows, which I'm sure somebody does, please let me know, which i'm sure somebody will! thank you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
it's an aem intake, but yeah you can order it with the car. Most dealers take it to you for install though.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Is there ANY power increase from the TRD intake (or ANY intake)? Apparently they dont offer this anymore... I'm just curious if it's any kinda increase or is it just there for the sound? Can ANYONE tell me about this? Because I'd like to get an intake, but if there's no benefit, then I really dont care... Please advise.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
okay then... so what is it for? I mean, I would hate to waste the money on something like that if there's little/zero benefit/gain from it. I mean, even the Injen parts? I know that they all claim that it will add power, but whats the truth on this?

Would I be better to just get a K&N filter and drop it into the filter box?

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
IMHO, yes. Considering the size of the OEM intake and how little it takes to make 160hp, there is no significant advantage to any of the aftermarket intakes unless you want the bling factor.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Oct 11 2005, 10:51 AM
IMHO, yes.  Considering the size of the OEM intake and how little it takes to make 160hp, there is no significant advantage to any of the aftermarket intakes unless you want the bling factor.
Interesting... So even a K&N replacement filter for the airbox probably wouldnt do anything either?

I definitely couldnt give 2 sh1ts about the bling factor. I'm about function... if I cant use it to my advantage, then I could really care less...

LoBux, I know that you have a couple of them (tC's)... Anything that you have in the performance realm that you could share?

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
Replacing the OEM filter will get you more power at WOT. It is the most restrictive part of the intake, but it is restrictive because it does an excellent filtering job, not because it's a poor design.

There is little to do to the tC other than the TRD supercharger without violating local, state, and Federal law. I have no desire to add to my pain with passing smog, so I'm not tweaking hard on my tC. I am focused on mods that make no difference to smog and provide better response, which is why I chose the Fidanza flywheel mod.

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
Wide Open Throttle.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
So that's good then?

I'm just curious as to any kinda benefits of any kind I'll get (i.e. Increased power, gas milage, etc etc... )

Oh yeah... I ordered the clutch on my new car - freakin' backordered!!! 2 weeks! ... but that's cool, because I can still get it this weekend and drive 'er around...
Just have to go back to get it installed

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
New clutch? Is yours bad?

The filter is good. You'll see a small benefit to peak power. Don't expect anything else. Your ECM compensates for everything, so it's not like the old days when a dirty air filter killed your mileage from running rich. It doesn't matter how dirty the air filter is except to maximum power when you have a computer controlled engine.

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
Do yourself a favor, have them install a Fidanza flywheel at the same time. It's no more effort on their part and it will actually make a difference in how the car feels.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i second that. especially since the gearbox is coming out already. excellent results from the fidanza flywheel.

·
Registered
542 Posts
would a dealer install the flywheel? approximately how much do you think they'd charge to do that?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by gotTC?@Oct 11 2005, 05:02 PM
would a dealer install the flywheel? approximately how much do you think they'd charge to do that?
yeah the dealer would install it but it would cost a fortune, I would try and go to a family or trusted mechanic and see what they would do for you, like me I am taking my tc to a long mechanical friend and he is giving me great deals and I know the quality is good because he worked on my honda for 3 years

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by gotTC?@Oct 11 2005, 05:02 PM
i cant speak for all the dealers, but we would have no problem doing a flywheel replacement. it would get billed the same as a clutch labor-wise, about 5 hours worth. depending on the dealers install rate (ours is 85/hr) it should run about 425 to have it installed.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Oct 11 2005, 06:42 PM
depending on the dealers install rate (ours is 85/hr) it should run about 425 to have it installed.
Thanks again Lance (and Eric and Damon).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts