Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just talked to my dealer here and checked the TRD site and they do have coilovers now for the tC apparently. Anyone heard anything about them, they run $1,174 (w/ install). Don't wanna break warranty by not getting TRD this early but don't what crappy stuff either..

·
Registered
813 Posts
POk.. absolutely Noob question...

Is purpose of coilovers the same as spring/shocks but coilovers are better ?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
technically, the stock shock and strut combo on the tC is a coilover. look under the rear of the xB, you will see an example of non-coilover shocks and springs. even a macpherson strut is a coilover. the spring fits over the shock and is held in place by a hat. same on your tein's, etc...
but your aftermarket coilovers are going to have an increased spring rate, adjustable height, and on certain models, dampening and camber adjustments.
and yes, they are generally better performing that stock suspension.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Sep 12 2006, 09:38 AM
technically, the stock shock and strut combo on the tC is a coilover. look under the rear of the xB, you will see an example of non-coilover shocks and springs. even a macpherson strut is a coilover. the spring fits over the shock and is held in place by a hat. same on your tein's, etc...
but your aftermarket coilovers are going to have an increased spring rate, adjustable height, and on certain models, dampening and camber adjustments.
and yes, they are generally better performing that stock suspension.
Well thanks for the explanation.
Once i get the car in winter, i will have alot to think about. Either to get TRD lowering spring/TRD sport shocks or to get Coilovers....

My other question is...

1) Coilovers mostly suitable for people who going to race their cars or those who will need 120% performance is that correct ?

2)And for daily driving and sometimes high speed spring/sport shocks are just working fine .. right ? Or am i messing things up ?

I'm just brainstorming on what i need and what i will have to do.

P.S. I', probably going to be #2 type...daily driving and sometimes driveing fast.

Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The TRD damper/spring package should suit you just fine. I didn't opt for a "full coilover" setup on the TC because I'm just not in the mood to have to tweak it-- and setup is 75% of the performance of an adjustable coilover setup. With Tein SS in my Sol, I managed to acheive a perfect 50% cross-weight, and was within 40lbs of perfect 50% left/right split. Lots of time on the chassis scale.

With the TRD package, you put it on the car, get an alignment... and you're done.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Sep 29 2006, 07:17 PM
With the TRD package, you put it on the car, get an alignment...  and you're done.

I managed to acheive a perfect 50% cross-weight, and was within 40lbs of perfect 50% left/right split.  Lots of time on the chassis scale.
Hmm on emore question..

You were talking about achieving perfect balance , corss weight and that stuff. And you said that all i need is TRD chocks and TRD springs, did you mean that with TRD set i do NOT need to adjust/achieve balace cross weight because they are made for scion by toyota and everything already adjusted and balanced ?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ essentially, yes. the trd setup is a pretuned system designed to work with the tC together. since there are no adjustments that can be made, it is about as plug and play as possible. most coilovers are multi adjustable, damping rates, rebound rates, camber adjustments. if you arent into tweaking stuff, changing your set up for different days, etc... the trd stuff will probably do you just fine.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ok... Yeah i think TRD set up will definetly suit me. As much as i would love to tweak stuff everyday the lack of time and place is a factor .....

So what's the main purpose of coilovers. The same as schocks/springs BUT adjustable. Do people get them just to have something to screw around with ? or those who race everyday, but why racing a TC and both of you said multiple times that TC is just not to fast and furious... But i guess everybody is different.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
fast and furious it may not be, but that doesnt mean it cant corner well. it isnt about sustained speed all the time.
technically, you have coilovers on your car right now. a coil spring, over a shock/strut. but, unlike most aftermarket coilovers, they are not adjustable. for guys who autocross or just like track days, the adjustments allow them to ride and drive one way daily, and really lock down when needed. they are height adjustable, so even for show guys, they can drive daily at a certian height, and drop it on it's frame when they show it.
so, really, they are great for a lot of people. here are the ones i am looking at for my mr-s.

# Independently adjustable damping technology -rebound and compression damping

# inox-line stainless steel technology at no extra charge

# Individual height adjustment

# German TUEV-tested adjustment parameters

# High-quality components for long life

# Comprehensive documentation for ease of use

# Infinitely adjustable rebound damping

# 14- level adjustable compression damping

# Unique, independently functioning damping power adjustment

for the low low price of 1900 bucks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As found on McGeorge's forums.
Originally posted by mcgeorge@ 17 Oct 2006 8:58am
TRD is working on a  adjustable coil-over set for the Scion tC no ETA at this time
I am guessing sometime in the spring

Looks like pricing is around $1475.00 LIST
Anybody know what McG's track record is on accurate predictions?

I only resurrected this topic because I'd be interested in a set of TRD adjustables too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.