Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, has anyone gotten the TRD Clutch installed on their tC. I'm curious what the difference is between it at the standard clutch. Basically, I would like the clutch on the tC to have a stiffer spring and engage earlier (I'd like to not have to bring the clutch halfway out for the gear to engage) and I was hoping the TRD clutch would do this for me. I grew up driving a Ford Ranger and I really like the feel of that clutch (being able to rest my foot on it because the spring is strong enough). Anyway, anything else anyone knows about it would be great (like it's durability, etc). Thanks!

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
the parts they give you are solid and reliable. the clamping force is increased, though by what degree i am uncertain. i stopped looking at it when i found out that they dont include a new t/o bearing with it. plate and disc only. look at ACT for a clutch would be my opinion.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the TRD clutch and had it installed before I took delivery of the car. I test drove a tC with a 5speed but it was so long before I took delivery (3 months) that I cannot remember what it was like. I do remember the shift throw being very long but I had the short shifter installed before delivery as well so I cannot speak to the difference there either.

The clutch has performed well and it is set to release very close to the floor. I think you can adjust the slave cylinder to your liking even with the stock clutch. The pressure plate is pretty tough on you in rush hour (not in waco but DFW or Austin) -- since I do not drive those conditions but a few times a month it is ok.

With the s/c and other mods I get 3rd gear scratch if I try.....need better tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Einstein@Jan 28 2006, 01:27 PM
I have the TRD clutch and had it installed before I took delivery of the car. I test drove a tC with a 5speed but it was so long before I took delivery (3 months) that I cannot remember what it was like. I do remember the shift throw being very long but I had the short shifter installed before delivery as well so I cannot speak to the difference there either.

The clutch has performed well and it is set to release very close to the floor. I think you can adjust the slave cylinder to your liking even with the stock clutch. The pressure plate is pretty tough on you in rush hour (not in waco but DFW or Austin) -- since I do not drive those conditions but a few times a month it is ok.

With the s/c and other mods I get 3rd gear scratch if I try.....need better tires.
Thanks for the info. How much was installation?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Install price was not completely broken down as I had them do a bunch of stuff.

I have a partial breakdown of adds on this thread:

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...pic=7274&st=105

I will try to figure out what the remainder is compared to parts cost and final cost.
That should be the correct number for labor I think.

/after deducting the parts it looks like $467 that included all the after port installs --I kept all of my stock parts if anyone needs something/

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is a "can do" Perfect shape with throw out bearing and pressure plate. I will snap some pics if you want. It would be advisable to replace the tiny bearing that is in the center of the flywheel....Might not need to this early but why not if it is apart. (did I get that right??)

I wish I would have had the lightweight flywheel when I bought the car as I now have to pull the s/c off to seperate the housing for a flywheel upgrade. Damn. That mod will wait unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Einstein@Jan 28 2006, 01:52 PM
Install price was not completely broken down as I had them do a bunch of stuff.

I have a partial breakdown of adds on this thread:

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...pic=7274&st=105

I will try to figure out what the remainder is compared to parts cost and final cost.
That should be the correct number for labor I think.

/after deducting the parts it looks like $467 that included all the after port installs --I kept all of my stock parts if anyone needs something/
How do you like it compared to the stock clutch? How easy it to start in first gear or shift compared to a normal clutch? Thanks for your help.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Einstein@Jan 28 2006, 04:17 PM
It would be advisable to replace the tiny bearing that is in the center of the flywheel....
There is no pilot bearing. Few transaxles have pilot bearings, fewer still in low powered cars like the tC.

We have pictures of this if you'd like to see them.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It's not bad... Despite its price-highness. I like the way it feels over stock.

I also have a stock clutch ('bout 5500 miles of use) that I'd be willing to part with.
Also, BRAND NEW stock suspension (shocks, springs... Got the TRD suspension package with the car). Definitely willing to get rid of those. Takin' up too much space in the 'ole garage.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by Einstein@Jan 28 2006, 07:17 PM
I wish I would have had the lightweight flywheel when I bought the car as I now have to pull the s/c off to seperate the housing for a flywheel upgrade. Damn. That mod will wait unfortunately.
Heh, that's exactly what will be happening to my poor car tomorrow - SC comes off, new clutch and flywheel go in, the SC goes back on, hopefully without any complications. I pay for some of it because the dealer agreed to install my parts while they have the car apart anyway, but it's still a killer deal, especially considering it will be on record at Toyco.

I went with Clutch Masters Stage 1 (I think that was the normal kevlar clutch they had), and it comes with a bearing of sorts. My guess will be it's the infamous T/O bearing. Fidanza flywheel is on the FedEx truck right now, and if they won't damage it (yes, they have this kind of skill) like they did with a billion other things Marty, me and others had them ship, I'll set up an install appointment tomorrow.

Oh, dealer pays for the rental, too
All because of a squeaky clutch pedal...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.