Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I installed the TRD air filter today. If you pick up the top part of the filter housing and look in it, you will see what looks to be like another filter. I tapped the box, shook it, etc. It did not want to come out.

Has anyone removed this filter thingie? If so, how? It did not seem to want to come out, so I left it in there. The TRD filter should be better than than the white filter element I removed, but I sure would like to remove that other thingie. Has to be a drag on the incoming air!

Thanks in advance!

Dan

·
Registered
936 Posts
Its a second filter, primarily an air silencer. You would have to punch or cut it out.....and once you did, your tC would breath much louder.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you take yours out? I am wondering how to do it.
Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
936 Posts
no, theres no benefit to it. Once you cut it, you would have to take the entire intake off and clean it to make sure you dont suck any plastic into the upper plenum and DESTROY your valve train. You wont gain any HP from it, just a loud annoying HUFFFFFFFFFF when the car is under intake-strain.....ya know? - T

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I agree with T. The possible gain you may feel will not be worth the risk. If you want the car to breathe better, either get the filter (like you did) or get the whole intake.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Yea, I'm pleased with the TRD filter...I'm debating on whether to add a cold-air intake when they come out...

·
Registered
77 Posts
dont they already have an aem CAI for the tc?
Secondly what does the trd filter do and how much gains in hp or wahtever else can you feel

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by Tak Fujiwara@Aug 19 2004, 10:09 PM
dont they already have an aem CAI for the tc?
Secondly what does the trd filter do and how much gains in hp or wahtever else can you feel
the TRD filter is a K&N cotton filter element. It uses special oil on the cotton to catch dirt particles......while allowing more air to get through than a typical filter. I would say the gains are between 1 and 2 HP.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ooh, i also have a question for you guys:

I'm planning on getting the AEM CAI, should I also get the TRD air filter, or will the air filter on the CAI be a replacement for the regular one?

·
Registered
77 Posts
good question i was thinking same thing? I think (dont quote me on this) that the aem cai comes wid a k&n filter for it but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Aug 20 2004, 09:49 AM
ooh, i also have a question for you guys:

I'm planning on getting the AEM CAI, should I also get the TRD air filter, or will the air filter on the CAI be a replacement for the regular one?
The CAI air filter is a cone shaped element......wherease the TRD is a rectangle shape to fit the stock airbox. If you are getting the CAI, do not purchase the TRD filter, as it wont fit........and is made of the same type of high-flow filter element as the CAI filter is.- t

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by SilverX@Aug 20 2004, 07:23 PM
CAI is better of course... right?
argh, I know this is going to start a bunch of flame's bla bla................i dont think they are worth the money personally. You might gain 5 hp from it.....on a good day. Thats just my opinion, plus they are loud and annoying........but again, all opinons. -T

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I agree to an extent T. They will definitely open up the sound of the engine a bit... especially of you have the TRD exhaust also... it will make that louder also. But the power gains won't be what you think. The cooler the air is, the better the power gain, but because of the placement of the CAI, I think that once the motor is hot, it will warm the ambient air enough so that you're no longer getting much of a gain from it. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
77 Posts
i agree with you frost but still even with the motor warmed and the enviorment warm the CAI if it is heat shielded tha it will still help in terms of hp gain but also the cooler air helps combust the gasoline better and in turn you get even better gas mileage (lower RPM's/everyday driving; not racer/ricer driving) So i believe the CAI is worth the purchase and it will be paid off in the long run by the gas money you save

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i can see both sides here, but i am going to have to side with Tak on this one. the intake point on the long ram AEM draws the coldest air you can get thankfully, and while the power may not pin your head to the back of the seat, i have run one on every demo vehicle i have built and the difference in mid-range is noticeable. combined with the exhaust, as long as you arent opposed to the extra noise (and it aint too terrible, even in an xB) i would rock the intake if i wasnt waiting for my supercharger.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all. I will eventually remove the silencer. Did it before on other cars. You might as well get all the air in there you can!

I also won't be doing a CAI unless it is shielded. Doing it any other way is a waste of time and money!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 22 2004, 06:20 PM
Having a CAI will not improve your gas mileage, it is physically impossible. -T
That is one of the most debated topics in the "tuner" world. And you're right t, a cold air intake will NOT help gas mileage. If anything it may hurt it. But more than likely it will stay the same. If anyone tells you that a CAI will help your gas mileage they either have no idea what they're talking about, or they're lying to you.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts