Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!!! I'm new to this site and in the process of buying a tc.
Has anybody driven both the auto and the manual? I'm looking to find out the performance differences and how the maual is driving everyday[in stop and go,short trips,to work when your hungover,etc].Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I drove both the manual and the automatic and yeah the automatic drove smooth one of the best auto i ever drove but I purchased a 5 speed and the performance isbig differnce you can always expect there to be a diference in the both yeah the clutch is going to take a lil time to get use to but if you love to drive and love cars YOU'LL LOVE THE FIVE SPEED

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I love to drive cars and I love my auto tC.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Eh, guys, don't get me started on this. tC is my first 5-speed and I can't believe what I was missing all my life. But as everyone said - 5-speed is for the enthusiast.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
enthusiast

n 1: an ardent and enthusiastic supporter of some person or activity [syn: partisan, partizan] 2: a person having a strong liking for something [syn: fancier]

I forgot, I actually hate my tC, and despise driving. I guess that's why I got an automatic instead of a manual.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Auto transmissions are for losers and n00bs!!!?!?!?!??!11!

On a more serious note:
I enjoy the true absolute control that a manual gives, and the performance advantage, but for many, I can see that auto is a more practical solution for everyday driving.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Sep 9 2004, 05:31 AM
enthusiast

n 1: an ardent and enthusiastic supporter of some person or activity [syn: partisan, partizan] 2: a person having a strong liking for something [syn: fancier]

I forgot, I actually hate my tC, and despise driving.  I guess that's why I got an automatic instead of a manual.
basilisk4, you rock . i have an auto also. i love to drive, i love my car, diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Sep 9 2004, 08:31 AM
I forgot, I actually hate my tC, and despise driving. I guess that's why I got an automatic instead of a manual.
Don't get your knickers in a knot, Marty, I'm not ragging on the auto - it serves its purpose. And for some reason I think you bought an auto because you did not want to mess up your first new car with inexperienced 5-speed operation - I had same fears, and it is understandable.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by QSJ Ed@Sep 9 2004, 06:32 AM
Auto transmissions are for losers and n00bs!!!?!?!?!??!11!
Don't make me
you...

Ok... a manual is great for people who have time and live in places where traffic is not a major problem. I personally don't have time and I am always... always getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Unfortunately for me... thats life... and what works best is an auto tranny. I gotta have a free hand to eat dinner in the car after I leave work to drive to school.

I wish I was in some of your shoes so I could enjoy the added bliss of a manual tC. On another note... I love my auto tC... its wonderful and has tons of power and still gives me the zoom zoom feeling.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by sliverstreakmica@Sep 8 2004, 11:24 PM
I drove both the manual and the automatic and yeah the automatic drove smooth one of the best auto i ever drove but I purchased a 5 speed and the performance isbig differnce you can always expect there to be a diference in the both yeah the clutch is going to take a lil time to get use to but if you love to drive and love cars YOU'LL LOVE THE FIVE SPEED
Man you're HUGE on punctuation aren't you?

Yeah, I drove both the auto and 5spd tC... the auto is very well behaved, and seems to always be in the right gear... but doesn't have much as far as "Zoom" as its been referred to in this thread. I guess what that means is, the manual, depending on your driving style, can really throw you back in your seat and well... the auto just kinda drives like every other auto in the world. So on that note, i'd suggest the 5spd, simply because it makes the tC come to life. Not that the auto doesn't "move you" its just its more fun to take a bigger roll in the moving I guess.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I posted the gear ratios for both 5M and 4A (that's where the "zoom" comes from) - just look at the numbers and make a decision

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gotta get the manual!!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I test drove the auto tc, but ordered the 5spd, 'cuz I've always wanted manual. Now that I have it, there's a huge difference in pick up, the manual is much quicker and more responsive, and it's just plain more fun to drive. Sure I've had to make sacrifices such as not eating my breakfast on the way to work - it's kinda tough 'cuz now I need both hands and feet to drive, before it was one of each, but I've still managed to stuff my face this morning on the way to work with a bagel and an iced tea, but it is a bit more challenging. Now I definitely can't pick up my cell phone without a head set, but those are both good things in a way because I'm paying much more attention to driving, as opposed to doing other things.

Now, about traffic: I have at least a 30 min commute to college in the morning in heavy traffic, a 25 min commute to work on the highways (LIE) and about 45 min to 1hr commute home in poopy traffic. Lemme tell you, it was easier to do it with an auto, but having a 5spd's not so bad in traffic. It actually got me to practice shifting much more b/c I'm a first time 5spd driver, so in a way it's beneficial. I could see it getting tiring a few years from now, but I still think I'm gonna have tons of fun with the car. I agree with previous statements that the 5spd is more for an enthusiast, and it's definitely much more fun to drive. You have precise control of what your car is going to do, and this car in general in terms of acceleration and handling is very predictable. It's great, and now I see what i've been missing last few years that I've been driving auto.

I'd definitely recommend 5spd, if you don't mind shifting. It's a definite performance advantage (the 5spd is geared much shorter than the auto - hence the extra "power" feel), but if you're looking for something that's more "user friendly" and dont wanna hassle with the shifting, then the auto works just fine, the car is still great.

PS: If you're a guy and you have any cojones, get the 5spd!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Sep 9 2004, 10:55 AM
Sure I've had to make sacrifices such as not eating my breakfast on the way to work - it's kinda tough 'cuz now I need both hands and feet to drive, before it was one of each, but I've still managed to stuff my face this morning on the way to work with a bagel and an iced tea, but it is a bit more challenging.
Yeah it's way tougher to eat when you're using both of your feet

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hey, is that sarcasm I smell? :c) Haven't you heard? I use my feet to eat all the time! No wonder everything I eat smells like cheese.......

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by QSJ Ed+Sep 9 2004, 02:03 PM-->QUOTE (QSJ Ed @ Sep 9 2004, 02:03 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-whosthatrussian
@Sep 9 2004, 10:55 AM
Sure I've had to make sacrifices such as not eating my breakfast on the way to work - it's kinda tough 'cuz now I need both hands and feet to drive, before it was one of each, but I've still managed to stuff my face this morning on the way to work with a bagel and an iced tea, but it is a bit more challenging.
Yeah it's way tougher to eat when you're using both of your feet [/b]
Ok, who's going to clean up coffee that I just sprayed all over my 2 monitors and a keyboard?

·
Registered
936 Posts
done the manual thing before on all my Mustangs......at some point you realize that its time to go the more convient route of having an auto as a daily-drver. Although my mustang had an aftermarket Spec Stage-2 kevlar clutch....the pedal was very heavy and annoying. Anyways, they make two transmission because people have different needs! - t

1 - 20 of 32 Posts