Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lance and I have looked into several ways to overcome the poorly laid out gear spread in the tC manual transaxle. Camry, Celica, etc, swaps and a few other ideas, nothing has worked out just yet.

But, today I was informed the MR2 gen 2 boxes may fit or at least the internals may and many came with an LSD on the turbo cars. I have found a couple for sale but I want to know the actual ratios, all of them, including final drive before I pursue this further.

Right now our tC box is sitting on the shop floor waiting for us to install the PG LSD, etc but we have the flue so taking a few days to recover.

I have heard that a brand new unit, even with an LSD, can be purchased for a resonable cost so I am going to look into that as well. Even if we had to swap internals it would be great to have better ratios!!

I will report what I learn, been on forums, etc, waiting for my log in ok for the major MR2 forum, looking for others. I may try paying $10 for a days session to check out the repair manual, if it is on there. Looking into the 93+MR2 turbo(I think the trannies are the same for NA but not sure yet)

Anybody have any info let me know!
Rick

· Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I found the service manual for the MR2 E153 transaxle. Not looking to good, alot of smaller external differences but the biggest one is internal. The 153 has two external detent ball ports(detents are what keep the transmission from popping out of gear) like the last units I installed an LSD into, out of the Matrix cars. The tC gearbox does not have the same type nor in the same location.

Unless the case was cast with the areas in place that could be drilled, tapped and utilized, it would not stay in gear.

Also another issue comes to light, the are where the output shaft enters and connects to the differential is very different on the MR2 unit.

This could still be something that could be done but it is looking rather difficult at this time and more like it just is not going to work. AND, I still do not know what the gear ratios are.

Updates will be posted when and if I have them.

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.