Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today I was looking at the Dodge Neon SRT-4 and I was thinking how it is such a nice car. I was looking at trading in the Scion tC and getting the Neon. I would do it around March after I get some more money. Instead of buying more parts for the tC, I was just going to buy the Neon. What do you guys think? Is it really worth it, or should I keep with my Scion?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i must excuse myself from this thread. we have opinions of nice car that are far too different.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I'm not sure that the two are comparable in any way. Now, this is just my opinion (although many would agree with me), but here's how I see it:

Pros - Neon SRT-4:

1. Faster

Pros - Scion tC:

1. More reliable
2. More attractive
3. Less common
4. Better re-sale value
5. Cheaper, not just in initial cost but also in terms of the money you will save by not trading your car and buying a new one
6. Not a Dodge

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Agreed, Basilisk.

No offense to the SRT-4 owners, but it's still a NEON!

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ right. i mean, i try to be objective, but i own a tC, i put more money into it, and i freakin sell them every day. i am biased.

and i think trading in a tC on any dodge is a bad move. but, as a car dealer, i have my finger a little more on the pulse of the industry than the average consumer. there isnt anything that would make me consider a new domestic.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
its not just the reliability. the resale is another reason. and the dollar to feature ratio runs heavily slanted towards the tC. a supercharged tC just does more for me. it may not for you. that is why they make so many different cars.

sure, my ride isnt quite as fast as an srt-4. but i look better going down the street. and five years from now, it will be worth more.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
So keep the tC and use the $6,000+ it would've cost you to trade in the tC for a SRT-4 to get a used 300ZX or 3000GT VR4 or something.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Dec 29 2005, 05:23 PM
i must excuse myself from this thread. we have opinions of nice car that are far too different.
D, your posts did add insight, but what did you say at the beginning?

My $.02 neons, cobalts and ions are teh suck, even with a supercharger, flux capacitor, lithium drive whatever.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I had a 2001 Dodge Neon. I purchased with 10,000 miles on it. The car was ok, but the brakes went out before I had 25,000 miles on it. My brother also had a 2000 Neon and the brakes were getting bad before he traded it in. I got $4500 for the car when I traded it in. The car had 38,000 miles on it. The car was $9500 when I bought. Also, the Neon will soon be replaced by the Caliber.

Stay with the TC. The Neon runs a 13.8 in a 1/4 mile. You can easily put a ZPI 0 stage turbo on the TC, and run straight up with it. That will only cost you $2800, plus intstall Which you might be able to do by yourself.

Take it from me, I felt like a girl driving a Neon. But my Neon did not have a turbo. The TC also looks a lot better and has a better resale value then Dodge. I also had a 2004 Dodge Ram. The value of that truck fell fast then Paris Hilton's panties. Stupid family plan, screwed me of a few thousand in trade-in.

Bottom line keep the TC!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Okay...here are my thoughts.

If you are more of a hardcore performance guy who's willing to give up certain conveniences or cosmetics, then the SRT-4 is still the better car. Yes, it may lose in value or whatnot, but you can use that to work with you, not against you. You can probably find them for dirt cheap and the performance given by the SRT-4 is unrivaled in its price category. Plus, we're just looking at it being stock..it doesn't take a lot of money to make it run fast.

In terms of reliability...let's just say that all the important things are reliable, like the powertrain, from what I've read on srt forums. If you can get over some interior tidbits falling off or whatnot, then it should be acceptable.

But if you were to make the switch, you'll find a lot of people ridiculing your car since you're giving up a lot of other stuff for that cheap speed. It all depends on what you want, really.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Seriously, Look up how many problems Doge Neon SRT-4's have had and you should find your answer. You could jsut supercharge the tC and be just as fast. + have the reliability of Toyota. Also The tC looks way better the SRT-4 in my opinion.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I did some research on Autotrader.com. Used SRT-4's with 15,000 miles cost around $17,000. But, a used car with a turbo most likely had the sh#t ran out of it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.