Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone decided to add Toyota's protectant paint sealant coating on their tC??? I guess they put a coat of something over the clear coat and that is supposed to keep your car shiny and fade free for at least 5 years.

I am thinking about doing it but I am not sure... does anyone have other experiences with Toyota's sealant coating??

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by imasaf@Jul 21 2004, 03:55 PM
Has anyone decided to add Toyota's protectant paint sealant coating on their tC??? I guess they put a coat of something over the clear coat and that is supposed to keep your car shiny and fade free for at least 5 years.

I am thinking about doing it but I am not sure... does anyone have other experiences with Toyota's sealant coating??
please dont waste your money on that. From what I hear it is a Teflon based product, and that is an outright gimmic. If you are to busy to ever wax your car, then get it but if you have an hour spare time a week........forget about it and do it yourself. I use a product called Zaino, its a synthetic wax and is UV protectant.....one coat lasts about 4-7 months. Its only 15.00 for both steps (2 different bottles) so that is considerably cheaper.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is the under carriage coating crap a waste of money too? I guess so stuff doesnt rust under the car. Im from Cali/AZ now living in Alaska for the next three years. Do I need it? I'll be moving back to AZ in three years and Alaska doesnt salt the roads.

Sorry for high jacking your thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

I live in minnesota and personally any car that I spend any money on will get the underbody coating, they use more salt on the roads here then Mcdonalds puts on their fries. Work at a car dealership and when a car gets lifted up the ones that are not protected are all rusted out. So if you are in a state that uses any salt I would spring for the undercoating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Before reading car forums, I never knew cities put salt on their roads for snow. (I live in San Diego... woot).

I say just wax your car every week, every 2 weeks would be ok too.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time is money... money is time...

Since I don't have time... I guess I got to spend the money.

·
Registered
244 Posts
since none of the other posts seemed to answer your question...yes i did get the sealant for my Tc.

-it seems to work real well thus far. i dont need to wax my car, and it protects it from small road rocks and things of that sort. so it worksfor me, but it cost me too damn much.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mr San Diego, your salt is just as big of a problem as the salt on the roads for snow. The difference is your salt is in the air and will rust in odd places as it settles on your car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's great, but if you mess up your car in a crash then you'd have wasted some of your money. I lost a huge junk of coating on my rear bumper because I got hit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Sep 9 2005, 04:15 AM
Mr San Diego, your salt is just as big of a problem as the salt on the roads for snow. The difference is your salt is in the air and will rust in odd places as it settles on your car.
Not as bad as where I used to live up in the Northwestern tip of California...During the summer it would be foggy until about 2:30-3 pm...EVERY car there suffered some sort of salt-induced decay....I haven't seen any real signs of it here (of course it is a lot hotter here..)

·
Registered
27 Posts
well the dealer gave me the toyoguard plus (i believe its called) for free because he was hasseling me about buying the car right that second and wouldnt let off. cant really tell u how well its holding up considering iv had the car for about, lets say, 10 hours now and 50 miles
if i see any changes or if there is any difference when i clean her i'll let u know. i wash my car once a week and wax twice a month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got something similar called Simioniz on my TC. The dealer had a Camry with it on and the paint was noticible smoother than any other new paint job on the floor. I've only had mine for about three weeks. Doesn't seem to help water sheding or anything, said it won't protect from scratches and such either. Mainly for paint fade due to the sun... Also had the interior done, kind of like scotchguard... I figure I'll have this car for a long time so I might as wel go for it!!!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
This thread is vying for Jason Voorhies for "Most Resurrected". We need to cut it's head off and shoot it into the sun, or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (kamelot @ Nov 9 2005, 09:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=108386
It's great, but if you mess up your car in a crash then you'd have wasted some of your money. I lost a huge junk of coating on my rear bumper because I got hit.[/b]
They told me that if that ever happens then I could go back to the dealer and they would put that stuff on the new piece for free if it is within 5 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i do a detailed wax about every 2 months, but every time i wash my car i use "Wax As You Dry", you use it as you dry your car with a Chamois so it doesnt take much longer. Its great if you dont have a lot of time on your hands. My opinion is, waxing ur car every week with a paste is a waste of time since most people wont have their car long enough for the paint to fade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts