Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Net 2nd quarter fiscal profits for Toyota... $308 billion. That's a lot of money. They are the #1 car manufacturer in the world right now.

GM alone has lost 3 billion this year. Honda, Nissan, and Mazda also made good profits but were nowhere near Toyota
So yes... while people say Honda/Nissan have better sports cars... Toyota could beat the snot out of 'em if they just throw a couple of billion at the project

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Good point. Where did you read/ hear this? I want to read up too!

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by ALaS@Nov 7 2005, 10:15 PM
Good point. Where did you read/ hear this? I want to read up too!
Any financial news site will do, they are all over the headlines
MSN Money and a google search help find it though.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I don't think it's fully because of Scion. Toyota's marketing department is very good, and they make very fuel efficient cars. With the recent price hike, many people switched to smaller, more efficient cars.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Toyota has been doing very well for years. Lexus is taking over the luxury car market, and now Scion is threatening to do the same with younger car buyers. Toyota has always made a great car; what they have shown in the last 10 or so years is that they are also shrewd at marketing.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Toyota makes car manufacturing look easy. Offer a wide range of products that are know for being reliable, sell them at competitive prices, and market them well. I wish GM would follow Toyota's lead. Instead they offer a wide range of cars that shouldn't exist with the exception of the Z06, discount them so they only make money on the financing of the vehicle, and market their vehicles poorly.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Toyota also helps keep it's costs down buy running its own pharmacy for employees. I have no numbers for the savings that provides but I imagine they are quite impressive.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i dont recall toyota ever launching something and failing at it. you can pretty much bank on toyota in any regard. those guys know how to run a company. hell, even as horrible as the echo was, we get people weekly calling and looking for them.
while scion is not responsible for the vast dollar amount that toyota is head and shoulders above everyone with, we are responsible for dropping the average age of a toyota buyer from mid forties to low-mid thirties. i would say that counts for something, seeing as how that was one of our main objectives when they launched this line.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
question : if not for the scion tC, where would you have been looking for a car?

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
When I was first shopping, I was looking at Hondas and Nissans.

I saw a newspaper ad for the tC, liked the look of it, but thought, "Ugh, its one of those Scions."

Glad I checked it out anyway.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whilst Toyota is in my blood, I don't rule out other cars. My other car choices were a Volvo S40 T5 AWD, Mazda RX-8, and RSX-S. In the end, the price of the tC and it's styling is what won me over... especially being able to mod it. Was much cheaper than the other cars

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Nissan Altima, Toyota Corolla S

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Mazda3 5-door manual
S40 T5 AWD manual
Legacy 2.5GT manual
Impreza 2.5RS manual
Forester 2.5XT manual

I was not settling for under 2.5liters (okay, 2.4 is fine), which is why WRX was not on my shopping list at the time (I did not know 2.5liter WRX was on its way, and I was really annoyed at the lag on my dad's '02 WRX). In the end I picked tC because I can't find any easy mods for the Volvo or the Legacy, the Impreza was not very pretty and the Forester was very not pretty at all. As for Mazda3, I wasn't too firm on its reliability compared to Toyota or Subaru (with the Volvo at least I am buying a, "premium," brand and would get better service when (not if) I hit problems). The gorgeous styling and ridiculously low price of entry of the tC, plus a very positive test drive experience, is what won me over in the end.

-Ed

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i was eyeballing acura for a "coupe". toyota offered nothing in that category that struck my fancy until the tC was released.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The Honda Accord Coupe, Acura RSX, and Acura TSX were the three cars that made it past my initial screening (in which reliability was a big factor, since I for one actually plan to own my car). The TSX was more than I was willing to spend, and the RSX was out because my fiance owned one. So, I had settled on the Accord Coupe, which I really liked.

Then news of the tC's release came. Within about a week, I was completely convinced.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yeah, marty, i cant see you in an accord coupe. i drove one for a couple hours (the 2.4L) and i stand firm that no one under 45 should own that car. like the solara.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I enjoyed the Accord Coupe, whereas I thought that the Solara was an ugly tub of ugliness.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.