Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We finally got around to stripping teh car down so we can start deadening, wiring, alarm install, etc, etc. The roof is out, all in one piece so we can start working out how to have a CF roof made for it.

Not counting the nuts, many of them, and the wiring, the rest of the roof weighs in at 61.5 lbs, not as bad as we though it would be. But, when you pick up something that awkward to weigh it there seems to be alot more mass than that.

Mounted up on the top of the car it has a very detrimental effect on handling, we will probably lose 50 lbs with the new roof, now just have to find somebody to make it for us.

We can probably get several companies interested if we can get at least ten on order.

We were hoping to find that all three pieces of glass bolted in and thought at first they did but the rear section is glued to the frame:( We were thinking of having all three glass pieces made of CF so anybody could install them, did not work out that way. We were then going to take out the tracks and motor, etc, for our car but others could still use theirs.

Unless we get some very serious interest in the front two panels being made seperately we are going to just go for a one piece roof that bolts in and has some really good crossbracing to stiffen up the chassis. The factory roof has two braces built in so relatively strong.

Mods, we are not in the CF business, just wanting something for our project car and if others want it we just want to help make it happen.

Rick

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
WHAT HAPPENED TO MY CAR!!!

hahaha... the tC really has lots of sound deading material on it... good luck w/ that project

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Any chance you could get just the glass on the scale so the rest of us can evaluate the improvement? What about building the crossbrace into the CF roof (basically a big X box section on the inside, it could be a lot lighter and stiffer than a separate piece because it would have additional support from the roof sheet)? Are the attachment points numerous enough to transfer the load without needing a 12mm bolt on each corner?

I'm assuming you are not going for a cage or rollbar...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are twenty four 10mm bolts if you count the 8 for the stock cross members.

Deffinately plan on two crossmembers and xbraces. Thinking aluminum crossmembers for a bit more strength incase of rollover.

We will probably fill all the pillars and sills with expanding foam, the good stuff.

Since now is the time, going to look really closely at building a roll bar as well, not a cage though, the car needs to have easy access for shows.

Rick

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I don't know what your budget for a bar or cage is, but there were 3 Supras built for PPG pacecars way back in the day. They had full cages that were so beautifully integrated you could not see them by looking in the car. I was told that many tech inspectors refused to let the cars run until they saw the certification documents from the builder. Unfortunately, I don't know who did the work, but something like that would be awesome for the tC.

You're way up north now? I'll have to come visit, I have a nephew in Oregon I need to see anyway.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, we are in Yreka, moving to near Portland in a couple of months. We are looking for a small town storefront shop we can live above, to buy and remodel. May or may not have a walk in store, probably not at least for some time.

You and everyone else are always welcome!

No budget for a cage like that. I saw a homebuilt one at a show in So Cal, Subaru rally style daily driver and the cage was incredible, he was able to get it certified but took awhile, best cage I have ever seen period. It had the peforated plates goingn to the pillars through the plastic trim and so perfectly fit just hard to imagine doing it, had to take a huge amount of time just for that.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.