Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 70 year old DIY that bought a then new 2005 TC for my son. Fast forward 15 years later I traded my Camry with his Scion. 3 weeks ago and 317,000+ miles the clutch started acting up. I couldn't get in gear less I turned off the car. Even when I start it with it in 1st gear and fully depressed the clutch, I can feel the car ever so slightly moving forward. Only way it can do that is if the pressure plate is not pulled back all the way. I changed the Primary and secondary slave cylinder with a 1/4 inch push rod, but still doing the same thing. Only two other possibility would be a bent fork and a worn surface on the throw out bearing or/and the contact to the "fingers of the pressure plate. So it's a clutch job on the TC and getting "phyched" up for it. Did I mention 3 weeks ago I started... did I also mention I just turned 70. Today I just split apart the engine and tranny... tomorrow I will be dropping the tranny, taking the pressure plate off, and installing the new pressure plate. Oops forgot I have to buy 6 new bolts, recommended not to use the old ones for more accurate torquing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats, jack.
don’t fret about your age, I’m ten years behind you and landed a 2012 tC.
check out my bio.
I'm a Chevy man myself. My first car that I bought in my senior year was a '67 327, Chevy Camaro. Had a 2 speed powerglide that I changed to 4 speed Muncice M21, Holly 650, Edelbrock Hi-rise. Loved the G-force. Unfortunately, due to hard times had to sell it around 2012. Yeah the Scion is great fun, though I no longer go radical for all out power. The age thing is a fact that I have to contend with that I no longer have the strength to bench press the tranny into connecting the engine. The Scion tranny install in the connection to the engine have 3 obstacles in lining up, the rear motor mount, the pilot shaft, and the bolt holes. The trans/axle does not have a flat bottom for a floor jack which makes lining up very difficult. Yesterday I spent 3 hours with no success, today I'm psyching myself up to tackle it again... I'm determined and confident I'll be able to do it. I have pixs on part of my process that I'll share later.

·
Registered
2012 tC hatchback
11 Posts
Chevy man here too! Impalas, Novas, Monte Carlo, Camaros. I had a 69 Vet, 327 Muncie rock crusher four speed.

I’m going to have my Scion manual trans diagnosed because of a bad whine noise in every gear. After a full clutch replacement it’s still noisy. I suspect it is the spline shaft from the trans into the clutch throw out bearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chevy man here too! Impalas, Novas, Monte Carlo, Camaros. I had a 69 Vet, 327 Muncie rock crusher four speed.

I’m going to have my Scion manual trans diagnosed because of a bad whine noise in every gear. After a full clutch replacement it’s still noisy. I suspect it is the spline shaft from the trans into the clutch throw out bearing.
Whining noise in all gears, sounds like trans/axel (rear end gear box in our rear wheel drive) or CV joints (any detoriated rubber boots). I would check gear oil if it is to level, or drain and refill... see if there are any metal particles in the drain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts