Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally took delivery of my tC..
But there is one problem.. the bridgestone RE950's tires (stock size) I put on there really hurt the performance of the tC.. On Center steering feel is vague, a bit numb.. not what i like.. Not to mention it's causing the car (going to prove this on monday at the dealer) to drift quickly to the right.. Quite annoying.. the RE92's that I drove on the test drive didn't do this at all.. The dealer has checked the alignment and it's exactly on. No reason to doubt that the car is doing this.. They are going to swap the left side and right side tires on monday.. hopefully the car drifts to the left after that.. then it'll prove it's these tires.. Because I cannot see how it can be the car since the alignment checks out perfectly.. There is no reason to keep the bridgestone's I will be returning them right away to the tire dealer and getting a refund under the 30-day test drive bridgestone offers.. I plan on going with some Pirelli PZero Nero M&S.. Yeah I know that they aren't good in snow, but for a 3-season tire I have to get a tire that can put up with the cold.. Summer tires can't do that.. not in michigan.. april-november.. snow tires will be coming soon too..

The rest of the car? It's good.. Brakes are awesome, good firm pedal feel.. Acceleration is quick, but haven't been able to really test out the engine since it's still breaking in. No rattles or squeaks at all in this car either sunroof open or closed. Radio is decent.. I can't complain, it's probably one of the better stock radios but I don't think it can compete with a base aftermarket radio.. Seats? They are good.. Didn't know that the headrest tilts on the drivers side.. now I have more headroom since it's not "coming at my head".. lol

I am a tall guy 6'6.. and it's taken some tweaks to get the seat just right.. Either I was too far away or too close to the dash.. Figured out that I like the seat cushion flat (horizontal) not angled down (front to rear part towards back of the seat).. anyway i pumped the seat up.. now I'm doing better.. Just gotta tweak it to get it like I like it.. headroom.. i can pass my hand above my head and the headliner (sunshade) that's how close it is.. but I just open the sunshade and problem solved.. for the price I cannot complain!!

The sunroof is amazing, not a lot of wind buffeting in the car.. very solid.. The auto down windows, got used to that in the civic coupe.. but auto up? now that's great! and the outside mirror turn signals are just too cool.. headlights are definitely bright enough.. was driving at dusk.. nice blueish-white color to them.. instruments are well lit.. and everything is lit.. a sort of yellow-orange color.. the radio is also lit.. i read somewhere that the radio didn't have illumination? not true.. of course it does.. oh and there is a storage bin by the cigarette lighter.. lit up at night.. nice..

I have read that some people (well one) dented their hatch lid by pushing down to close it.. I merely grab the handle and pull hard letting gravity do the rest.. problem solved.. the "trunk" area is smaller than the civic, but it's usuable for me..

hmm what else can I tell you.. I have heard the high pitched whine when accelerating that people have been concerned about.. I had a similar noise on my old civic coupe.. it's the air rushing into the intake.. kinda nice sounding actually.

Other than that, it's really nice, but for serious handling I can see that springs and shocks are in order, defnitely.. this stock set up with satisfy 70-80% of the buyers of this car. if I had the money i'd upgrade it.. but hey it's still fun in stock trim.. Quality in this car is top notch.. little touches of quality all around. They really went all out to have quality, fit and finish is excellent.. I really don't think I'm driving a toyota.. but a lexus..

yes I have had people take a look at the car.. but most of the time the silver just seems to blend in with traffic.. I looked around one day stopped at a light, and there were like 3 other silver colored cars around me.. So yeah blending in is something I do like.. i like to be a "sleeper".. have lots of performance without getting any attention.. works for me!!

I'll edit this later with anything new I find.. like when I get these tires removed and replaced with Pirelli PZERO's.. if anyone would like to ask anything or give me suggestions on new tires.. post them..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Congrats on the car... and nice honest review. I also do not like the stock rubber.... just seems like they took the cheap way out with the tires.... and everything else you mentioned I agree with. I'm 6'5" so I know what you're talking about with the head room too. Glad to hear you're pleased just as we all are or will be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
Congrats! Nice write-up. A few comments:

- (To SilverX:) Drift has a normal english meaning, you know...

- Also, not really sure why everyone complains about the tires. I haven't had any problems with them at all, and find that they provide a rather pleasant ride. I guess the rest of you are racing at high speed or something?

- The stock stereo in this car is as good as or better than most aftermarket radios I have ever heard, and as good as or better than 100% of the stock radios I have heard (the only one that came close was the 8-speaker Infiniti set in my dad's V8 Grand Cherokee). Except for the super-low-end bass that a nice sub would provide, I just don't see what it's lacking...when I was considering replacing the back speakers since I found out they were paper-cone, I took it to a nice stereo shop nearby and they said they wouldn't do anything on it except add a sub.

Just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks.. yeah thought i should give a "Real world" report on the car.. after the initial euphoria has hit..

the stereo is nice.. for factory.. I am just used to alpine equipment in my old car.. I personally haven't really ever liked pioneer's audio equipment.. especially their head units.. the speakers are good.. but the head units are always "bass heavy" especially in the mid bass area.. and for me I like the midrange crispness of alpine's.. But Hey i can always pull this out and put in an alpine.. just no $$$ right now.. lol

it's just that we've heard about the bad reviews of the tires.. and people getting flats easily, blow outs, etc.. that's why I didn't want to take a chance and put other tires on the car.. But the RE950's aren't any good on this car.. I am thinking this car's suspension set up is too sensitive to the unidirectional tread of the 950.. the pirelli Pzero nero m&s has 3 main ribs in the tread.. just like the Re92's.. I believe this sort of set up can add a crispness to the steering feel.. whereas the 950's only have on center rib.. the rest is the tread for the water evacuation..

I just hope the Pirelli's work out.. I'm getting tired of these tire issues..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
I guess it's just a matter of personal preference -- I have always LOVED Pioneer products (especially the head units, hehe). Well, get whatever will make you happy in your tC.


As far as the tired go, any set of Pirellis will beat any set of Bridgestones, so that should work out great for you, but let me know. The only problem with Pirellis, to my understanding, is how quickly they rub down...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zygote.. very very funny.. ha ha ha..
yeah well i like to tweak things.. i just can't leave things alone.. hahaha


basilisk.. yeah everyone likes different things.. and hey that's cool you like pioneer products.. i love their speakers.. but hey it's nothing major.. just wait a bit for the aftermarket to catch up and get a mounting kit and throw in an alpine.. I would take a pioneer over a stock radio like a ford or any other stock radio (no name) something any day!

so the pirelli's are really that much better than bridgestones? night and day differences? what have you heard about the pzero nero's?? if anything..

Yeah I was noticing robots made the pirelli's.. finally get rid of that balancing issue with bridgestones.. very frustrating.. Just glad that bridgestone has that 30day refund policy.. the pzero nero's look good to me from the reviews and taking a look at the design.. I noticed 3 main tread ribs compared to only one on the directional bridgestone.. and from what I remember about tires, those ribs add steering response to the steering wheel..But yeah I will definitely let everyone know how it goes..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Aug 22 2004, 11:01 AM
I guess it's just a matter of personal preference -- I have always LOVED Pioneer products (especially the head units, hehe). Well, get whatever will make you happy in your tC.


As far as the tired go, any set of Pirellis will beat any set of Bridgestones, so that should work out great for you, but let me know. The only problem with Pirellis, to my understanding, is how quickly they rub down...
I have no problem with Pioneer, but I had an Alpine in my last car. There's no comparison.

My only REAL gripe with the stock head unit is the lack of a volume knob. The buttons are a pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by sciontc_mich@Aug 22 2004, 11:45 AM
zygote.. very very funny.. ha ha ha..
yeah well i like to tweak things.. i just can't leave things alone.. hahaha


basilisk.. yeah everyone likes different things.. and hey that's cool you like pioneer products.. i love their speakers.. but hey it's nothing major.. just wait a bit for the aftermarket to catch up and get a mounting kit and throw in an alpine.. I would take a pioneer over a stock radio like a ford or any other stock radio (no name) something any day!

so the pirelli's are really that much better than bridgestones? night and day differences? what have you heard about the pzero nero's?? if anything..

Yeah I was noticing robots made the pirelli's.. finally get rid of that balancing issue with bridgestones.. very frustrating.. Just glad that bridgestone has that 30day refund policy.. the pzero nero's look good to me from the reviews and taking a look at the design.. I noticed 3 main tread ribs compared to only one on the directional bridgestone.. and from what I remember about tires, those ribs add steering response to the steering wheel..But yeah I will definitely let everyone know how it goes..
I'm glad you took what I said as a joke instead of getting offended


When I HAVE to replace the tires on this car I'll get something different than what I have right now, but I can't afford to replace brand new tires unless there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with them. I don't get any snow where I live either. I'm glad you're replacing your tires early and giving the rest of us a little review.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Good review!

As for the tires, come on folks, there are no manufacturers that put great tires on new cars. It is pretty much a given. Your best bet is to wear them out, and get the replacement you want. No need to slam Toyota when they are following a time-honored practice.

I once had a Mazda 323 turbo sedan -- pretty much a stealth Honda killer. Not even the insurance company knew Mazda made these.
AAR, the tire it had on were so sticky in dry weather you would swear the car would climb up a wall. But park it on some wet grass and you were not going to get off the grass any time soon. So, I ran it like heck until I wore them out in about 16K and got some well balanced tires.

Ditto for my long gone 3.0L Z3 and my Inifinti J35. Ride the car hard, and while you are doing it, save the shekels for new tires. Most of all, enjoy the car while you ride it hard!

Regards,

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Originally posted by GA tC@Aug 22 2004, 06:40 PM
Good review!

As for the tires, come on folks, there are no manufacturers that put great tires on new cars. It is pretty much a given. Your best bet is to wear them out, and get the replacement you want. No need to slam Toyota when they are following a time-honored practice.

I once had a Mazda 323 turbo sedan -- pretty much a stealth Honda killer. Not even the insurance company knew Mazda made these.
AAR, the tire it had on were so sticky in dry weather you would swear the car would climb up a wall. But park it on some wet grass and you were not going to get off the grass any time soon. So, I ran it like heck until I wore them out in about 16K and got some well balanced tires.

Ditto for my long gone 3.0L Z3 and my Inifinti J35. Ride the car hard, and while you are doing it, save the shekels for new tires. Most of all, enjoy the car while you ride it hard!

Regards,

Dan
Ferrari puts custom made Pirrelli's on the Enzo and F40,F50 ........i think they are roughly $1k per tire???


p.s. just busting ball's (although what i said was true!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow ONLY 1,000? sheesh.. lol and here i thought the pirelli's i wanted were too good of a deal at $120.. darn.. why do i always miss all the deals? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
yea they are designed to have less wind resistance and make less wind-noise and road noise.......and corner well at over 1.0g on the skidpad, all while being able to travel at the Enzo's top speed of like 240mph........haha. A Ferrara 360 Modena in Black Red or Silver is my dream car!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top