Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got new low beam bulbs, they are the superwhite bulbs and they are 80 watts. does anyone know if this is too high of a wattage. cause after only a few minutes of being on the headlight glass get pretty hot.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Welcome to the site!

For low beam bulbs, you want close to 50W
Low Beam 9006, 51W, Halogen[/b]
Not sure how much heat the the lens can handle, but you should worry about the wiring harness melting... a dealership most likely won't have any extras sitting around, so you'd probably have to buy a whole new assembly

More info here:
http://www.yoursciontc.com/information/bulb_sizes.html

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by tc'skill27@Sep 28 2004, 07:13 PM
i just got new low beam bulbs, they are the superwhite bulbs and they are 80 watts. does anyone know if this is too high of a wattage. cause after only a few minutes of being on the headlight glass get pretty hot.
This is a bad, BAD idea. Using 80W bulbs will probably melt or at least damage the wiring to the headlights. I speak from experience -- I used high-wattage bulbs on my last car for awhile, and you could actually see burn and soot marks on the bulb connectors. Keep in mind that this will also void your warranty.

I would highly recommend sticking to the wattage listed in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recommend against all so called "super white" bulbs. They are actually far worse than stock. Here is why:

Blue tinted halogen bulbs such as PIAA Super Whites and Sylvania Silver Stars (North America only -- European Silver Stars aren't filtered) are said to increase lighting performance through "whiter" light. These bulbs work through the use of a filter coated on the outside of the bulb. This filter blocks off certain wavelengths of light and allows blue light to pass through. Halogen lights, by their nature, do not produce very much light in the blue spectrum. This is fine because blue light has the shortest wavelength of the color spectrum. The human eye has difficulty focusing on blue light at night because of its short wavelength. Halogens just weren't designed to output blue light because blue light does such a poor job at illuminating the road. So, in order to get that blue tint, a filter must be placed on the bulb to block out other wavelengths and let blue light pass through.

You can see this principle for yourself if you have a car with a blue tint strip on the top of the windshield. Find an orange colored streetlight. These types of street lights (high pressure sodium) output a great deal of lumens but it is primarily in the red side of the light spectrum. When you look at the light through the blue tint strip on your windshield, the light looks whiter. However, it is also much dimmer. What you see there is the same process that goes on when you equip a blue tinted halogen bulb on your car.

The skeptical may ask, "If the blue filter robs so much light away, how come Silverstars don't look any dimmer than my stock bulbs?" The answer is that the filament (the wire inside the bulb) is overdriven to compensate for the filter. Legal regulations only allow for certain wattages to be used on headlights, so the wattage cannot be increased. So what blue bulb manufacturers did was to use a filament meant for a lower voltage and use that to increase light output. For all that effort, the overdriven bulb lies just barely in the acceptable range of light output.

In engineering, there is no free lunch. In this case, the tradeoff is that the longevity of the bulb is reduced due to overdriving the filament.

So to summarize, don't buy Silverstar bulbs. They:
  • are more expensive
  • produce less useable light
  • produce more glare to other drivers
  • don't last as long as regular halogens

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the great explanation, panasoanic! Looking forward to more posts from you in the future!

·
Registered
936 Posts
i hate when people come on here and dont quote their sources....i read the same article on the site OF THE PERSON WHO WROTE IT.......And yes, it is important to site stuff you cut/paste. -T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts