Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the day is approaching.....I will order my car by the end of the week.

So here is what I have decided on.

Super White w/ the following upgrades:

1) Strut bar
2) Sway bar
3) Springs
4) Autodimm mirror
5) ?
6) ?

I need your help picking another upgrade or two aside from anything related to audio.

I look forward to hearing your arguments.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
TRD supercharger? :c) Well, if you say you don't have enough money, then I'd suggest to get the stuff that will be useful, so I like your first three choices. The mirror is overpriced in my opinion, and is not really that great of an addition to your tC. Unless you're so lazy that you can't flip the little thingy on the mirror so it dims, or you're missing a right hand, I don't think that the mirror is a good way of spending $310!! I'd suggest to get the cold air intake, and some floor mats that you can get from mcgeorge parts at a discount.

Another hint: anything you feel you can install yourself, do it, and save money from the dealer installation charge. The dealer options in my opinion are way overpriced. Who the hell pays $300 for a mirror??

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Aug 16 2004, 11:34 AM
TRD supercharger? :c) Well, if you say you don't have enough money, then I'd suggest to get the stuff that will be useful, so I like your first three choices. The mirror is overpriced in my opinion, and is not really that great of an addition to your tC. Unless you're so lazy that you can't flip the little thingy on the mirror so it dims, or you're missing a right hand, I don't think that the mirror is a good way of spending $310!! I'd suggest to get the cold air intake, and some floor mats that you can get from mcgeorge parts at a discount.

Another hint: anything you feel you can install yourself, do it, and save money from the dealer installation charge. The dealer options in my opinion are way overpriced. Who the hell pays $300 for a mirror??
I respectfully (but totally) disagree with whosthatrussian about the auto-dimming mirror. I had one installed in my tC, and I love it. It is way better than the old-fashioned flip-switch on normal mirrors, especially if your eyes are sensitive to light because you wear contacts (like me) or for some other reason. The Homelink buttons (which allow you to control electric garage door openers, gates, etc.) are a nice addition, as is the map/ambient lighting, but the meat of it is the auto-dimming feature.

Bottom line, at least for me, is that if you have light-sensitive eyes, it's worth every penny -- especially in conjunction with some nice tint on the rear window.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to get? lol.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
just to defend my position, not that I feel that i'm being attacked, and I do respect your opinion, basilisk4, but check out this web site:

http://www.autoworldaccessories.com/script...category_id=685

The plain mirror, if that's what you really need is $124.18.

The one sold at the dealer, does not have an electronic compass, which is a good feature to have, and costs 228.76 on that site. I personally don't have a garage door to open, and usually those systems come with their remotes, so I feel that feature, although nice, is not as usefull as the price otherwise suggests. If you like the map lights, which I personally do on my parents' '99 old cutlass, that feature, including the compass on the auto dimming mirror is 248.37, still less than the dealer price.

Here's another one

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...ZX/appId-480268

and this one costs $250.

Btw, i'm not just posting to prove you wrong, I'm just supporting my statement that dealer prices are a rip-off.

edit: you can also get a brand new one on ebay for $150. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33699

from what I can tell, it shouldn't be too hard to install, although having never done it, I can't promise anything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, your jacking my thread. =(

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Originally posted by ufgatorfan@Aug 16 2004, 11:13 AM
I look forward to hearing your arguments.
I don't mean to jack your thread, I was just supporting my earlier statement about the mirror, and giving you different options if you want to go with it. Take it as you wish.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah, still on topic.
Anyways, I got the mirror too and am happy with the money I spent (I'd rather the dealer install something like that anyway...so I'm happy with the price).

As far as other choices: Lip spoiler, cargo mat? or net?, shift knob and/or pedals?, tinting after you get it? Oh yeah, and ground effects if you're really into that look.

I agree though that you could order the strut bar and mats off of the internet...and if you can easily jack your car up I'd get the anti-sway bar off the internet too...would help you save money and/or give you more money for more toys.

Grats on picking the tC, and good luck making a decision on the extras!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just kidding....mostly.

And the s/c isnt out yet, so thats not really another option.

Loopy,

I do like the pedals....thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Oh yeah, don't forget about the mudflaps either (about $30 off of the internet).

IMASAF posted about the installation...and you definitely want to keep your beautiful white car nice and beautifully white.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It's all good. imo, it depends on what you're leaning towards. If you're going for more performance, which to me it seams that you are (strut bar, sway bar, springs, etc), then I'd suggest saving up for the S/C when it comes out. If not, then I'd definitely get the AEM CAI and the TRD exhaust. Also, since you're upgrading the handling of your car, I'd also get the TRD shocks. From other people's experience, they make a big difference, and that should work out nicely for you. Good luck on all of your purchases.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hahaha... its funny how things can get so wild when I'm at lunch... lol..

About the autodimm mirror... I heard there is no real compass in it... its another advertising "mistake".... hahaha...

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Aug 16 2004, 12:04 PM
Btw, i'm not just posting to prove you wrong, I'm just supporting my statement that dealer prices are a rip-off.
from what I can tell, it shouldn't be too hard to install, although having never done it, I can't promise anything.
You make a good point, and I agree with you that the prices on pretty much all dealer-installed options are rip-offs (with the possible exception of the window tint, which seemed comparable to what it cost people I know to get a good tinting job done). The problem with buying the mirror separately and installing it myself, though, is, well, installing it myself. I'm not totally clueless when it comes to installing things or anything, but I was somewhat worried about the difficulty and also about voiding my warranty by crapping up my electrical system somehow.

So, I try to stick to things that aren't too technical when I install things myself...

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by imasaf@Aug 16 2004, 01:05 PM
Hahaha... its funny how things can get so wild when I'm at lunch... lol..

About the autodimm mirror... I heard there is no real compass in it... its another advertising "mistake".... hahaha...
There is no compass, but then again that is what I was told all along. It still sucks, though.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4+Aug 16 2004, 01:08 PM-->QUOTE (basilisk4 @ Aug 16 2004, 01:08 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-whosthatrussian
@Aug 16 2004, 12:04 PM
You make a good point, and I agree with you that the prices on pretty much all dealer-installed options are rip-offs (with the possible exception of the window tint, which seemed comparable to what it cost people I know to get a good tinting job done). The problem with buying the mirror separately and installing it myself, though, is, well, installing it myself. I'm not totally clueless when it comes to installing things or anything, but I was somewhat worried about the difficulty and also about voiding my warranty by crapping up my electrical system somehow.

So, I try to stick to things that aren't too technical when I install things myself... [/b]
I don't mean to jack the thread again, but i agree with you on that note, personally i'd definitely not want to screw up my new car by being cheap and not paying for the installation.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't mean to jack the thread again, but i agree with you on that note, personally i'd definitely not want to screw up my new car by being cheap and not paying for the installation. [/quote]
No worries, you brought it to the top. Maybe I will hear some more suggestions.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hmm... about the shift knob and the pedals... you are not limited to the small selection scion has... I think you can almost go with any shift knobs and pedals that say they are universal. Its up to you ... if you like the ones Scion sells.. go for it.

I personally like to refine the tC by dressing it up here and there... but no big changes. I have the door sills and they are nice... but I think ycart1201's decals for the area below the door sills are also a nice option to think about....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts