Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure I am not breaking new ground here, but a search did not reveal any reference to this test on this site. It was and can still is fairly hot on BMW forums.
It was a comparison test for filter applications for a diesel engine using a few various air filter makes. It is a bit beyond my ability to figure out all the data, but I thought I would post a link so maybe someone could get some use out of it. It may be some info here that can help making a choice on filtering that intake air. I cannot vouch for the accuracy but there is some info to consider...since the filter makers really tell you nothing.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Yeah, not a very fresh news. OEM filters filter better than K&N, but are way more restrictive. Up to end user if they want 15 years of engine life or 2 more HP

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
It's a charcoal filter for evaporative emissions. It has nothing to do with filtering particulates from the airstream.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
The new car features book tells all. Worth every penny.

The idea is to keep out the small particles. Small particles and oil is called rubbing compound. Not really what you want in your engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You basically want to worry about large objects...

Small microscopic particles burn up before they even reach the combustion chamber...

The K&N Filters work, the oil helps keep out particles smaller then the dry type oem filters can... But, they do not really increase much horse power...

Where the K&N filters will help you is in the long run... The K&N Filter plus Recharger filter oil will last you the life of your car.

This will work out cheaper then buying a new OEM filter every 15-30k or what ever is recomended...

So the best performance gain out of the K&N filter is on your wallet

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Experience does not bear this out. Those small particles collect on your valve stems and get pulled into the guide. They fall out of suspension and swirl around the outside of the piston and combine with the oil on the cylinder walls and accelerate ring wear.

I have run with and without air cleaners on different engines over the years. Running without an air cleaner requires a much shorter service interval, and much more frequent ring and valve guide replacement.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you change your stock air filter to say a k&n or an aftermarket filter will you get a different sound from your engine during accleration?

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
More than likely.

·
Registered
225 Posts
and this is just with the filter and not a whole new intake setup correct?

·
Registered
453 Posts
okay i just spoke with a customer service representative from K&N, he said that although the K&N typhoon intake is not fully approved for CA, it can pass smog and emissions, however, unitl it gets the final approval (which he made it sound liek it was coming soon) if a cop pulls you over for speeding or something of that nature and asks you to pop the hood...he can fine you for not having the approval sticker...

the rep did say that if i were to purchase this item now i could simply call as soon as it was approved and they would send me the sitcker ASAP

pretty sure im gonna buy this when i get my paycheck this friday....hope this little bit of info helps

·
Registered
453 Posts
i really am an idiot, i could have sworn this was a product specific discussion but now i relaize its not, after my post of course...well maybne that info i gave will help someone

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I just put a [email protected] air filter in my tC and I love it. I have noticed a slight improvment in power, but I really like the sound the engine makes now at around 3,000 rpms. It just sounds mean. Now I noticed that low touched on the issue of rubbing. I thought this wasn't a problem if you keep your oil clean. I change mine every 3,000 miles and I use Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic. Can't you just look at the oil on the dip stick and check for partical buildup?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
that article scared me... i took out my TRD filter and put the stock one back in

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
K&N filters will accelerate engine wear, and there's a chicken outside telling me the sky is falling.

I had a K&N cone on my Mitsu for 9 years. Took it off when I sold the car. Same filter went on the Honda for 3 years, until it got totalled. Took it off and sold it to a guy back East. If there is any shortening of the lifespan, it must be on a geologic timescale, too long for humans to notice.

Moot point anyway. I live in frickin' California. No intake purchase until one comes out with that precious sticker bearing the words "CARB exempt". Till then, they're all just really expensive pipe-- really expensive.

Remember to clean and oil your K&N at every oil change folks. Maintenance is key.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
the TRD filter basically a rebadged K&N? looks like one to me.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
I had a K&N filter on my '99 Corolla for about 70,000 miles and it still purred like a lawnmower when I sold it...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.