Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i wanted a little more power at a very low cost. right now with the holidays fast approaching money, as most of you know, is very tight. so i was reading through the forums and found that ZPI made more than 20 hp by removing the bottom of the intake box with the SC package.

i wanted to find out if this worked onthe N/A side. well guess what, it sure does. it is a little ghetto till i can make a more complete mod out of it but all i did was remove the bottom of the air box and zip tie the filter to the receiver side.

i know what it sounds like but na sayers, try it. do it and drive around for a while. you will be amazed. you get the intake sound and power for about $3.00 for zip ties.

double post warning, i have searched this forum up and down and have not found anyone who has done this yet.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is really hard with the MAF bolted to the airbox. trust me i thought of that one too. this works for now till i can make something a little more permanant.

Sorry, i am working on it.

· Registered
590 Posts
3 letters. G.F.I. very effective, takes a little work, and doesnt cost too much.

· Registered
62 Posts
Ok, that's a little TOO ghetto. I would feel more comfortable with the air filter sandwiched between the top and bottom parts of the air box. You could make a "swiss cheese" air box - just drill a lot of holes in the bottom. That way you will get plenty of air flow and it won't look as umm, well... ghetto.

· Registered
507 Posts
im glad to see that you are trying to do things to your car and i understand not everyone has the money to do things when they want. so i give you kudos on trying, however i can tell you that its not making as much power as you might think bc its been dyno proven time and time again that the best cold air intakes are only producing around 5hp increase. by takeing the bottom of the box off its really not doing as much as you think bc now you are taking the intake air from the fender where it is somewhat cooler and makeing the engine suck up all the hot air from the motor. plus you still have the restrictive stock filter on it so its really not sucking all that much more air in. it might sound good and maybe given you a very slight increase in power but its not going to be enough to make a big difference like it would on something that is force fed. not trying to down you or anything dude. but when it comes to the way you have the filter straped to the top of the stock box how about you try this. it will look better still open up the breathing to the point its at now and still have the sound you like. just take the bottom section of the box and cut the sides of it that you dont really see out. that way the side of the box facing the engine will act somewhat like a heat shield and the engine will still be sucking some of the cooler air from the fenderwell insted of the heat from the motor. plus if you would have done it that way you wouldnt have even spent the 3 bucks on zip ties. it would have been totally free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.