Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ended up getting a 2nd set of Pirelli Pzero nero M&S tires.. since the first turned out to be out of round. The 2nd set is on now, was smooth and great, then vibration showed up the 2nd day, took it back to discount tire.. and they found it out of balance. I have the stock 17" tC wheels..

I put some grease pencil marks between the tire and rim to see if the alignment of the marks moved (showing the tire moving on the rim), sure enough the tire is MOVING on the rim, and i am taking it very easy!!

Anything that can be done to stop this movement? what could be causing this?? is the rim "slippery"?? or the lubricant to mount the tire that discount tire is using? can they dry mount the tire without the lubricant?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,986 Posts
i was actually looking at the pirelli pzero nero's ... did you get yours from tirerack? its cheaper than the bridgestones and ALOT better (well it was rated alot better)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
Too much K-Y
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by phungy@Oct 10 2004, 01:18 PM
i was actually looking at the pirelli pzero nero's ... did you get yours from tirerack? its cheaper than the bridgestones and ALOT better (well it was rated alot better)
the pirelli's ARE better than the stock bridgestone re92 and better than the RE950's.. i've tried both.. the pzero nero m&s are very very good.. braking is much better, and steering feel is much sharper..

the first set i bought was from the Tire Rack.. don't let the price fool you, everytime i've ever bought tires from TireRack have turned out to be defective (out of round, or steel belts bad causing pull).. discount tire replaced 3 of the 4 tires under warranty, tire rack wouldn't do anything for me.. so no it's not worth buying there..

but yeah the pirelli's are really THAT good, the reviews are correct.. quiet, sticks well, handling is MUCH better..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by TCrazy@Oct 10 2004, 11:51 AM
sounds like install error......i would go somewhere else. -t
hey t-

so okay if they messed up the install how? is it that they used too much lubricant? can they dry mount a tire? I could go somewhere else, but i'd have to pay more $$$ and i've paid a lot for this tire mess.. if i can just tell them to dry mount a tire, would that fix it? let me know
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,429 Posts
I dont think it would be a good idea to dry mount the tires. friction.
tCrazy is right.

the lubricant most tire joints use is simple dish washing soap and lots of water. sorry, that stuff dries.


the only other think i can think of in this case, if the tires are mounted properly, is user error. low air pressure combined with hard acceleration could produce that effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by moriarty@Oct 10 2004, 08:53 PM
I dont think it would be a good idea to dry mount the tires. friction.
tCrazy is right.

the lubricant most tire joints use is simple dish washing soap and lots of water. sorry, that stuff dries.


the only other think i can think of in this case, if the tires are mounted properly, is user error. low air pressure combined with hard acceleration could produce that effect.
moriarty..

you're right about soap.. turns out that this tire place had switched to some lubricant that wasn't soap and water.. i found some of the lubricant on the outside of the wheel lip, looks like axle grease.. So I am going to another tire place to have them re-mounted..

I hear you about tire pressures and driver error, but drove very very slowly home (2 miles) and sure enough they had moved 1/8".. driving around moved them another 1/4 inch.. so yeah they are definitely moving.. I am going to try another place (a local dealer) who did a set of tires for me before and I didn't have that movement problem, just went to another place since they replaced 3 bad tires (out of round).. will go back to the first dealer, and mark the tires/rims.. if they move now, something is up with the stock 17" wheel.. but i doubt it..


thanks for the replies
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by sciontc_mich+Oct 10 2004, 05:45 PM-->QUOTE (sciontc_mich @ Oct 10 2004, 05:45 PM)
you're right about soap.. turns out that this tire place had switched to some lubricant that wasn't soap and water..  i found some of the lubricant on the outside of the wheel lip, looks like axle grease..  So I am going to another tire place to have them re-mounted..[/b]
grease? thats gross. yeah, man take that car to a different install joint and then tell you friends about your below par experience. I would hate to see that happen to others.

oh and i say again
<!--QuoteBegin-moriarty Posted: Oct 10 2004
@ 04:53 PM
tCrazy is right. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Mich,

You will be hard pressed to find a tire shop using anything but wheel mounting liquid. Its a liquid specially formulated to dry tackey after initially being very slick to aid in seating the bead. Honestly....... to me it sounds like you need to request the tire shop clean the entire inside/outside edge bead with a degreaser. Sometimes some lubrication gets on the edges and makes it impossbile to get a nice bead to form after the monting liquid dries. So bottom line.....have them clean the rims monting surfaces with Simple Green or another degreaser.....i bet that will help!!!!!! - t
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by TCrazy@Oct 10 2004, 10:30 PM
Mich,

You will be hard pressed to find a tire shop using anything but wheel mounting liquid. Its a liquid specially formulated to dry tackey after initially being very slick to aid in seating the bead. Honestly....... to me it sounds like you need to request the tire shop clean the entire inside/outside edge bead with a degreaser. Sometimes some lubrication gets on the edges and makes it impossbile to get a nice bead to form after the monting liquid dries. So bottom line.....have them clean the rims monting surfaces with Simple Green or another degreaser.....i bet that will help!!!!!! - t
hey t-
thanks for the advice.. yeah i'm taking it back to the scion dealer and letting them do the road force balance.. only reason i went to the tire dealer was to replace some defective tires.. i'll see if i can get into the dealer in the morning.. (if they're not busy, no appt here) thanks for the advice.. i'll let ya know what the scion dealer does, and how it goes..
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top