Scion tC Forums banner

Which of these is most important when choosing tires?

• Appearance (Do they look good)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Noise (Are they quiet while driving)

• Price (How much do they cost)

• Tread life (How long do they last)

• Wet Traction (Do they not slide easily in wet weather)

• Winter Traction (Will they work in snow and ice)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we have people from all walks of life here (unlike the Supra groups I belong to), I'm curious what most people want when they buy tires. I've seen a number of tire recommendations on the site, and I would like to know if most people have the same requirements, or if we are all over the map for how we choose tires.

Feel free to vote, then respond with the list in your prioritized order. Mine goes like this:

1. Dry Traction (they MUST stick in the dry)
2. Wet Traction (they BETTER stick in the wet)
3. Tread life (I'd like it if they last a whole year, more is better)
4. Price (Only a concern if they don't last a whole year)
5. Winter Traction (OK, so I MIGHT drive to the snow, will they put me in the ditch?
6. Noise (So what's a little noise?)
7. Appearance (They're all black rubber aren't they?)

Reactions: tnkmott

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
oh, i guess i didn't answer the question.

hold on to the road in wet conditions, almost as well as they do in dry.

follows my trend of years of life. seriously, my tires last for 3 or more years.

noise has never helped me make a choise

appearance? please. all go. no show.

i've had really good luck choosing tires. i did sell them for a while back in the day.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah i agree labfish..

it's funny how many bad tires i've found out there, it's like you have to go through many tires before you get ones that aren't out of round and are a smooth ride.. that's the biggest issue for me..

then it would be
1. steering feel
2. dry traction
3. wet traction
4. fuel economy of the tire
5. noise

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Believe it or not, I'm not even being sarcastic when I say this, but -- how could one choose tires based on appearance? I mean, unless you're planning on breaking out some retro whitewalls or something...who ever looks at someone's car and says, "Man, those are some badass tires!"??

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by Wolo@Jan 24 2005, 08:44 AM
Whitewalls would be dope. Mori should bring those back on his xA.
i was thinking that some white wall on a black xA. AND we can paint it to match those black and white geek squad beetles. that would look way retro with a modern twist.

blah.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by basilisk4@Jan 24 2005, 08:37 AM
Believe it or not, I'm not even being sarcastic when I say this, but -- how could one choose tires based on appearance? I mean, unless you're planning on breaking out some retro whitewalls or something...who ever looks at someone's car and says, "Man, those are some badass tires!"??
I believe it, but the truth is there are tires made and sold by appearance. Have you seen the tires with the colored stripes in them? Nothing about performance, all about looks.

Interestingly enough, there are a LOT of people who buy cars entirely based on their appearance, or "how they feel they look" in the car. It's certainly says a lot about the priorities of the majority of the motoring public, but I guarantee you conventional car salesmen know it and exploit it as much as they can.

·
Registered
52 Posts
lots of 18 inch tire sizes last upon average 12000-20000 miles as long as you do not peel out and abuse em, treadlife would be top on my list. Then it would be dry and wet traction followed by price b/c good tires are very difficult to find cheap

·
Registered
126 Posts
i want great snow tires in the winter so i live to drive another day and great tires that stick on dry ground for summer when in frying rice.......so pirello pnero zero's or falkren azenis in summer and bridgestone blizzaks in winter.....nuff said

·
Registered
832 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 22 2005, 06:41 PM
1. Dry Traction (they MUST stick in the dry)
2. Wet Traction (they BETTER stick in the wet)
3. Tread life (I'd like it if they last a whole year, more is better)
4. Price (Only a concern if they don't last a whole year)
5. Winter Traction (OK, so I MIGHT drive to the snow, will they put me in the ditch?
6. Noise (So what's a little noise?)
7. Appearance (They're all black rubber aren't they?)
Appearance is at the bottom of my list too. There are some butt ugly tires out there, but not many in the sizes these cars take.

1. Dry Traction. If they can't hold a dry road, what can they do?
2. Wet Traction. Living in Northwest Washington, it's wet out more than dry. 3. Noise. It's a pet peeve of mine. These cars are so nice and quiet, why put tires on them that make a lot of racket going down the road?
4.Winter traction. My tC is not a race car. I drive it in the snow and will continue to do so. I'd prefer not to swap tires twice a year if I can avoid it.
5. Price. It sure is easy to spend a lot of dough on tires, but there are some really great tires out there that are quite reasonably priced.
6.Tread life. Weird. I thought this would be higher on my list.
7. Appearance. If they don't look like they belong on a truck or have a picture of a tire on them I don't care.

These are the tires I'll be getting when these Bridgestones wear out.
http://www.nokian.com/passengercars_produc...&name=NOKIAN+WR

Sort of on topic, but unrelated. I saw an Escalade on 24" spinners the other day with whitewall tires. there was barely any black on either side of the white stripe and it looked ridiculous.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
For me, definately wet-traction followed by dry-traction (chances are, if it sticks in the wet it sticks in the dry). In a close third would be tread life... appearance, noise, and price don't play a part in it. Since I like to STICK to the road when driving. One can't put a price on safety, imho.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by courier11sec@Jan 27 2005, 07:51 PM
I saw an Escalade on 24" spinners the other day with whitewall tires. there was barely any black on either side of the white stripe and it looked ridiculous.
As if those beasts don't look ridiculous enough already...

·
Registered
38 Posts
1. Price (price is always important, i dont need the best tires, but as long as they are a solid, dependable tire there alright for me. i usually dont drive really fast, so higher performing, more expensive tires wouldnt be worth it to me)
1. Tread life (tread life is important since tire changes can get expensive)
3. Dry Traction (like to have control since its usually dry and sunny around here)
4. Wet Traction (doesnt rain here a bunch, but when it does, id like to be safe)
5. Noise (isnt really a big deal)
6. Appearance (most tires look the same anyways)
7. Winter Traction (i live in hawaii, so this is at the bottom)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.