Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been asking this on every tC board i've found.. get your input..
heard the Bridgestone RE92's aren't that great on the tC.. Looking at the Bridgestone RE950's.. any thoughts? want to keep the same size(215/45 - 17), just get something better.. also been thinking of the tirerack.com any thoughts on them?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance on this but....what's the difference between RE92s and RE950s?

I know pretty much nothing about tires. I know you need a certain size for a car, but when I've ever needed to replace some I've just taken my car in, said I need new all-weather tires in such-and-such price range and ::poof::...they pick some and put 'em on.

Hehe...I see the 215-45 - 17 all over place, but can't even begin to imagine what it means. Anyone have any insight they can lend, or a cool link to point me to? (Not sure if they howstuffworks would cover this sorta' question....)

THANKS! (And sorry I can't help answer your question!)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey loopylady..

time for class..

the 215 is in mm (millimeters) that's the width of the tire.. the 45 is 45% of the 215 which equals the height of the sidewall.. and the 17.. is the diameter of the rims.. here is a link to the tirerack.. and their explanation http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/size.jsp

from what I've seen the RE950's are modeled after the indy wet racing tire.. just seeing if anyone else has heard anything about it.. or used it before.. the reviews on the RE92's (the stock tires on the tC) were sending it to the bottom of the tirerack's list of customer reviews..

so have you heard when you're getting your car? i called my dealer and they just got mine allocated after a week.. so i'll have a total of 3 more weeks before it's delivered.. let us know what's going on .. seems you've been waiting awhile..

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
A lot of people swear by TireRack.com & 1010Tires.com, but I prefer to go someplace local so I get free rotations, flat repair, etc. for life...

If you do decide to go through TireRack, there's a banner in the rotation at the top of the page & any commissions earned through a purchase will go back into the site

**edited to add the following link:

The Tire Rack

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh didn't know that eric.. yeah when i do go to them.. (local bridgestone dealers are the scary kind.. ones you wouldn't let touch your bicycle, more less a new tC coupe).. i'd rather order them and let the dealer throw them on.. but when when i do order, i'll click here.. give ya some cash! thanks for letting me know!

·
Registered
619 Posts
i love my tires. They stick like crazy. Plus i get free replacements through my dealer for life so i'm stickin with them. Well 5 free sets anyway.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by C!ph3r@Jul 27 2004, 04:23 PM
i love my tires. They stick like crazy. Plus i get free replacements through my dealer for life so i'm stickin with them. Well 5 free sets anyway.
Free tires for life??? Why can't I get that deal??/

·
Registered
936 Posts
haha, im curious as to who you heard such reliable reviews from. The RE92's will grip well beyond the limits of most people's driving capability so dont bother wasting money on anything else

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey tcrazy..
mostly reviews from epinions and tirerack.com so i wanted to know if anyone had ever had the Potenza RE950's.. and what they thought of them..

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks for the lesson sciontc_mich!
Hehe.

Makes a lot more sense now....and maybe I won't feel so out of place when I walk into the tire store to get my first set of replacements.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey looplady..

glad you enjoyed the lesson.. you pass.. did you want your scratch n sniff sticker now?

so about your car.. what has the dealer told you when you're going to get it?
let us know..

-mark

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
from what i've seen on the reviews at the tirerack.com the OEM RE92's barely last 20,000 miles less on some cars.. and they're not driving them hard.. one camry owner who had these as stock, said that they were scary above 40mph in hitting puddles.. that's why i was asking about the RE950's and changing tires.. i figured Toyota cut costs somewhere.. at least it was the tires (something I can actually replace)..

here's the link to the reviews i was reading.. check it out for yourself..
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComme...commentStatus=P

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by sciontc_mich@Jul 28 2004, 02:09 PM
so about your car.. what has the dealer told you when you're going to get it? let us know..
He called me on my cell phone this morning and said it's on the lot! Now I just have to figure out if it's ready for pick up or if that'll have to happen tomorrow.

Trust me, I'll let you all know what I find out. LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts