Scion tC Forums banner

Tire Pressure Senor light is on all the time

21K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Lilryan101 
#1 ·
My daughter has a 2006 tC and just put on blizzaks. Since then her tire pressure sensor light has been on. She has tried resetting it using the golve compartment button with no results. The Toyota dealer has been of little help saying it is due to the cold temps. Any idea as to why this is happening or what to look for to get this fixed? Thanks.

#2 ·
If it is a 2006, that is not the case. The 2006 operates off of wheel speed sensors. So if one wheel is spinning faster than the others consistently, it reads this as a low tire. So if they are all lower than normal (due to cold weather), it will not trigger the light. The 07s and up have actual pressure sensors in the wheel, so they are a different story.

Check the tire pressures and make sure they are right. The fronts need to match and the rears need to match. If they are off from each other too much, it will trigger the light. If they look ok, perform the procedure in the manual for reseting the light and see if they come back on. If they do, you may have an issue with the wheel speed sensors. Be sure she is not just pressing the button, follow the directions in the manual (I believe you hold it for a bit longer) so it is properly reset.

Reactions: bepdanang
#3 ·
Not the new version. The 05 and 06 trigger off of wheel speed, the 07s and up have pressure sensors in each wheel on the valve stems. The feds have mandated that all new cars will have pressure sensors in the wheels, so this will be the norm on all cars.

#4 ·
Hm...I just put on a new set of wheels and its been a little chilly down here but the tire pressure sensor keeps comin on. None of the tires look low and its really starting to be a bother...Oh and I have an 06'

#5 ·
QUOTE (JP'sTc @ Jan 5 2008, 12:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360069
Hm...I just put on a new set of wheels and its been a little chilly down here but the tire pressure sensor keeps comin on. None of the tires look low and its really starting to be a bother...Oh and I have an 06'[/b]
Same with my '06...mine's been on for a while now. I check periodically, and the pressure is always properly matched and correct, and I don't feel any unusual pull or other symptoms of tire pressure issues. I haven't had time to commit to taking it to the dealership to have it looked at, but as long as the pressure is correct and I'm not feeling any adverse handling effects, I'm not too worried.

#6 ·
For those with 05/06 that put on new tires/wheels, did you try reinitializing the TPMS?

1. Inflate tires to correct pressure.
2. Turn the key to "ON" (Don't start engine)
3. Press/hold reset switch until light blinks 3 times.
4. Drive over 19mph for at least an hour to initialize the TPMS.

This is all in the manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.