Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never checked my tire pressure or anything until after my 5000-mile maintainence, because that's when the light came on. I didn't know it had to be checked once a month or more frequent or anything. I only checked my last car before long trips (and it was a piece of crap so I didn't care, lol) so I didn't think about it on this car. After the scheduled maintainence, the light came on on the way home, so I just held the button to turn it off. It came on again the next day so I stopped into Sheetz and checked the pressure with my cheap Wal-Mart digital tire gauge. I had been driving at least 20 miles to this point, and I didn't know anything about cold or warm tire pressure. The pressure was really low, so I filled it back up to 32psi in the front and 29psi in the back.

The next day the light came back on. I bought the car in Chantilly, VA (near DC) and I live an hour south (I got my car maintainence done down here in Fredericksburg), and I was going to my parents' house in Chantilly when it came back on. The next day I took it into my dealership and he told me about checking the pressure cold, and if there's still a problem, to take it into the dealership in F'burg where I got it serviced. I ran out of time while I was in town, but the next time I had an opportunity to take the car to a gas station with free air within a mile of where I was after the car had been settled for three hours (this is what the manual says), I filled it up.

Again, the light came back on. I figured this time, it must be my cheap digital gauge. The Sheetz I have been going to is less than a year old, and while I would expect the built-in gauge at an older station to be inaccurate, I figured this one has to be correct. So, the gauge on the air pump said they were all ridiculously high (like 5 to 10 psi) so I drained the air to match 32/29psi on the built-in gauge.

Came back on another time. I went back to Chantilly for Thanksgiving and got an old-fashioned tire pressure gauge from our garage. 26.5psi in the front and 24psi in the back. I work retail so I didn't have a whole lot of time again, so I filled it up the next night (Friday) after work because Sheetz is definately within a mile of my work, and this time I used the old-fashioned tire pressure gauge.

Saturday night, all Sunday, and this morning it was fine. The light had stayed off. Until 2 hours ago when I was on my way home from class!!!

What should I do!? After 3 hours I'm going to check the pressure to see what's going on, but this time I'm positive the tires were cold and that I had an accurate pressure gauge.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their tC? Help!

Thanks in advance...
-Alan

·
Registered
619 Posts
its very intersting to see someone with this problem. I had a tire go very low, light came on, refilled the tire. Worked fine for about a day. Filled it gain. Stayed for a few weeks this time but has once again come on. Any one else know about this? Anyone spoke to a dealer about it?

·
Registered
614 Posts
i say go back to the dealer close to you and make them look at it. if they don't want to, go to another dealer that's closeby. you shouldn't have to return all the way back to the dealer that you got it from. it's a maintainance problem that any dealer should take care of because you can get service and warantee work done at any scion dealer. at least that falls under what i was told about maintainance.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by scion tC owner's manual page 108-109
The tire pressure warning system does
not function properly under certain circumstances.
In the following cases, the
low tire pressure warning light may not
come on even if the tire inflation pressure
is low, or it may come on when
the tire inflation pressure is actually
normal.
 A compact spare tire, snow tires, or
tire chains are used.
 The tire inflation pressure is excessively
higher than specified, or tire inflation
pressure suddenly drops due to bursting
or other causes.
 The vehicle is driven on a slippery
road surface such as rough or frozen
roads.
 The vehicle speed is less than 30 km/h
(19 mph) or more than 100 km/h (62
mph), and the driving duration is less
than 5 minutes.
 The tires differ in tread pattern or
manufacturer.
 The tires are not the specified size.
 The tread wear is very different among
the installed tires.
 Rapid acceleration/deceleration or
sharp turns is continued.
 The loading is over the limit or imbalanced.
 Initialization was not performed correctly
after replacing or rotating tires or
wheels.
 The outside temperature is below 0C
(32F) or above 40C (104F).
perhaps this may help.....

·
Registered
936 Posts
so basically (according to that list), the tire pressure light wont come on.................ever???? hahaha, theres so many stipulations to the damn thing its worthless in my opinon.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Well ya know it's just an idiot light for dummies anyways. Did you think it was gonna cure your need for a pressure gauge???

Just one more sensor to just drive us nuts. LoL

·
Registered
619 Posts
thats just it. its driving me nuts. it comes on all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.