Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

I appreciate any info on this...

I just got my tC last saturday and after a few mile off from the dealership, the "tire pressure/guage" thing lit up. I remember the guy explained it to me briefly that I should check the tire pressure and reset it. - I did and it was all correct 32psi on the front and 29psi on the back. - But after a few miles, it lit up again. and i did the check again and reset and same tihing happens. i did it more than 5 times now. Does someone know what the cause of this is and what would be the fix? Should I call the dealer?

thanks!

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Call the dealer - something isn't right there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just called the dealership and they told me to check the spare tire. Hmmm... i wonder if he knows what he is talking about. Does anyone here knows how the tire pressure guage works? I want to have an idea.
thanks again.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
It has nothing to do with the spare tire - your dealership is clueless.

What the TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) does is measure the rotational speed of the tires. If one suddenly starts spinning a lot faster than the others (indicating low tire pressure), the light will go on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
check the spare tire?!?

..wow..

but krdshrk's explaination of it is right on the dot.. and if it's goin off that soon off the lot, and right after you checked the pressure on each tire and they came out alright.. there is definitly something wrong..

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
It might be a messed up rim that's spinning very incorrectly. Other than that, I don't know what it might be.

·
Registered
180 Posts
never thought about that.. an oblong rim could cause some issues.. but it still doesn't excuse him from the "check the spare tire" comment. i dunno, at times i wish dealers were half as enthusiastic about selling/representing scion as those who buy them. i mean there are some really hardcore scion reps like the infamous raul h. from elmhurst scion (formally) who flew out to cali to get an xB since they werent being sold here yet. sorry about ranting, just upsets me when i see sales people very uninterested in what they sell.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Ok that was completely off topic and random, beezy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by ecks@Jan 4 2006, 11:21 PM
never thought about that.. an oblong rim could cause some issues.. but it still doesn't excuse him from the "check the spare tire" comment. i dunno, at times i wish dealers were half as enthusiastic about selling/representing scion as those who buy them. i mean there are some really hardcore scion reps like the infamous raul h. from elmhurst scion (formally) who flew out to cali to get an xB since they werent being sold here yet. sorry about ranting, just upsets me when i see sales people very uninterested in what they sell.
My sentiments exactly! My guy was "supposed" to be the SCION expert in the dealership but DANG! hehe I kknida know more about him in regards to the tC.

Oh well...

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
An out of round rim would not cause this problem. If the tires are inflated correctly, the only thing that would cause this is a problem with a wheel speed sensor or the computer to which it is connected. Since the car is brand new, that would also seem most likely as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 7 2006, 03:23 PM
An out of round rim would not cause this problem. If the tires are inflated correctly, the only thing that would cause this is a problem with a wheel speed sensor or the computer to which it is connected. Since the car is brand new, that would also seem most likely as well.
Thanks for the info. Is this a major or just a minor problem? Also, do you know if its a time consuming job for the dealer? I have an appointment on wed morning and I am hoping that they finish the job fast so that I dont have to be late for work.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
It depends on whether they need to order a part, or if it is simply a loose connection that needs to be reseated. If they have to order a part, it may take some time depending on what part is faulty. Wheel speed sensors aren't a common failure item, so if it is the sensor they'll likely be ordering a part. If it is a wiring problem they might be able to fix it same day. If it is the ECU associated with ABS/Skid control/tire pressure monitoring, they will almost undoubtedly be ordering a part and it will be a minute before it shows up.

PDI is pre-delivery inspection. There's a complete checklist of things the dealership is supposed to check before giving the keys to you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by tCstyle14+Jan 7 2006, 11:12 PM-->QUOTE (tCstyle14 @ Jan 7 2006, 11:12 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-fuzion
@Jan 7 2006, 08:47 AM
Part of the PDI is to check all tire pressure, then reset the tire pressure monitor.. did they make you install your own mirrors and fill up your own tank of gas?
whats a PDI? and no and no. [/b]
PDI = Pre-Delivery Inspection

When it rolls off the truck the mirrors are installed and everything is SUPPOSED to be checked, when you buy the car you get a full tank of gas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.