Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a small dial gauge to check my tire pressure. Today I bought another, larger dial gauge which has much easier to read notations on it, as well as a pressure relief valve. On a whim, I decided to compare the pressure readings from each gauge. They're both from the same company, Campbell Hausfeld, and I bought them both from Wal-Mart. The smaller gauge I've had for several months and paid about $3.50-ish for it. The other I bought today and paid about $8-ish for it.

For some reason, the smaller gauge reads ~3 psi higher than the larger gauge. I checked it on all four tires, and on my old VW Golf's tires and the small gauge always read higher than the larger gauge.

I just want to know what's up with this? I'm not expecting to get laboratory quality measurements here, but 3 psi is quite a discrepancy. I'm not even sure which gauge to go by now. I've heard of high-priced, $80+ gauge that compensate for atmospheric pressure and all sorts of other fancy things, (and I'm definitely not in the market for one of those)... could something like this cause the difference in readings?

I've heard you can take your gauge to a dealership or tire shop and they can calibrate them with a master gauge, or something like that... has anyone tried this before? Like I said, I'm not expecting a super accurate reading, but I'd like to have some confidence that the readings I'm getting are at least close to where they should be.

EDIT: I speel guud.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have switched over to a digital tire pressure gauge. I have found that even with a very good mechanical dial gauge that rough treatment will take its toll on the accuracy. If you ever take the gauge apart you will see why. Most have a springs little rods, and gears that remind you of an old watch inside. They are subject to getting out of calibration. have you noticed that some of them have a big rubber protection ring around them? It is for shock protection. I used a Neo-tech digital gauge for years..until it finally gave up. I now just have a Radio Shack one. Seems to work well and I have checked it against other digitals and have never seen more than one-half psi difference in readings.

·
Registered
664 Posts
the brand i ended up going with was Accutire.. i usually got them at target, not sure what models they're selling now at target, but it's usually accutire..
and they're digital by the way..

i agree digital is less susceptible to damage as mechanical is.. sure you don't want to smash the digital on the ground (it will break) but normal usage digital is better..

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys... I may end up buying a digital one. But first I'm going to see if I can't get these dial gauges calibrated someplace. Call me old fashioned (funny, coming from a computer geek).

·
Registered
834 Posts
I also use digital ones. I have one in the tC and one in my drag car.
It's nice having it read in half pound increments. Believe it or not just a half pound difference side to side can send you off to the side on a launch.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Why spend the money recalibrating a $3.50 or $8 gauge when you can get a great digital one for $20

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you know your digital gauge is accurate?

I figured someone would calibrate it for free, anyways... if I ever find the time to make it to someplace that knows how to do it. lol

·
Registered
664 Posts
Originally posted by JFBP4991@Jan 2 2006, 09:18 PM
Has anyone found a tire pump with a digital tire pressure gauge built right in?  If anyone has found one online, please post the site.  I am very interested in one of these but have yet to find one for sale online.
no.. the craftsman tire pump i have is analog.. but it's accurate and matches up it's reading to my accutire digital gauge..

might check out sears.. see if they have a digital one built into any of their inflator/compressors

·
Registered
664 Posts
Originally posted by beezy@Jan 5 2006, 10:11 AM
im thinking of gettin this, not a bad price. http://www.axshop.com/details.aspx/sku-456/
it's up to you if you want to save some $$$ depends on how easy it is to get the air pressure reading.. some of these don't have a deep neck and they let all sorts of air out..

not to sound like an ad, but that's why I liked the accutire brand, deeper neck, less chance of the air seeping out when checking it.. they're over at target.. but like $10 and $12..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.