Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to rotate the tires, is it possible to lift one whole side of the car up and switch the front and back with the jack provided from the car?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yes, but I would put a jackstand under the car. If the OEM jack falls (and it will really easily with only two wheels on the ground if it moves just a little) you'll be might pissed off about not putting a stand under it.

You'd be WAY ahead to spent $80 and buy an inexpensive floor jack. There are lots of them now that will do what you want and don't cost much. Floor jacks are hard to tip over, so the job will be much less stressful for you.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Here in GA, NTB is my friend. Nobody can beat free tire rotation...

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Aren't tires supposed to be rotated from one corner to the other, or at least from one side to the other? That's what I've always been told, and while switching front and back tires on the same side would even out wear to same extent on a FWD car, they would still wear unevenly on the sides...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
If you don't have directional tires, then:

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Interesting diagram. Where did you get it? I've always been told to never reverse the tire's rotation after it has been used in one direction to avoid aggravating the lap joint used to complete the tire. I've definitely seen motorcycle tires start to chunk after being re-installed the other way on a rim.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well. The diagram above was in pretty much every users manual of every car I owned so far. tC is an exception - either because there is an option with directional tires, or because something changed in the universe, but in any case, tC's manual says do front and back swap without swapping sides.

That's where the diagram come from:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tire+rot...G=Google+Search

·
Registered
675 Posts
i had a civic before (1996) that disagreed with the cross rotation pattern.. Had a problem before with tire pull after cross rotation, so i kept with only front to back, never had the problem again. I can see why scion said front to back, probably to stop complaints of tire pull.. Must be something with the double-wishbone set ups.. civic had that as well..

·
Registered
266 Posts
The last few cars that I have had had the front to back on the same side of the car method. I had assumed it was for the same reason Lo Bux said. I remember the cross method in some of the older car owners' manuals. I guess new info and design changes methods at times. When I was a wee kid....they told us to always brush our teeth in a up and down. Now it is across a year from now who knows.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i looked at the manual today and it says the car should only be jacked up from the front or the back, not the side. Has anyone rotated the tires themselves by lifting the side of the car?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No, it says you can lift the vehicle from 6 different locations, four of which are long the floor pan and rocker panel seam. This is standard across nearly all cars, and is how you are supposed to lift the car with the OEM jack. There is a short section with two half round cutouts behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel to use the jack they supplied. This is also where you would use jackstands to support the car if you lift it with the front and rear jack points using a floor jack. Page 01-21, FSM.

·
Registered
118 Posts
well i rotated my tires last week by lifting one side at a time and i had no problem. it also started to rain when i was half way done and still had no problem but you should listen to what everyone said about getting the floor jack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.